HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
More Planes Than Sense
United States, PA, Wexford
Joined Feb 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
Yes. The DX9 is more sensitive. You have to stand almost 6' away or further sometimes.

Can you try to bind and post if it works?
Just finished moving the GeeBee to the DX9. What I did was confirm that it bound to the DX8 at close range (about a foot). Then I attempted to bind it to the DX9.

I had to move more than 10 ft. away to get it to bind. It bound as DSM2. I tested the controls and then pulled the battery.

I put the battery back with the DX9 less than a foot away and had no troubles. I tried this 3 or 4 times all successfully
wgarman is online now Find More Posts by wgarman
Last edited by wgarman; Yesterday at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman View Post
Just finished moving the GeeBee to the DX9. What I did was confirm that it bound to the DX8 at close range (about a foot). Then I attempted to bind it to the DX9.

I had to move more than 10 ft. away to get it to bind. It bound as DSM2. I tested the controls and then pulled the battery.

I put the battery back with the DX9 less than a foot away and had no troubles. I tried this 3 or 4 times all successfully
Yup. The Gee Bee uses the old DSM2-only brick with the 3A ESC. The more recent AS3X planes use the DSM2/DSMX brick with the 4.9A ESC.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman View Post

Thank you. I got on the phone with horizon hobby this afternoon. Sure enough. 10' away was required to bind.

Back out to a test flight and crashed without power after take off. But still has controls. I tested it on the ground and full throttle makes the ESC overheat and shut off the motor. So I gave it half throttle and hand launched. Worked great for two flights.

Now I know why it was discontinued.

Thanks again!
wilanz is offline Find More Posts by wilanz
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
More Planes Than Sense
United States, PA, Wexford
Joined Feb 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Thank you. I got on the phone with horizon hobby this afternoon. Sure enough. 10' away was required to bind.

Back out to a test flight and crashed without power after take off. But still has controls. I tested it on the ground and full throttle makes the ESC overheat and shut off the motor. So I gave it half throttle and hand launched. Worked great for two flights.

Thanks again!
Check earlier in this group. That issue has been addressed, too.
wgarman is online now Find More Posts by wgarman
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,624 Posts
Quote:

Thanks again!
Yea that is a problem with some geebees, The over current protection kicks in on a fully charged battery. once the voltage goes down a bit the problem goes away. there is a notice about it on HH's site.... You can either go full throttle for 30 seconds before taking off to run down the battery a bit, or switch to a GWS 5x3 prop, which works better than the stock prop anyway and wont activate the OCP....

IMO it was discontinued becaue it didn't sell well due to being WAY overpriced.... I wanted one bad, but wasn't about to spend >$200 on an UM plane... I bought two once they went on clearance, one at $99 and one at $69.... Awesome plane IMO, but should have been priced at $120 to start.....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur