HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:33 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
160 Posts
Discussion
Foam-Tac...beyond foam to foam?

We know that FT was designed, and works incredibly well, for foam-to-foam adhesion. I am wondering what everyones experience has been with FT for other material adhesion. Maybe we can do a rating system of 1-10 for different material combinations

Foam to ply?
Foam to balsa?
Foam to Carbon fiber?
etc.etc.etc...

What have you had for results?
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:08 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
I used the old formulation of Foam-Tac to glue a plywood motor mount into a Coroplast fuselage. I don't know about the new formula (probably better) but the old version is one of the best glues that I have found for Coroplast. The only thing that I know of that grips better is medium CA on properly prepped coro.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:21 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam-Tac

Hi Stew,

Eric from Beacon Adhesives saw this and thought I would post my testing with the new formula. When I first started working for Beacon Adhesives I wanted to be sure I knew exactly what and how, the product I was selling would work and also be able to answer questions from an "experienced user" point of view, so I went into my workshop with the new formula and proceeded to glue everything to anything... It went something like this, I glued balsa to ply to EPP to EPS to sttyrofoam to blue, pink dollar tree with and without paper to coro-plast to aluminum to plastic to carbon fiber to fiberglass etc, etc... Basically I glued anything I had together and the Foam-Tac held. I will tell you that it pulled apart very easy from a glass bottle, but other than that it held and held well, and for non-porous surfaces a little sanding to roughen up makes for a strong bond.

Regards,
Eric G
Beacon Adhesives
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:39 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
I have the old formula and have used it for various foams and all worked well. I have used it on foam to wood, carbon fiber and to plastic mounts with good success. I even used it to glue on vinyl weather stripping to painted wood on my front door and it held very well. The only time FT didn't work well was on a peculiar build where I had three pieces of foam to join at odd angles. There was a pretty sizeable gap and I needed something that set super fast and hot glue worked better in that situation. So, no glue is best for 100% of the situations but I think for us modelers FT get pretty darn close. I also like it because I am allergic to CA fumes.

And something that needs repeating is how to apply FT. The instructions on the original FT card says to apply to both sides then let dry a few minutes. If you do that it joins immediately and you have to repositioning time. I ended up with some misaligned parts and for that reason I didn't like it at first. I saw the new instructions to put a thin layer on one side, join the parts briefly then pull them apart for a few seconds then rejoin. Once I started using the new instructions I really started liking Foam Tac.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:40 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,421 Posts
It makes a good canopy glue. I used it to bond the PETE juice bottle canopy to the OSE. looks to be a strong bond; PETE to MPF.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,181 Posts
Eric can you make flexible hinges out of foam-tac, like you can with welder's?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:46 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,505 Posts
Foamtac makes better hinges than Welders...it wont yellow nor will it harden or crack like welders after 6 months
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:49 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,181 Posts
Thank you sir, Eric pay the man his commission I'm getting some Foam Tac shipped to my house.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:27 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,307 Posts
I'm REALLY liking this glue, I just glued together a Wings Maker DF 032 Panther and it worked way better than ca, keep it up guys! Also i did some ply to foam and it worked realy well
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:17 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
160 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone

Being a new builder, I read alot of older and popular build guides that are several years old. And most of those were written with the use of gorilla glue as the numero uno glue of the times. It had me wondering what parts of construction I can use FT when the original builder had used GG or some other glue.

( I do know that it wont fill large gaps at all)

Cheers,
Stew
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
Last edited by Disco Stew; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: clarity :) So I don't sound like a fan boy...yet
Old May 29, 2013, 02:17 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Has anyone tried making a FT hinge for two laminate filmed surfaces? I guess the question is how well does it bond to laminate film?

-Jonathan

EDIT: Considering it for a laminate filmed EPP wing to laminate filmed balsa aileron.
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl