HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:12 PM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Discussion
Indoor combat plane design needed, 5 - 6 ounces RTF, 2S 460 mah battery Max.

I'm looking for indoor combat planes (with streamers, not full contact) that meet these rules.

LESS than 6 ounces RTF
460 mah 2S battery or smaller
24" wing span MAX
3 minutes missions.

The weight limit means small motors like a 2404 or park 250 size. There isn't a size limit on motors but the 2S and small battery limit those anyway as amp draw becomes a problem with a 3 minute flight. They DO NOT want real fast planes for safety reasons. Just planes that fly well and handle well.

I've looked through many threads here but everything I found is bigger or heavier. They look like outdoor combat designs. This plane will be for indoor combat.

What designs can you recommend?
Danford1
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,992 Posts
check this out, it might do what you want, use EPP if you're flying full contact combat.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:11 AM
Innovator
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Yes. I've seen them. I want something different. With 4 of the same plane flying around it is hard to tell yours from theirs.
What else is available?
Danford1
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:13 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danford1 View Post
With 4 of the same plane flying around it is hard to tell yours from theirs.
Paint it pink? Very unlikely anyone else will .
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,067 Posts
Take a look at Leadfeather's Firefly - it's in the foamy thread
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:41 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,069 Posts
We're using some of these for indoor combat 16 in. sq and weigh 5.5 oz. using a 4 to 6oo ma 2 cell batt. Not hard to differentiate as you paint on your prefered warbird. These are made from $ Store foam so thay're more or less disposable. I'm runnind the 16 gram HXT motors, 10 amp ESC and 500 gram servos. Getting a little beat up Just more food for thought.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Oct 31, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:01 AM
Innovator
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
I like those $tree planes. Can you provide a link to the plans?
Danford1

PS The firefly has a mid mounted prop. We need props to cut streamers. I would think a front mounted prop would be better for cutting streamers. (my opinion, others will vary)
Last edited by danford1; Oct 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,069 Posts
I'm afraid this is all I have. Just a drawing. Not good at computer drafting The upper and lower pieces are are left to your own disgression as to what plane you want to use.Sort of eyeball engineered. There are doublers on the sides of the fuse at the front to brace the 1/16 aircraft firewall. The landing gear wire is tied to the plywood motor mount with dental floss and CAed. I make my own horns from 1/32 plywood, as you can make them long to extend towards the rear of the surface to help keep it from bending. They're put together with hotglue other than the front doubler where I use UHU POR. I use it as a contact cement. Smear both halves to be glued together and let it sit for about 20 mins., then line them up good as once they make contact, you won't get it apart. Paint is DecoArt that you can get at the $ store. It'sthinned with water and spread on with a piece of sponge. Not exactly a work of art, but at 20 FT they look OK. Hope this helps.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Jun 2008
186 Posts
danford1,

We have been flying indoor combat for the past 5 or 6 years now at a monthly indoor electric event just outside of Denver.

We have tried everything, and have two national competitors amongst us: Tom and Brian Neff. Brian brought home a 1st and a 2nd and Tom brought home a 2nd and a 3rd from this year's outdoor combat Nats.

We have tried 6mm depron foamies, 3mm depron foamies, and everything in between. We fly at an indoor full size soccer field - just big enough. We have flown in a gym but it is much too small for any type of combat other than the super slow flyers.

What we use and love: EPP FIV 50 polyhedral free flight gliders converted to 3 channel powered planes. I think you can still get them at lazertoyz.

They fly awesome and the speed is perfect for indoors. If I let you fly one of ours, you would never know it didn't have ailerons!

We tie streamers on some of the time, but we have migrated to full contact combat. Indoor combat eats up a lot of space quickly and is harder than one might think.

We use cheap motors, 500 mAh 2-cell lipos, cheap servos, and 6x3 props. We keep a hot glue gun on during our events to make the quick repairs.

Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:33 AM
Innovator
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbozarth View Post
danford1,

We have been flying indoor combat for the past 5 or 6 years now at a monthly indoor electric event just outside of Denver.

We have tried everything, and have two national competitors amongst us: Tom and Brian Neff. Brian brought home a 1st and a 2nd and Tom brought home a 2nd and a 3rd from this year's outdoor combat Nats.

We have tried 6mm depron foamies, 3mm depron foamies, and everything in between. We fly at an indoor full size soccer field - just big enough. We have flown in a gym but it is much too small for any type of combat other than the super slow flyers.

What we use and love: EPP FIV 50 polyhedral free flight gliders converted to 3 channel powered planes. I think you can still get them at lazertoyz.

They fly awesome and the speed is perfect for indoors. If I let you fly one of ours, you would never know it didn't have ailerons!

We tie streamers on some of the time, but we have migrated to full contact combat. Indoor combat eats up a lot of space quickly and is harder than one might think.

We use cheap motors, 500 mAh 2-cell lipos, cheap servos, and 6x3 props. We keep a hot glue gun on during our events to make the quick repairs.

Kurt
Kurt,
Is this the one?
http://www.lazertoyz.com/Fenix-45-Glider_p_147.html
Danford1
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Jun 2008
186 Posts
We use the 32" wingspan version and they used to call it the FIV80 (80cm version). I have tried the smaller ones and they are too small, too fast, and too heavy for their size. I started with the FIV100 and that was too large and sluggish - I only fly the 100 outside. I sound like Goldilocks.

I see now that I said we use the FIV50 in my earlier post - I meant the FIV80. Sorry.

Kurt
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:49 PM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Bromley, England
Joined Nov 2006
386 Posts
Quote:
danford1,
We fly at an indoor full size soccer field - just big enough. We have flown in a gym but it is much too small for any type of combat other than the super slow flyers.
Yes, not surprised with those planes (originally "Fik") you need the space, I have some of those, but here in the UK locations that size hall space is just not available, and we didn't want slow speed either.

Three years ago I started a contact combat one design series using Leadfeather's excellent well balanced FireFly. These use the Suppo alias SP 2204 motor, 12A ESC and a 500mAh 3S. A 8x4.3 slowfly cut down to 7.5x4.3 is perfect.

After fortnightly winter sessions through the last three years, my original model is STILL going, albeit with a second motor as the first one wore out and a couple of damaged servos.

For UK sized halls a powerful rudder is ESSENTIAL, bank n yank is not the way.

Near 90 degree rudder and 75 degree elevons, and it'll do anything you want.

You need not be limited to super slow models, have proven it!!
Bravedan is offline Find More Posts by Bravedan
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:20 PM
Innovator
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Quote:
We use the 32" wingspan version and they used to call it the FIV80 (80cm version). I have tried the smaller ones and they are too small, too fast, and too heavy for their size. I started with the FIV100 and that was too large and sluggish - I only fly the 100 outside. I sound like Goldilocks.

I see now that I said we use the FIV50 in my earlier post - I meant the FIV80. Sorry.

Kurt
I didn't find a FIV80 but I did find this.
Is it the same thing ?
http://www.lazertoyz.com/Fenix-80-GliderRC_p_149.html

Danford1
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2008
186 Posts
Yes - FIV80, FIK80, and now they call them Fenix80.

Kurt
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:58 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,699 Posts
Here are a few more choices http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1771408

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project