HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, WI, Kenosha
Joined May 2011
64 Posts
Question
What Is Spackle?

Hopefully this isn't too much of a noob question, but:

What is spackle? I see it mentioned in the build threads and I've started some foam projects. Just curious as to what this product is and what it does.

Thanks,

Rikter
Rikterscale is offline Find More Posts by Rikterscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:41 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,242 Posts
Lightweight filler.Pick a tub up you think it's empty.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:31 PM
Fly low...Feel the high!
Cumming, GA
Joined Mar 2005
182 Posts
It's lightweight spackling available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart or any other hardware store out there.
computerdag is offline Find More Posts by computerdag
Old Jun 02, 2012, 04:22 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Rickter,

Spackle is a brand name of a material made of powdered gypsum and glue. It is used in the drywall industry to fill cracks and holes in drywall, which is also made of gypsum. It has no holding strength so don't plan on it keeping servos and such in place.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
is this available in the Uk and if so what name does it go under..?
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:14 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,810 Posts
Go to any store that sells house paint and ask for light weight hole filler. Like was said, if the container feels empty, that's the right stuff.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:53 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Hey Rickter!

As you can see, it is readily available at Home depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. The brand I use is by "Dap".

As for uses -- I use it in the finishing process. Straight out of the tub, you can use it to fill dings and dents prior to final sanding and painting. I've also used it to make seams and joints disappear in preparation for final coating of paint.

I also use it in the "primer" process -- "Freddie B's Special Sauce" - as I like to call it -- it is a mixture of acrylic paint, minwax polycrilic, talcum powder, water and lightweight spackle. In short, you paint it on, sand it down, and then put your final coat of paint over that.

As mentioned earlier, you would not want to use it to hold anything together or without puting a top coat over it (it is not waterproof, and can be brittle when dry). It's just one of those tools that can be used to make a scratchbuilt foamy appear not "scratchbuilt" and not "foamy".

Hope that helps!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:37 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
is this available in the Uk and if so what name does it go under..?
Polycel do one,just ask for light weight filler.Don't buy from model shops(price)
Most DIY brands have there own make.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46