HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:51 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
WMartin,

PZV2 are the latest updated retracts from FMS and most now are using those rather than using the eflites. PZV2 were not avail. at the time so eflite 60-120 were used. So depending on you, you can choose to use either. PZV2 can be purchased from RC-Castle, not sure if BH is shipping em in their planes.

Plastic oleo struts do not indicate planes version but rather strut version. If the oleo strut has a plastic housing then it is the v1.5 strut, if it is all aluminum then it is the latest updated v2 strut. Some planes such as Aros "Redtail" was shipped with v2 struts, while others may not have been.

Black and red esc wire connects to any open channel or y-cable to a channel.

I know it may sound confusing but it's actually simple.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:37 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
258 Posts
ok so im thinking of buying this plane i just want to know what are the must upgrades and fixs on this plane before i buy it?
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,291 Posts
One "Must" is make sure what you order, and get, IS a V2 upgraded one!
This greatly reduces the things you will 'need' to do. To almost zero....
So far it seems only Aros's blue version was that one.
But check and confirm before buying.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
ok so im thinking of buying this plane i just want to know what are the must upgrades and fixs on this plane before i buy it?
v2 All aluminum Oleo struts and PZV2 retracts which are both avail. from Rc-castle. If your v2 plane doesn't already come with em

Other than the above 2 nothing more is really needs just optional

Optional upgrades:

60-120 eflite retracts

BM Edition Ace of Iron (Once you see it you'll want it)

Esc Bec (if doing prop mod although stock should be fine)

Separate ext. Bec
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:35 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
There is no need to adjust the thrust line. Mine has almost no deflection and tracks perfectly. Just make sure everything is tight and it'll be fine.

Why do people have to fiddle with stuff when they openly admit they have no idea about it. Not meant as an offence, just thought it needed saying.
dambit,

No offense taken and believe me I want to fiddle with things as little as possible (well, OK, I did get one of Brandon's Aces Of Iron pilots and am doing a very little amount of painting like the exhaust). However, the nose / cowl sure appears to be cut for the spinner backplate to fit with the traditional down and right thrust and if it that was not the intent then the nose / spinner alignment is wayyyyy off! And the wing fit is wayyyy off also so I will likely need to do some sanding of the wing roots. I had none of these issues with my 1400mm P-51. I think the basic design is good but quality control is not satisfactory yet. I appreciate all the information and any and all suggestions. Maybe I will fly it before adding right thrust and if it tracks ok then I can treat it as cosmetic. The wings are another story. Anyone with any good info on this?

Thanks,

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:07 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Brandon Moon custom modified "Aces of Iron" Pilot figure 1/7th scale

Here are pictures of Mr. Aaron Wallace's modified Aces of Iron Pilot figure I did for him and he sent me today.

Thanks Aaron for sending me those He definately looks ready for some serious flight duty
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:59 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,596 Posts
Aaron, maybe upload a picture or two so that we have a reference to compare to. Then we will know if it's ok or bad QC.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:43 AM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
WMartin,

PZV2 are the latest updated retracts from FMS and most now are using those rather than using the eflites. PZV2 were not avail. at the time so eflite 60-120 were used. So depending on you, you can choose to use either. PZV2 can be purchased from RC-Castle, not sure if BH is shipping em in their planes.

Plastic oleo struts do not indicate planes version but rather strut version. If the oleo strut has a plastic housing then it is the v1.5 strut, if it is all aluminum then it is the latest updated v2 strut. Some planes such as Aros "Redtail" was shipped with v2 struts, while others may not have been.

Thanks V8, that is very helpful.

Does anyone have any idea why my flaps would work in the downward direction but wont go back up? I'm using a DX8 but cant see any settings that would affect this performance.
bill
wmartin817 is offline Find More Posts by wmartin817
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:23 AM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Can anyone tell me if this is the new alum oleo struts that I need to order..it doesnt specify.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
WMartin,

But what is does it do once connected to the Rx? All usual channels are taken so this would plug into an Aux.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmartin817 View Post
Can anyone tell me if this is the new alum oleo struts that I need to order..it doesnt specify.
yes those are them and just to make certain, in the comments section when placing order specific that you want the latest version struts.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
But what is does it do once connected to the Rx? All usual channels are taken so this would plug into an Aux.
just plug it into the aux or y-cable it to an existing channel.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Thanks V8, that is very helpful.

Does anyone have any idea why my flaps would work in the downward direction but wont go back up? I'm using a DX8 but cant see any settings that would affect this performance.
bill
I don't have a DX8, but do have a spektrum Dx6i. if you go into the flaps menu (flaps should have its own menu) adjust the travel for the up position to 100% or opposite. I'm thinking its not getting full travel input from the flaps sub trim menu.

Menu should be similar to this, but don't mess with the elevator portion just the flaps.

Here's what my radio menu looks like

http://ironcreek.net/dx6i/dx6i_rf4_plane_flaps.jpg

Dx8

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1327365374
Last edited by v8truckin; Sep 07, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:06 AM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
just plug it into the aux or y-cable it to an existing channel.
Thanks V8, I'm just not sure what it does for me...ie what controls on the plane will it affect. Seems like everything is already spoken for.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
It won't affect anything.