HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by thomanie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:37 PM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
Mini-Review
FrSky TFR6 - a 7ch FASST compatible first look

FrSky TFR6
I just got myself a couple of the brand new FrSky TFR6 receivers for my Futaba 10C.

FASST compatible?
The TFR6 is a 7ch FASST compatible receiver. It's not a genuine FASST receiver, but works nicely with Futaba FASST air systems transmitters. For my testing I've used my trusted 10C.

Size, weight and pricing
The TFR6 is about half the size of the earlier TFR8, and weighs 8g / 0.3oz. The smaller physical size makes this receiver ideal even for smaller models, with the added benefit of being full-range.
This newest addition to the FrSky TF lineup retails for around 35 USD - but as expected can be had for less too if you shop around. At a fraction of price of the brand name equivalent R617FS, these will surely move off the shelves in numbers.

Binding
Binding is as easy as holding down the bind/failsafe button as you power up the receiver. LED flashes and turns a solid green when binding is complete.

Failsafe (F/S)
The builtin failsafe in the receiver works nicely. Set the controls as you want them, press the bind-button briefly - and the F/S position is set. This can easily be tested by turning off the transmitter, and watching all servos move to their preset F/S position. This used to not work on the earlier TFR8, but a firmware upgrade has solved that. Older TFR8 units can even be reflashed with the fixed firmware. There's also an option to use the native F/S, but I haven't tried this yet.

Flight testing
Replaced the TFR8 in my HK450v2 with the TFR6 and gave it a spin in the backyard. Nothing special to report. It works. Works as well as the guy behind the sticks in the slightly gusty conditions today, at least.

Pros and cons
I liked the
- Size
- Price
- Number of channels for physical size
- Working F/S

I disliked
- Pins on top vs. end

Drawback
The only drawback I can see at present is that the TFR6 has its pins on top. Depending on intended use, and space limitations this may be a dealbreaker. Then again it might not. Given that the TFR6 will compete head to head with the R617FS, it makes sense that FrSky did so on the TFR6 too. It would be nice if FrSky did one "top" and one "end" version - like the new Hitec Minima 6E and 6T 2.4GHz receiver pair.

Summary
Only time will tell if this receiver works out equally well, or even better than, the older brother TFR8. The TFR8 has become very popular amongst FASST fliers - and I don't see any compelling reasons why this one will not too.
If you're in the market for a smaller FASST (compatible) receiver, you might want to check out the TFR6. In closing I should also mention that there's an ever smaller 4ch brother available that even works with Futabas surface systems, the TFR4.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with FrSky in any other way than being a happy customer of their products
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by thomanie; Sep 14, 2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added brief flight test info
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 12:15 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
810 Posts
Received two of these TFR6 units in the mail couple days ago. First impression is that it is a quality built receiver! Links up quick with my Futaba 8FG, and nice failsafe feature. Have not tried it out in a plane yet, but a club member that just got his as well, tested one out. Model was almost out of sight and range was fine.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:27 AM
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Oct 2009
59 Posts
Using the FASST compatible Orange Rx from Hobby King (FrSky TFR8) for over 1.5 years, I recently ordered 2 of the newer TFR6 form HK ($25+shipping. Hobbyking offers the best price for all FrSky Rx!!).
The experience started with a bitter one. Day-1, I crashed my 1.6Meter FlyFly hobby' Speedy glider and then one of the club member's AXN Floater. The crashes where later attributed by bad design of the Speedy for Tip stalls and a loose wing on the AXN.

I have been flying the TFR6 **Without any problem" on my 28" Depron F-22 (Tomhe plan) and a recently I popped the packing from the 2nd TFR6 and flew my 32" Swift Like KESL Depron without any problem. They seem to give enough range like other FrSky/Futaba Rx and decent latency/resolution...

Looking forward to use one on my upcoming scratch build Calmato 40 Ports Nitro....
ujjwaana is offline Find More Posts by ujjwaana
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:42 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,363 Posts
i have 3 of the rxs on order 1 orange and 2 of the FrSky TFR4 4ch 2.4Ghz Surface/Air Receiver . looking forward to using these .
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:06 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39 View Post
i have 3 of the rxs on order 1 orange and 2 of the FrSky TFR4 4ch 2.4Ghz Surface/Air Receiver . looking forward to using these .
Hi Scott39,
I just ordered 4 today of the FrSky Rxs. Hope to test them soon as well.

LOL, I love your Avatar, just like one of my planes:
1270mm T28 FLAPS (0 min 37 sec)
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:05 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,363 Posts
nice plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Hi Scott39,
I just ordered 4 today of the FrSky Rxs. Hope to test them soon as well.

LOL, I love your Avatar, just like one of my planes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQT1s2ik3dU
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Dec 2011
38 Posts
Where are good places to order these? I ordered some from Hobby king, but they are slow...
Capt. Purvis is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Purvis
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:51 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,363 Posts
i think HK is the only place to order but if you have other items orded with a order and dont mind paying the extra faster shipping then items get to you pretty fast.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,363 Posts
just got done test flying with 2 of the orange fast rxs from hobby king and the frshy tfr6s and yes they work great , bind up in a split sec , i did no range check but to fly the plane, all worked fine..
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Purvis View Post
Where are good places to order these? I ordered some from Hobby king, but they are slow...
I got mine from: http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001226825 2 weeks ago.
LOL, tracking shows that they might be loading them on the boat pretty soon, to California, USA.

The delay might be b/c of the Chinese new year accdng. from the email I received from them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,242 Posts
Just received 4pcs. from LeaderHobby.
All 4 working great on the bench.
Binded with T7C and 6EX.
Tested on 6 different servo brands, 2 retracts for about and hour, while constantly playing with the sticks, with NO issues found at all.
Range test will be done tomorrow.
Very happy with the result so far.
-Spyro
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:17 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,500 Posts
Can someone please give me binding instructions ?
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:34 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Can someone please give me binding instructions ?
1. Turn ON Tx
2. Press & hold binding button on Rx
3. Power on Rx, Light will turn green = binded
4. Release binding button
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:35 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,500 Posts
Many thanks - This is really going to kill the FASST market. Why are they SO expensive.. they have gone UP in price... Futaba... lower your prices by 50% or thats it for you guys...
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Last edited by OzparkPilot; Feb 14, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,242 Posts
In addition to my test (above),
Power Down Mode and 1000ft altitude range tests were done last weekend.
NO trouble found. All servos responding great & no range test issues.
Thanks to FrSky.
-Spyro
RCG Plus Member