HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2002, 11:10 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
Another EDF50 Mig 15

I'm not sure if anyone remembers the orignial posts of my version of an EDF50 Mig 15 or not, but anyway... I finally had a chance to fly it today, and all I can say is, WOW! I'm only running 6 NiMH and it hauls ass. It gains altitude from just a very weak hand launch. I honestly could not be more satisflied. Its definitely quite a bit faster than my GWS fuselage version litestick, and would smoke a Tiger Moth. It even glides good! Its nice to see all the work pay off. I originally took it out to fly this evening with the idea that it would probably be under powered and that it could be flown in a small grass lot next to my house. Welp, I took it out to said small lot just to do some powered test glides and boy was I wrong. It instantly picked up speed, never dropped an inch of altitude, I soon found out that my small flying field was inadequate, IT WAS TOO FAST(bet you can't tell I'm excited). I plan to get some video of it tomorrow so you don't have to take my word for it. Anyone that hasn't already seen it or is interested in the design and some pics of it, feel free to visit my website. Also, can anyone provide me some space to store a video of my Mig? My tripod account is full I think...

My website

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2002, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
Some pics

Well, I flew it again this morning, and it flew great even though there was a little breeze outside (the wind always blows in Kansas). I got some pretty good video and some really good images with my digital camera. I'm still amazed at the flight performance on 6 cells...I watched the video of the fantastic models again last night, and I'm sure my design is quite a bit faster. Here are some pics from this morning.
Old May 26, 2002, 09:45 AM
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
another pic

a detail shot...
Old May 26, 2002, 09:52 AM
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
yet another pic

Me and the Mig, gives you an idea of the size of the bird...
Old May 26, 2002, 09:52 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
That's really cool!!!

Are you going to put proper plans on your page? I think lots of people will be interested.
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old May 26, 2002, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
a kit...?

mcba,

I'm glad you like it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the plans yet. I don't think it would be much fun to build from plans as far as cutting out the fuselage formers.

To all:
I had all the formers and ribs laser cut from my CAD plans because I knew it would be difficult to cut everything out. I'm not really sure what to do. What do you guys think, is there a market for this type of plane? Do you think people would actually consider building a balsa frame/covered aircraft after most of us have been spoiled with the "shake and bake" foam kits that are available today. I know this for certain, I could definitely produce a kit that is quite a bit cheaper than some of the micro foam jets that are available for purchase. Also, maybe a partially built up plane could be produced, I'm not sure what to think. If I get enough interest I might consider trying to develop plans for a kit. Obviously, this plane is a prototype, and after the initial design/building I've determined that I could improve on its ease of construction, strength, and weight.

-Mike
Old May 26, 2002, 11:51 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
166 Posts
count me in!

I would be very interested in plans...or a kit--whatever you decide to do. The plane looks awsome, and I'm glad it flys well! Keep up the awsome work!
tim_j-rome is offline Find More Posts by tim_j-rome
Old May 26, 2002, 12:19 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Great job, looks really good.

You can post videos to silent flight online, go to the image base and you can upload videos.

The link:
http://www.silentflightonline.com/
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old May 26, 2002, 02:05 PM
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
Thats what I'll do jah, thanks....How big of a video am I allowed to post there?
Old May 26, 2002, 03:05 PM
Bluecor Enthusiast
Dyersburg, TN
Joined May 2002
69 Posts
Looks good. I think i might try and build one... I will be sure to post the plans for all.
pillboy is offline Find More Posts by pillboy
Old May 26, 2002, 03:40 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
I like to build, so I would be intrested. Have you considered using one of the new micro fans? the Wemotec and Vasa come to mind, they use 280/300/010 motors and generate a lot more thrust than the GWS unit.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old May 26, 2002, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
pillboy,

I'm glad you liked it, I'll probably have some video up tomorrow, so stay tuned. It's good to hear that you would consider building one.

Dave,

It's nice to hear people still say they like to build. The ARFs have made it difficult for some people to even consider gluing some sticks together. I haven't looked into any other fans for the Mig. It's current design is so lightly constructed that I'm not sure if it would handle the extra thrust (just for kicks, what do the other EDF combos you mention put out also what do they weigh?). Like I said before, I think you'll be surprised by the performance the little EDF50 provides the Mig(I'll try my best to get some video up tomorrow). I know what you're thinking though, some of the initial flight reports of the performance of planes/jets using a single EDF50 have been marginal at best. I was worried too until it left my hands. It seriously goes right along on 6 cells, I'm still kinda confused by the performance. I'm sure the AUW, placement of the fan, and airfoil on my plane is helping the performance.

Thanks to both of you guys for you interest. (If I keep getting this type of response I'll most likely try to get some kits together)

-Mike
Old May 26, 2002, 05:45 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
166 Posts
parkflyers forum

Just a thought, the guys over in the parkflyers forum would probably have a great interest in a plane like this. So, you should post some pics over there along with a flight report. Just my 2 cents. Looks awsome, keep up the good work.
tim_j-rome is offline Find More Posts by tim_j-rome
Old May 26, 2002, 06:29 PM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
The EDF50 are really powerful considering the small size.

Yeah, I'm intersted too. I've two of them am still thinking about what to build.

A Mig-15 would be nice

Can I have some plans? Pleeeeez !!
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne
Old May 26, 2002, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
RookieOne,

Like I said before, if folks continue there interest I'll develop the Mig further and get some kit made up...I hope that's OK. I'm glad you like it.

Tim,

I posted something over in the parkflyer forum earlier today and there didn't seem to be too much interest as of yet. Thanks again

-Mike