SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:26 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Hugeone, have a look at Digikey.com for an adapter part number ACX1248-ND (CONN SMA ADAPTER JACK-R/P PLUG; Amphenol; 132171RP-10) that may solve your SMA connector issue on your AIO goggles and 5.8GHz Skew-Planar Wheel.

- Marc
MacNorth is offline Find More Posts by MacNorth
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:19 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
Wow I feel really dumb....

from the first couple of pictures I was thinking that this antenna would be slightly larger than a softball, but you guys on 5.8 are making them the size of golf balls!!!!

If I made one for 1.2 would it still be about that small, or a lot bigger? -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:27 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Look up a few posts and you will see my esitmated measurements of my 1.3 version, and a few pics of it on my easy star.

It is relatively big, but not unweildly.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:28 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Ah, here it is compared to an E*

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:30 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Or check the video. I fly a 1.3 GHz skew planar wheel. It is about 4.25" in diameter and 2" tall. About half of a softball for 1.2/1.3 GHz.

It is a bit draggy, but well worth it for the performance.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,614 Posts
Alex,

I've been reading this thread over. Question on the CP VTx antennal. Do you need a CP VRx antenna to match or will it work with a regular patch? Reason I'm asking is I see talk on the VTx side but not much in how to construct a CP VRx antenna.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:42 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
I know you Q is aimed at Alex, but...Did you see the helical tutorial in his blog?? It is very easy Vrx antenna. Also you can use the SP antenna as RX too! I built both but weather has been very bad so I have done very little comparisons with conventional antennas.

Either way the CP can communicate with a linear antenna, you just get 3dbi automatic loss, BUT it is constant and not dependant on Vtx orientation. This is the reason it was recommended in teh past by Schrerrer (and probably others) to use a CP antenna as Vrx and linear one the plane (for convenience and since CP Vtx are rare) unless going for maximum distance, since in hard banking you do nt approach a huge dbi loss, just 3.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Did you see the helical tutorial? It is very easy Vrx antenna. Also you can use the SP antenna as RX too! I built both but weather has been very bad so I have done very little comparisons with conventional antennas.

Either way the CP can communicate with a linear antenna, you just get 3dbi automatic loss, BUT it is constant and not dependant on Vtx orientation. This is the reason it was recommended in teh past by Schrerrer (and probably others) to use a CP antenna as Vrx and linear one the plane (for convenience and since CP Vtx are rare) unless going for maximum distance, since in hard banking you do nt approach a huge dbi loss, just 3.
No, I'll search for that though...thanks.

Found the thread. Thanks, I'll take a read through it.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:45 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
BTW, I did fly enough with the CP stuff to try it with CP on the plane and Linear patch on the ground, performance was ok, certainly not comprimised enough to be noticed by me, or perhaps much at all for < 1mile flying that I do.

The helical is in his blog. it is easy and cheap to construct, and looks wicked cool IMO.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:55 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
SWR 1.3 - Not bad

I just got my new directional wattmeter up and working. I found out there is a huge HAM supply house just down the street from me! I was using a 700mW BoB TX for the measurement on a 3S Lipo. I'll let the picture say the rest.

-Alex
Old Feb 08, 2011, 06:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
330 Posts
Mictronics is offline Find More Posts by Mictronics
Last edited by Mictronics; Jul 01, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Tired of RCG - Quality can be found at FVLAB
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:12 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
I found the exact same thing last night. I got best results with that angle at exactly 90 degrees. Admittedly, the best VSWR I can get appears to be 1.2. But I'm happy with that. I can't sweep the whole frequency except in steps and then I'd have to graph it manually.

Let me know how much the styrofoam shifts the frequency. I have been considering a few different protection methods. Does anyone know of a cheap plastic ball that could be sliced in half to cover the 4-1/4" radius of the 1.3GHz antenna?

-Alex
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
330 Posts
Last edited by Mictronics; Jul 01, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Tired of RCG - Quality can be found at FVLAB
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:41 AM
France
Joined May 2006
657 Posts
Hi Mictronic , what kind of tool do you use to analyse the antenna ?
vulpina is offline Find More Posts by vulpina
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
330 Posts