HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:53 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
We have the BIG hunter, it will hold a flatbed car hauler... but the part in front of the lift is all the same... A little overboard on the toe in when you put it together...
The BIG one eh? I think we got it pretty close considering I push buttons for a living.. The car handles like a dream,, can't wait to get my hands on the rear wheel centering kit and sway bars.
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:24 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
"In Spec" means nothing!!! As I stated earlier, specs can be plus/minus 2 degrees, toe in/out 1/2 inch. In spec just means front end is in the range recommended by manufacture, it does not mean the front end is aligned properly. What were your final readings? They should give you print out of before/ after. Joe
When my guys adjust hydraulic pump pressures and put in the notes "adjust to spec" I ask them to show me were it just says "Spec".....I want real numbers!
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:37 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
What were your final readings? They should give you print out of before/ after. Joe
I posted pics in #64
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:03 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
I am sorry, should have quoted...question was for ambientech .
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by series57r View Post
Hey Usta, is there a text to go with the picture?
Ask and you shall receive !

The first flying homebuilt plane in Maine.

Work on the Northrop XP-79 and Boeing's B-29.

The Cornell Aeronautical Labratory.

A Bugatti grand prix car with a Buick Dynaflow.

Pikes Peak hillclimb in a 4WD Miller Indy car.

The beginnings of Watkins Glen racing.

Contracts from GM for vehicle dynamics.

Working with active suspension and how the Corvette 4-cam Lotus engine came about.

It's all here .........

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/lud...-biography.htm

Here's pics to go with the story, and info about his book....

http://www.velocetoday.com/bill-milliken/

2007 Goodwood FoS Milliken MX1 Camb Car ICEFARMER (0 min 9 sec)
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Last edited by Usta Bee; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:34 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
I am sorry, should have quoted...question was for ambientech .
They didn't give me any numbers just said it was in spec.
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:44 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Next time, ask them if they can supply you with those specs, if not, go somewere else. I seen and had to fix other alignment shops alignments.. sometimes they just do not know what to do or can not think outside the box...Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:49 PM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
UstaBee
Thanks for the interesting links
Still think the car would be fantastic for the Gymkhana events.
.This was funny!
1960: For years Milliken and his sons worked on this very advanced ‘MX-1 Camber’ car. Realizing the high cornering forces that motorcycles could generate.
http://www.velocetoday.com/bill-milliken/

Apparently he was more of a Stunt man. Colin fired him inthe 11 for some reason. This 11 may be the one I wound up with
if it had the LeMans body work and painted real Dark Green.

In days of old the theory was that a friction coefficient of 1 would never be exceeded. Basically this is for every pound of weight on the tire it would hold a pound of lateral force.

Wide tires on race cars.
With the small contact patch of a motorcycle, a total of 8 or so square inches?
Cars have that much in one of the smaller front tires of say 6 inch width and around 15 sq inches of contact patch.

S0 we give the motor cycle a weight break and call it 300lbs(including driver) at 8 sq inch = 37lbs per square inch.

Lets go with the older Formula Mazda 1400lbs with driver and a total of around 16sq inch for each front and 32 per rear for a total of82 = 17lbs per square inch of contact patch.
That comes to the car having over 2 times the traction ability of the motor cycle.
This is not including the increase in patch size on the car tires due to loading, this does not happen on a motorcycle.

We now can exceed the coefficient of friction 1 by a large amount through;
1-Chemical adhesion where the hot tire actually becomes sticky. this is majorly improved once the tack is coated with rubber.
Although it starts to feel greasy when the sun heat the road rubber, say June-July in West Texas. Still fast lap times may drop by 1/10 second.

2 When the driver is using all of the tire a 'Grain' will develop. this grain acts as tiny suction cups.
If the driver is not developing this gran for 80-90% of the tire width and the car setup is close another driver is needed.

3-Camber thrust where the tires foot print enlarges under load.

4-Aerodynamic down force. If I remember correctly the Toyota GT1 generated over 3500lbs of down force on the Mulsane straight.

A three G corner would have to develop traction 3 times the coefficient of friction.

If you are realy interested in this stuff read these Text Books.
1st-racing and sports car chassis Design and development by Michal Costin(The Cos of CosWorth) and David Phipps.
Copy right 1961 Congress card number 68-4344
Old but important foundation.

2nd-Racing Car Design and Development by Len Terry and Alan Baker. Simpler, informative read and more basic.
Copy right 1973 Congress card 73-85159.

3rd Advanced Race Car Suspension Development By Steve Smith. Easy read with lots of drawings and probably the quickest way to learn GC height
and suspension geometry interaction involving the instant center location VS roll center. A circular thing that gets smaller as you work it out

No Card number. Can be obtained through Steve Smith Autosports publications.
Obtain the work book that goes with the text.

4- Carrol Smith, known as the father of modern race car design has published many good books on the subject.
From fixing design problems of Lola Indy car tubs to anything involved in making a race car faster and bullet proof.

http://www.carrollsmith.com/
http://www.carrollsmith.com/books/

>>>{"Your race car should be easier and more pleasant to drive than your street car. If it isn't, someone is doing something wrong."
-Carroll Smith
(1932-2003)}<<<

Seems to be one book missing that would be of most use for recent tire and so forth developments.
Will try to look in my stack. Might be Engineer to Win.

There are many more books on the subject. The above list some of the best.

3 days and nights of building first airplane in forever addiction.
Bed time for me!
series57r is offline Find More Posts by series57r
Last edited by series57r; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: >>><<<
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:00 AM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
Next time, ask them if they can supply you with those specs, if not, go somewere else. I seen and had to fix other alignment shops alignments.. sometimes they just do not know what to do or can not think outside the box...Joe
Machines out of level, bent and damaged parts, car not on turn tables properly.
Bent rims. Always check rim runout first. mark 2 equal locations on rim 180deg
apart to measure from. If run out is small go for it anywhere on the rim.

The Rim, always measure the rim as tires distort and bulge.

For using factory specks 1/2 way in between the 2 limit numbers is the correct factory number and is not always a good number to use.
series57r is offline Find More Posts by series57r