HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2003, 08:34 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
There's a dinosaur in my kitchen!!!

I wanted a pet pteradactyl since I was 6. After running across AMTJIM's thread "meet pterry", I decided it was time I had one!

From what I read, he didn't finish it, bummer, I'd have liked to see how it turned out. I only had one walmart foam plane to smash and here's what I came up with so-far... It balances well as just an airframe which will be nice when adding gear. It glides pretty well as is too, but is too light. I will likely strap the motor on top of the "feet" at the rear. Pusher DD 280 w/ 5 x 3 prop. If the weight stays really low, I may go with a 180 long can(works well on micro wings).

Airframe weight: 4.5 ounces
WS: 53"
AUW: 7-9 ounces
Elevons(wingerons) and throttle
GWS pico gear

I'm not sure how I'll finish it, again, depends on the weight I want to end up with. Winter is mild but windy here, so I may go heavy. The "head" is not finished. It's just the profile taped on for perspective. Anyone play with this idea before? Any success?

Any input welcome,

Bill in the Delta
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:11 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Ya' know... I read somewhere that scientist believe that the shape of the head was used much like a rudder.... you might thin it down some and remove that little bob at the rear....

CTF
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:21 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
I thought about having a profile head, but I wasn't sure how it would act with the rudder in front... I also like the idea of the built up head matching the rest of the body. Good thing is, it's foam, lol... If I don't like it when finished, I can lop of it's head and replace it easily!

Bill
Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:56 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
love your thread name.......

not a dinosaur but my gull flew well................like yours better.....
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:14 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
I've seen your gull, I dig it too, I especially like that you did it in black. Mine's still in the way ugly stage with 3 different foams and glue and what not making it easy to pick out all the imperfections. I plan on working on it quite a bit tomorrow and getting better pics up.

Did you use a formula to determine your wing dihedral and antihedral? I played around with mine a bit, and came up with a few degrees antihedral from the body, then about 3 times that in dihedral at the joint. Test glides are promising. The little rudder on the back was to "make it look right" and wasn't installed to counter any misbehavior or the wings.

Thanks for the support and pic, Incidentally, I moved here from N. Little Rock...

Bill
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:49 PM
Foam Addict
Boston 'ish MA
Joined Aug 2003
714 Posts
Nice looking plane...er dinosaur you got there I cant wait till i see this finished and flying! Keep up the good work!
Starfox9 is offline Find More Posts by Starfox9
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:00 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,864 Posts
Speaking of flying dino's, I've talked with the designer of this a time or two....and I intend someday to build one:

http://www.kitesplus.com/oldsite/bir...20dinosaur.jpg

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:35 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
WOW

That is one good looking plane! Thanks for the link!
Old Nov 24, 2003, 07:13 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Well, after touching up with some "foamie bondo" AKA lightweight spackle, and painting a little bit, here's what it looks like. I still haven't painted the beak as I intend to do more test flights w/o power or radio, to determine CG, and I know I'll end up nosing in on it if it's painted, lol. I was thinking of making the beak detachable to hold radio components, but at the last minute decided against it for 2 reasons:

1. It makes the radio equip vulnerable having it in a fragile nose
2. I'd have to run a long extension to the motor

Since I painted it in anticipation of a removeable beak, I have to really think about where I want to cut out for the radio and servos. The battery will mount under the body with a skid below it. I'm still debating on the radio in beak idea as it sure would be convenient. Ideas anyone?

I'm happy with how it's turning out. It will end up with more detailed paint if I like it's flight characteristics enough to dedicate a rx and servos to it... (too many planes, not enough gear, lol) I will also probably add claws in the wing joints and maybe some trailing feet. I may be pushing my upper weight limit, and was hoping for somewhere around 6 oz/ sqft wing loading.

Bill

EDIT: Does anyone know if it would be worth it to put a layer of polycrylic over it for a protective finish over the paint? Too much weight gain? Could I mix a tiny bit of the base green I used with the polycrylic so the colors blend better? They are both water based acrylics....
Last edited by ndflicks; Nov 24, 2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:39 PM
Foam Addict
Boston 'ish MA
Joined Aug 2003
714 Posts
I think that looks great. I would cut out the chest of it and put the equip in there..or somewhere along the back. You are planning on using elevons right.
Starfox9 is offline Find More Posts by Starfox9
Last edited by Starfox9; Nov 25, 2003 at 03:08 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:19 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Starfox,

Yup, I'm going to use elevons(or on this would they be ailevons? Wingerons?) lol... I'm going to use a mixer so I get elevator and ailerons out of it. I haven't mounted them yet, I don't know if they should run the length of the wing or not. I'll post a pic and see if any opinions pop up.

As far as the chest goes, it's supposed to be the primary point of impact when landing, or "plopping" so I want it as strong as possible, lol... I know, I know, I have an answer for everything. I want this "plane" to be pretty sturdy, since I want it for the windy days that I can't fly the parkflyers, and I just can't rationalize cutting holes in it, lmao. I am thinking of putting the gear back in the beak now... GRRRR I can't decide!

Bill
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:36 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Aileron/Elevon placement...

I'm not sure where to put the elevons. I doubt I'd ever want to roll or any "serious" maneuvering. Would keeping them inside, close to the body result in tame yet adequate handling? Or do I would they have to be outward to be responsive enough to turn??

Any opinions?

Bill
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:46 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,828 Posts
I would pick the outer half of the outer wing panel. This puts them as far to the rear as they can get (better elevator response), and most effective aileron response as well. You may have yaw stability issues with so much vertical area ahead of the CG. If the real pteradactyls used their heads for a rudder (which is very likely), it's a sure bet that they couldn't move their heads around just to get a good look at something interesting or they'd swing violently in that direction. Years ago, there was a gas model pteradactyl. It needed a big clear plexi rudder to get stable.

Best,
Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:59 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Thanks quacker.... When glide testing, it's really smooth and aside from when the wind catches a wingtip, it's very stable. I'm no aeronautical engineer, so I'm not sure of the effect of adding wing area to the trailing edge via elevons. I've heard the "head as a rudder" idea before, but wasn't inclined to try it. It shouldn't be too hard to do, but I want to see how it flies this way first. Wouldn't it be funny to be a pteradactyl(or pteradon) and cruise up behind one of your buddies and shout at him last minute to get him to crank his big 'ol noggen around, lol...

Thanks for your input, your perspective makes a lot of sense.

Bill
Last edited by ndflicks; Nov 25, 2003 at 03:30 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 07:42 AM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
808 Posts
having so much area in front of the center of gravity is going to make this thing very interesting to fly in even the slightest breeze. it will keep blowing down wind. I think it is a very neat idea and you are a great sculpter. I hope you can get all the bugs worked out because it will probably scare the feathers off all the birds in your flying field!
REVKEV6 is offline Find More Posts by REVKEV6