HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2014, 02:01 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Ernst,
I am just about finished up on the fittings. I need to make the bow and stern flag poles and bases, the steering wheel and shift control arm, finish the dash gauge panel and a smaller panel for the aft cockpit, finish up the cockpit trim and trim for the cooler hatch (small flush deck opening between the first and second cockpits), fabricate the exhaust trim panels and trim panels for the cooling water discharge, fabricate the deck step pads, and three hatch handles. As I think it through, the list keeps getting longer. Two major items are still on the table: the metal engine hatch cover and the front and rear windshields. I was not happy with the first windshield. I learned a few things and got some more photos and I'll be giving it another try. I need to make the seats for the aft cockpit. I am also going to make a model of the engine that will mount over the motor for display purposes. There will be lots of time spent drilling, fitting, polishing, and plating the trim and fittings. Then, of course, comes decals, bottom paint, final finish and polishing, and assembly. It makes me tired just listing this stuff. The good news is that I enjoy it and have no deadlines except those I set for myself. No guesses from me today on timing. I have learned that I always grossly underestimate how long it will take.
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2014, 09:34 AM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
There has been some discussion about Lockpat's framing in this thread. There was a nice vintage photo published in the Classic Boating article showing Lockpat's build progressing at HackerCraft.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:54 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,715 Posts
Nice... and the frames are notched for each stringer...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:40 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Main frames were definitely notched for the stringers (battens). Every other frame is bent into position and I'm sure they were not notched. From the CB article, construction was as follows: Keel, stem, knee, chines and frames of Michigan White Oak and Ash; battens were spruce; engine stringers were built up spruce with hackmatack knees and metal for sway; side planking was 3/16 inner diagonal mahogany, canvas on composition, and outer 3/8 mahogany fore and aft; bottom planking was inner 1/4 mahogany at 45 degree diagonal, canvas on composition, and outer 1/2 mahogany at 15 degrees; planking screw fastened to main frames and copper riveted to bent frames; bottom seams lightly caulked and filled with marine glue,; butts made on quartered oak butt blocks; fastenings flush above the water line and plugged below.
Old Today, 11:14 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Thank you very much, GPR.

Fantastic photo!

What beautiful insights into these old and glory days.

Ernst
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Today, 11:51 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,123 Posts
Wish there were a lot more pictures like that around ...........
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.