HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:58 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Looking to pick up my first PA airplane and deciding between this and the XR52. I'm leaning towards the ADXL to practice 3D. I've yet to fly anthing that feels like a 3d profile foamy and I have so much fun with it that I'm leaning towards the ADXL. I have 50cc 3d pilot airplanes- to EF 48" Edge 540T and think this would make a nice addition. Ready to pull the trigger on Black Friday so hopefully they will have some discount!
mnavarro is offline Find More Posts by mnavarro
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
Is anyone running a 4 cell 15" prop set up on their Addiction XL?
Yes, a 4S build is detailed in-depth here:
http://z8rc.com/precision-aerobatics...flight-review/

This config uses a $12 Hobbyking Donkey 4010, 4S 2650mAh 40C, 70 Amp ESC, and an APC 15x4E.

Addiction XL vs X (11 min 38 sec)
BimboEruption is offline Find More Posts by BimboEruption
Old Nov 23, 2014, 07:20 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Apr 2011
620 Posts
Best first wood 3d plane is the ADX in my book, if you have the space, batteries and a little extra budget then the XL. You will always want one, they are superb
kohersh is offline Find More Posts by kohersh
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2014, 08:15 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfmaero View Post
Hi,
For those of you who have flown both the ADX and the ADXL, which would you suggest I get as my first "real" plane? Up till now I've been flying foamies. And quite badly, too, unfortunately... ActuallyI fly brilliantly, but my thumbs don't...

Also, I drive a very small car, so I would have to remove the wings for transport in any case, so transport wise, the different sizes don't matter that much. So I guess it comes down to personal preference, and I understand that I'm asking for a subjective response. Bottom line, would saving $200 or so on the ADX over the ADXL be worth it, or should I just go for the ADXL?

My residual "fear" is that the ADXL is such a BIG plane...

Duncan
I don't have an ADXL however to compare car sizes my ADX just fits in the back seat of a skoda fabia (to be honest it lives there - as at the moment is my thrash around plane)
All PA Addiction range do float a lot and are meant to fly at much slower speeds compared to other similar sized 3D balsa planes and as such they are made extremely lightweight.
Cost wise an ADX is bang in the middle of the range and with one you can practice hovers, torque rolls , rolling harriers etc basically at reduced speeds compared to other planes. However because its lightweight it cant tolerate extreme abuse so it wont do violent stuff (i.e. nose dive full at throttle, full aileron and then flat spin. In addition I also struggle to do a knife edge spin with my ADX, the way its being built/designed. You can make them but you need to find the sweet spot, or use a tiny bit of flaperons mix..)
As all PA planes they are built to fly, not crash so It does not like contact with the ground, hence I'm on my ADX#2

Basically the addictions is a 3D trainer or a lazy flying fun plane, so if you are after a fully capable 3D plane that will easily do knife edge spins look elsewhere.
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Nov 24, 2014, 08:22 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman View Post
Don't forget the length of the fuselage inside that car, too. The ADX might fit better. I've got both and I don't think the ADX would be a bad choice.

One warning, if you have big hands, it's easier getting wing bolts off and on with the ADXL than the ADX
BTW for anyone struggling with the PA ADX wing screws and hasn't made a quick release mod (if you want to call it that way) I found these M4x15 Anodised Alloy Thumb Screws to be the best alternative to the PA wing screws.
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:10 PM
PA Team Pilot
Joined Apr 2011
620 Posts
Secraft makes a nice m4 bolt and knurled knob set, I got some from esprit. Also mcmaster carr has a knurled knob with a raised shoulder in 425 and I just Dremel them shorter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Western North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
144 Posts
Servo Arms

With the sale I will purchase the ADXL. The write up indicates it comes with the servo arms but I can't determine if these are the extended one. Should I also order the extended ones AC-2135 ?

Thanks for any help and Happy Turkey Day to everyone!
George
Staggerwing1 is offline Find More Posts by Staggerwing1
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
PA Team Pilot
Joined Apr 2011
620 Posts
You will only get the CF servo arms with a plane, if you buy it as a part of the iPA's package.
If you buy airframe only, make sure to add those into your cart separate.
Gobble Gobble!
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
Western North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
144 Posts
I will be getting the iPA package plus props and batteries. By the way thanks for the build videos. I shall watch them repeatedly every step of the build.
Thanks,
George
Staggerwing1 is offline Find More Posts by Staggerwing1
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,577 Posts
Precision Aerobatics Black Friday Sale is now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...e_id=41&set=US
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohersh View Post
You will only get the CF servo arms with a plane, if you buy it as a part of the iPA's package.
If you buy airframe only, make sure to add those into your cart separate.
Gobble Gobble!
The carbon fiber control horns do come in the airframe kit, along with the CF rudder servo arm extension, but the CF vortex generators have to be bought separate.
BimboEruption is offline Find More Posts by BimboEruption