HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:59 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,321 Posts
Discussion
Which octo frame?

I have been searching and reading a lot for the past couple weeks but I still can't decide which frame for my next multirotor.

My goal is to do professional (budget) AP next summer, I would like to buy and install the Cinestar 3 axis gimbal (or maybe RCTimer cinestar clone or any other decent gimbal), the frame needs to be able to carry it.

Which one would you pick? and why?

Cinestar fake from Goodluckbuy:

SkyKnight Fixed X8-1100 from FPVModel:

Tarot Iron Man 1000:

Thanks for your inputs!!
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:24 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,931 Posts
Be aware of the regulations if you are planning to do professional work. The insurance alone will probably be more than the frame.

What camera are you looking to use? I'd start there and build around those needs.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:56 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,321 Posts
Well, I should have specified that professional ap is my ultimate goal, I won't skip steps, I will take my time and I will be legal.

Canon 5D is what I am aiming for. I think the question is more which of these frame are compatible with Cinestar 3-axis gimbal?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:12 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Sep 2012
462 Posts
i think the tarot is the best choice, since tarot have a lot of spare parts available. and maybe it's a cinestar clone
WonderKing is offline Find More Posts by WonderKing
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:17 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderKing View Post
i think the tarot is the best choice, since tarot have a lot of spare parts available. and maybe it's a cinestar clone
Yes I'd go with somethign that has better support and spare parts.

Honestly if I was planing to run that camera and gimbal I'd probably just go with a complete Cinestar system. When you have that much money in the air I'd sooner have something known and supported. Plus part of the insurance process is them wanting details of your airframe (manufacturer, type, etc) so having a name brand might make that process easier.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:24 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,321 Posts
Yes, but like I said this is a long term goal, I won't have a 5D next summer. These things cost so much it's crazy...! Maybe when I will be ready for the 5D I will change and buy a complete Cinestar kit. What I need is a entry / mid level system for ap.
Last edited by metalfred; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:42 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred View Post
Yes, but like I said this is a long term goal, I won't have a 5D next summer. These things cost so much it's crazy...! Maybe when I will be ready for the 5D I will change and buy a complete Cinestar kit. What I need is a entry / mid level system for ap.
What camera are you looking to use for short term then? If it is just a GoPro you could go with a simple F550 frame and add on landing legs and a simple gimbal.

Next step up with be something like an NEX 5n size camera. For that I'd go with a slighlty bigger more powerful setup for the added weight of camera and gimbal. This is what I'm building out for that type of setup:
http://flitelab.com/OnlineStore/Mult...SIXcopter.aspx

More pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1081737...drameSIXcopter
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:13 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,321 Posts
I already have a GoPro platform, it works quite well! I am ready for the next step.

Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:32 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,931 Posts
I'd probably just get a better gimbal for the frame you have then.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:45 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,321 Posts
The problem with this hex is it can't lift much, I need to get a platform that will be able to lift a 5D or a panasonic gh2.

I think the Tarot Iron Man 1000 win.. better order before chinese holidays!!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:51 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,931 Posts
Ah ok gotcha. Ya probably a 800-1000 sized frame would be best with that long term goal. I've been trying to stay a bit smaller and with hex for size, cost, and slightly less complex setup.
Site Sponsor