HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Considering all the "first time" events on this production... well done! The video duration nicely kept the scenes from being repetitive, and nice maiden flight as well.

I'd like to see what the video looks like without the "de-shake" filtering that is evident with the "dancing landing gear and black border". It's just a personal preference thing, though. I find the artifacts from deshaking of aerial video usually worse than the native video itself. But that's just me! Nice first efforts!
The only "de-shake" filtering. is the filtering youtube does when they "fix" you videos. here is the raw unedited video.. remember it the raw footage so no complaining!! LOL.. I also used roxio media creator. ( a pain in the but) easy to create..very hard to make a quality format.. I had to save as an image file the convert to a video file both my computer and youtube would except...while trying to maintain a video that wasn't all blurry... Ohh... on this video I tole youtube "not" to correct the video in anyway...( ie raw)
Duke B60 First flight (7 min 17 sec)
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
When you turn on the camera, are you pressing the power button and no other button? If you press the shutter button immediately after powering up it's posible to start a normal recording and by pass the initial motion detection function for the first video clip.
hi, yes i was starting the cam in the normal way. after further experimenting after your post i've discoverd the cam starts itself after a little delay without pressing any other buttons. thanks for your advice, but i didnt see this instruction anywhere unless i overlooked it so i think it could do with a mention as i spent hours trying unsuccessfully to get it to function. now with your pointer it works a treat, thanks.
brianvc is offline Find More Posts by brianvc
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:29 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Tom,

Are you (legally) allowed to fly over your local neighborhood like, that and high high were you - above 300ft or does the lens just make it look like about 500ft?

Rubis,

Is that how the battery connector comes mounted or did you modify it to suit your needs.
I only opened my #16 once when I first got it (about this time last year) and can't remember how the connector was mounted and I'm too lazy to open it up again to do a comparison.
So I'm not quite sure what your question is. I think I saw in one of Tom's or ISO's or Comic's? video's that the PCB had to removed to be able to unplug the battery, so I'm guessing that's what you are getting at?

-B!LL!
There's no "law" against my flight, but I'll admit it's not a good idea. I rarely do something like that since it's against our standard AMA guidelines. Aside from that, the plane is a light, foam slow-flyer, so not a particular hazard relatively speaking, and portions of the video are sped up by factors of 2x and 4x, as well as slowed down by a factor of 4X at the "end" (which is really the beginning... the video was shot with the camera facing aft, and then reverse during editing). Also, the wide angle lens does make the plane look a LOT higher than it really is.

The picture Rubis posted does not look like a #16 circuit board to me, but that is beside the point probably. There may be height limitations in changing the orientation of the plug as well. I just loosen the screws holding down the circuit board to let the plug clear the edge of the case. The edge of the circuit board plug can be lifted slightly as I recall.

More important to me is how tight the battery plug fits the socket, requiring a lot of force and/or side-to-side wiggling to get the plug to release. That stresses the solder joints of the tiny socket pins, so I do it carefully and slowly with a tool to work it out of the socket. The same issue would exist if the socket were vertical. I've considered hot gluing the socket to the circuit board to give it some strain relief. Maybe it could be permanently tilted up slightly as well to allow the battery plug to clear the case?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:16 AM
France, Aquitaine, Blaye
Joined Jan 2010
114 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it could be permanently tilted up slightly as well to allow the battery plug to clear the case?

OK Tom
, you have 100% reasons it should just lift a little good flight connector

@+++
Rubis is offline Find More Posts by Rubis
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Tom ,

Is it possible to put a poll in the forum thread asking which is everyone's favourite video editor is for the #16 (and/or #11).

Because as well as those you suggest in post #3 (editors, converters etc) and over the course of the thread's 736 pages (11033 posts) many others have been mentioned as peoples favorites. Quite often I download demo versions but have never settled on one in particular.
I would be curious to know which one get's voted as the best/preferred by readers of the thread, perhaps if you could make a list of say 5 or 6 of the one's YOU currently prefer/use most often.

Also now that Motion Detect and Time Lapse are included, that might effect which editor is best/preferred now that those functions have to be considered when editing.

Or is my idea completely pointless because different editors are used depending on what you actually want to achieve with the finished video.
(And perhaps the fact that Polls can't be put on thread - I dunno if they can or not!!)

-B!LL!
Bill, any one who is registered here can post a poll, but it has to be a new thread, which makes it remote from this one. I've tried a lot of editors, and it's definitely a personal preference thing, so for me what others think is best doesn't necessarily fit my needs. So, I don't think a poll will tell you much. As you suggested, it all depends on how much editing and what type you want to do. Some editors are better at some functions than others. Many just want to trim out some unwanted sections and be done with it. I only commented on the free ones for this reason in my early thread post.

I hope we don't get a lot of posts listing what everyone's favorite editor is for this reason, but since this is "my" thread, FWIW my favorite "do all I need it to do in the easiest way with the lowest price" editor is a German product from MAGIX.com Movie Edit Pro 2013 Plus in it's latest version. But this may have too much capability, too steep a learning curve, or too high a price point for a lot of folks. I mention it ONLY because it is not one of the top 3-4 home use commercial editors due to it's foreign origin, but I've not found any of the othrs I like better.

Also FWIW, there is a new Windows Movie Maker now available which taps some built-in capability of new Windows 8 hardware GPU off-loading, giving it a built-in video stabilization toggle. I've tried it and it does a decent job, and it uses a slight video zoom to eradicate the border stretching and visible dancing that was seen in the recent video that used the YouTube "fix" that adds a ton of artifacts to the video which I personally don't like. But this is only available if you are running the new W8 OS, which I find abysmal unless you toggle to the conventional more that mimicks W7 format (and even then, it's abysmal!). I'll just add that the other significant addition the new WMM has that IS accessible to W7 and Vista users is an optional output with H.264 video codec in a standard .MP4 container. This might interest some folks, but I find the Windows standard .WMV packaging and HD codec output is better in many situations, though slightly larger file size. See how I'm getting way off topic!

Back on topic, the Time Lapse and Motion Detection functions will not necessarily favor one editor over another because there are third party tools (like PhotoLapse) that can quickly join many hundreds (thousands?) of time lapse .JPG images to form a "standard" MJPEG .AVI video file that can be loaded into just about any editor out there.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
The only "de-shake" filtering. is the filtering youtube does when they "fix" you videos. here is the raw unedited video.. remember it the raw footage so no complaining!! LOL.. I also used roxio media creator. ( a pain in the but) easy to create..very hard to make a quality format.. I had to save as an image file the convert to a video file both my computer and youtube would except...while trying to maintain a video that wasn't all blurry... Ohh... on this video I tole youtube "not" to correct the video in anyway...( ie raw) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWLqS...ature=youtu.be
I find this version MUCH MUCH easier on the eye and realistic when viewing. Take a look at the free editing tools in my early post #3, i think. You can trim off that first 4 minutes of flight prep (and any other sections) without ANY video degradation with a couple of the listed editors.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
hi, yes i was starting the cam in the normal way. after further experimenting after your post i've discoverd the cam starts itself after a little delay without pressing any other buttons. thanks for your advice, but i didnt see this instruction anywhere unless i overlooked it so i think it could do with a mention as i spent hours trying unsuccessfully to get it to function. now with your pointer it works a treat, thanks.
There is actually NO built-in delay (at the present) before the motion detection becomes active (it's active as soon as the camer power is turned on), but there can be a slight delay before there is enough motion to trigger the detection to start a recording. This can be something as simple as placing the camera in a resting spot and pressing the power button there with little motion versus moving the camera while pressing the power button. The sensitivity of the motion detection is at play here. And it's a double edged sword between having a very sensitive motion detection and/or having a slight built-in delay to give you time to put down the camera without triggering an unwanted video clip. This is all under review and revision right now, which is why there is nothing mentioned in the instruction manual about it yet (though it has been mentioned in recent posts!).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,114 Posts
Quote:
I find this version MUCH MUCH easier on the eye and realistic when viewing. Take a look at the free editing tools in my early post #3, i think. You can trim off that first 4 minutes of flight prep (and any other sections) without ANY video degradation with a couple of the listed editors.
Im not home so i cant check but do they take multiple videos and splice them together?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
Im not home so i cant check but do they take multiple videos and splice them together?
Yes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,114 Posts
Thankyou. Ill look into them tonight
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Charging-function of battery ceased

Today all of the sudden I get no green charging-light when connecting cam with USB. Battery is far away from beeing full (recorded 25 minutes before). Tried several times disconnecting and connecting again - also started and stopped cam inbetween - no success. No mechanical impact to the cam. No low temperature. Had this never before. Any ideas?

Edit:
Okay - looked again on the cam after I wrote this (10 minutes later). Now green light was on. I cannot say, how long it took for green light to go on, because I didn't look at cam inbetween. But after connecting cam with USB I waited about 1 minute watching the cam. Nothing happened. So delay was at least one minute, maybe more. So far green light always went on immediately (1-2 seconds) after connecting cam with USB. What could be the reason for sudden delay?

George
fastguy is offline Find More Posts by fastguy
Last edited by fastguy; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,451 Posts
i know this is technically not RC, but could someone answer this question, if i want to use my #16 as a helmet cam, and run it through the usb lead which will be plugged into a usb to cigarette lighter adapter and run off the bikes battery, the usb adapter says input 12v and output 5v/1A, do i need to take out the lipo or can i just leave it in
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit View Post
i know this is technically not RC, but could someone answer this question, if i want to use my #16 as a helmet cam, and run it through the usb lead which will be plugged into a usb to cigarette lighter adapter and run off the bikes battery, the usb adapter says input 12v and output 5v/1A, do i need to take out the lipo or can i just leave it in
carl
I'd just leave it in. No reason not to and your clock would reset every time you unplugged it.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:44 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,451 Posts
cheers Aviefly for your quick answer

carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Hi!
1) I was playing with my #16 camera, trying to solder pitch correction module to microphone and accidentally i shorted something on the board. I didn't found any visual marks and camera still working fine. However since that happen camera eating the battery two times faster than it was before! It is the first generation of the camera. I have tried update firmwares, but nothing helps.
2) And also i have the second camera (second generation with tv-out) and it doesn't turning on. I also accidentally shorted something on the board. Every transistors and resistors look fine to me, what could happen? And is any way I can try to repair? Please any advice. It's important for my project.
If anyone can target me to the right direction where to look and what to resolder on the board I would be appreciate!
manhunt is offline Find More Posts by manhunt