HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:09 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,031 Posts
Thanks much Gree! The "Going for detail" thread is not mine... that is Luft40's. My thread's name could be called "going for as much detail as possible until the urge to fly beats out the urge to build".
I recessed my intercooler doors with a razor knife... no chisel small enough in my shop. I just scored the outside lines and then cut away the balsa to the correct depth. Thanks for the idea... it makes a big difference in looks.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:51 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Sorry man, too many threads I'm following. Whoops!
Gree is online now Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Rubbish workmanship again Gree!

Good to see you back trying desperately to make a half decent model against all odds!!

Jeff.
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
Rubbish workmanship again Gree!

Good to see you back trying desperately to make a half decent model against all odds!!

Jeff.
And so the abuse begins again! LOL
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Hi rcwings, yes, it has to be done otherwise Gree gets all despondant! It also makes him try harder. (and God knows he needs to)

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
Hi rcwings, yes, it has to be done otherwise Gree gets all despondant! It also makes him try harder. (and God knows he needs to)

Jeff
I agree completely!
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:10 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
A lot more rivets done today. Fuse is 3/4 finished.... With any luck I will get the metal paint on it by mid week.

(Notice how deftly I avoid the barbs so callously hurled my way with ne'er a thought for the delicate condition of my soul. Nice to have you back guys)
Last edited by Gree; Oct 20, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:42 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Well I put in a massive day on the riveting today, and would have gotten it finished tonight if my $7, 15W soldering iron didn't decide to die after I took a break for dinner! I guess you get what you pay for, but it was perfect for this job. I'll have to try to find another one tomorrow afternoon somewhere, but basically this is going to put my plans to paint tomorrow evening on the back burner

I had been studying multiple reference excruciatingly to try to get the rivets as accurate as possible, and I think I haven't done a bad job, with one or two concessions in total. Jeff will spot them in a heartbeat I'm sure... Putting all of my electronic reference into Dropbox on my computer means I can access it all on my iPad from the basement, but still centrally manage and add to it...

Here are some dodgy shots of the progress today. Another hour would have done it! I also still have to and the screw heads to the fasteners but that doesn't take too long. Oh well, I will go and get some exercise instead I suppose...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:50 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Well I put in a massive day on the riveting today, and would have gotten it finished tonight if my $7, 15W soldering iron didn't decide to die after I took a break for dinner! I guess you get what you pay for, but it was perfect for this job. I'll have to try to find another one tomorrow afternoon somewhere, but basically this is going to put my plans to paint tomorrow evening on the back burner

I had been studying multiple reference excruciatingly to try to get the rivets as accurate as possible, and I think I haven't done a bad job, with one or two concessions in total. Jeff will spot them in a heartbeat I'm sure... Putting all of my electronic reference into Dropbox on my computer means I can access it all on my iPad from the basement, but still centrally manage and add to it...

Here are some dodgy shots of the progress today. Another hour would have done it! I also still have to and the screw heads to the fasteners but that doesn't take too long. Oh well, I will go and get some exercise instead I suppose...
Holy crp that look amazing. Are you sure you're going to want to fly this once it's done? Great job mate, pity about the iron!
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:42 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks very much....

You know I'm not sure about having the balls to fly it! I'm sure I will when the time comes, but man my knees will be knocking I can assure you. Really though I am treating this first build as my learner. I've never done any of these techniques before so I just want to see if I can actually do it.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:15 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,616 Posts
You're a crazy man, Gree. I'm not sure they put that much work into the original.

What's Mike Black's line? It needs to be placed in a glass case in a quiet room with soothing music piped in.

Regard.s,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
You're a crazy man, Gree. I'm not sure they put that much work into the original.
They definitely built the original one faster.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
They definitely built the original one faster.
Ouch!

Yes but you're right there... What is EVERYONE going to take Jeff's lead (the crazy Jeff in the UK I mean)? I'm more delicate than you all think you know!
Last edited by Gree; Oct 21, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Rivets are done!

I finished riveting the fuse last night! Managed to fix up my old soldering iron that had the set screw stripped out. So next is an all over sanding of the fuse to knock off all of the rivet burrs, and then a coat of shiny aluminium!

I also just realised that I haven't riveted the gear doors or even glassed the ailerons or flaps yet! Oh well progress is progress!

I'll post some pictures when the fuse is sanded back ready for final paint...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:47 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Gree with all that you have done you could have skinned the plane in real aluminum rather than waste time burning, filling, sanding and such.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike