Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:54 AM
Flap flier
Sweden
Joined Aug 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyfloats View Post
Hi,
I have enjoyed reading this thread, and will be getting the e-flite super cub soon, I would like to change the N number and the stripe on the fuselage. Can anyone tell me if I can remove the stripe and N number and redo them or do I have to strip the entire fuselage and recover?
I have several foamies and this will be my first balsa/ply model.
I have a related question. How are these numbers-identification set up? I mean, does N stand for a specific place or anything else? And the numbers?

I see some models having letters only, others having a mix. I ask because I don't want to make a fool of myself naming ny new scratch built Super cub
Flahultarn is offline Find More Posts by Flahultarn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:19 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,703 Posts
It's the plane registration number or tail number... First letter is country of origin N (November) identify planes registered from the USA, G (gulf) for planes from Canada followed by a plane specific Alfa-newmeric code. Such as N2760D, read November-2-7-6-0-delta. Hope this helps!
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, NY, Otsego
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
N2760D is the registration number commonly refered to as the N number by pilots and mechanics. early registrations had 2 letters followed by 5 numbers - NC27606. When you buy an airplane you can keep the registration number or you can apply for one that has special meaning to you such as N18JP, the 1 for the first super cub you have owned, the 8 for the 8th airplane and JP for your initials.
iflyfloats is offline Find More Posts by iflyfloats
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Aug 2011
81 Posts
Ok boys, after a half dozen or so flights my cub is no longer…. My ego and pride has taken a big hit, I have been flying RC for many years, so this was not easy for me to see happen. I know years of experience doesn’t mean much sometimes, but it’s been a long while since I have had a total write off, from what I gather purely pilot error, and purely pilot error not while doing or trying new things, just simply flying. I will explain the scenario and I would like to know your opinions on the matter, it’s bothering me that it seems such a simple mistake has led to a total write off. I don’t want to come off as master pilot, so please don’t read into anything here, I just need a little help on this one.

So here it is, the cub was set up as per the manual (control throws, aileron diff etc…) C of G was at the tail heavy end of the envelope but still within the range. However I didn’t balance it laterally, this might have contributed to my crash. I suspect it was pushed back due to the skis I was using. I got a set from Maiden skis, and they are very nice, but a little heavy and just a smidge big for this aircraft, but still acceptable. I have an O.S. .30 Brushelss (thought I would give it a try since it’s similar specs and price as the Power 32), with a Turnigy 4S 3300 for power, spinning a 12x8 prop. Speed control is the E-Flite 60amp, servos hitec MG225.

The weather was a bit windy, about 20kph fairly steady with some guests between 15-25kph. Nothing I have not flow in with my other planes, so I was not too worried. Temperature was around 0-+2 most of the day, so nice winter day here in Canada.

First few circuits were to the right with a nice touch and go into the wind, after a touch and go I changed to left hand circuits. After the climb out I turned to the left for a down wind, and it continued to roll to the left, I instinctually stuffed in a whole bunch of right aileron (this of course made the roll worse), I backed off the throttle and fed in right rudder, but by this time it was too late… SMASH! Along with my ego and pride….

I think what happened was as I turn down wind the sudden high tail wind cause a loss of lift, coupled with a left turn, high power setting cause the cub to continue to roll, and put it into a spiral. My reaction was not fast enough to correct, plus the wrong initial reaction, and being fairly low spelled disaster.

Other the last few years I have been only flying high performance aerobatic 3dish planes, where flying with the rudder is not as important as a scale plane such as the cub, and I have gotten comfortable using less rudder for simple co-ordinated turns, and slower flying.

I will get another cub, as I really like the look and the way it flies, in my opinion E-Flite has done a great job with the plane, and I miss seeing it in my fleet, plus I my ego won’t let me sleep until I get another one and prove to myself that I can handle this deceivingly (not so easy to fly), cuddly little cub!

So what do you guys think? Have some of you flow in windy conditions and had any bad or near bad experiences? Have any of you entered a spiral dive and recovered? I ask here cuz there seems to be a large range of experience on this thread with the cub and over all experience, so I thought this would be the best place to post unfortunate experience…
DHC8 is offline Find More Posts by DHC8
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
Spokane, WA
Joined Aug 2009
352 Posts
Sorry for the loss of the plane, that is never fun. Sounds similar to one of the first crash videos in this thread. Just a little slow on the down wind leg. Sounds like you were low and slow, still no chance of fixing it? Maybe come back to it in a couple days when the emotions die down a bit and re-assess the damage. Your analysis sounds right to me, often times our first reaction is to blame the electronics as I know that used to be my go to excuse until it kept happening in similar flight circumstances.
pldawg is offline Find More Posts by pldawg
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
When flying in the wind your apparent air speed is very different from real air speed when you turn fron flying into the wind to down wind.

in a 15mph wind and an apparent aire speed of 25mph your real air speed is 40mph. when you turn down wind and maintain the same apparent air speed you real air speed will be 10mph. That will be an instant stall and crash.

in the wind it is best to use a higher power setting and be sure that the nose is always a bit down in the turn. In the event of a stall recovery is level the wings, down elevator and full power. Only pull up when you are sure you have recovered flying speed.

It is very unlikley that the small inbalance from the different weight wings made any differenc in the outcome..

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,703 Posts
First, sorry about the crash!!! The cub is one of the tuffest planes of mine to fly, defiantly not a beginner plane. Not at all saying you are! Airspeed is important with this plane and a wind could easily take away your lift causing a wing stall and subsequent spin. Best thing is to keep airspeed up into a downwind turn. When in a spin trainers will correct with the help of dihedral... The cub on the other hand requires quick opposite rudder as airspeed increases as altitude loss is happening. I usually don't put the cub up in windy conditions as I had a similar close call. But, now I know this I haven't had a issue with a spin other then the ones I purposely enter, and I'm sure it will be the same for you. Good luck
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:42 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
I once saw my buddy flying a DuraPlane, he called it a Duraturd, fly from crosswind to downwind in about a 20mph wind. It stalled instantly and just fell to earth. It was the stranges thing either of us had ever seen. It just quit flying!
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:29 AM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
My condolences DHC8, sounds like a downwind stall to me. When you turned it downwind you had plenty of groundspeed, but low airspeed, and it stalled.

My solution to a write-off is you get to look forward to doing a new model, and you already got all the electronic/mechanical stuff for it. Ya just have to find the right airframe for it.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,329 Posts
For all of you that want to learn to use rudder.......fly a heli.

Flying helis makes you a better airplane pilot. You WILL learn to use that rudder. I can't count the number of guys that 'forget' the left stick once they take off.
jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:08 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Aug 2011
81 Posts
Here is a picture of the aftermath... I couldn't take any more pictures.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:28 PM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC8 View Post
Major bummer.....I do feel your pain.
jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:51 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC8 View Post
Man, that looks repairable. Other than the nose, I don't see any damage.

jbrundt, I agree, I only have a Blade MCX but I fly heli's on my simulator a lot. I'm looking at a 500 sized electric to start with. I want a fairly good sized one.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Last edited by Taildragger55; Feb 23, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:12 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Aug 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildragger55 View Post
Man, that looks repairable. Other than the nose, I don't see any damage.
You can't see it in the picture, but the left wing is also in bad shape, but repairable, however the only thing in the cowling is the motor. Everything else was splinters... like nothing left... I was surprised that the rest of the plane survived as good as it did.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
**Balsa Mulisha**
So. Cal
Joined Jun 2009
206 Posts
abc
Wrongstuff05 is offline Find More Posts by Wrongstuff05
Last edited by Wrongstuff05; Feb 24, 2012 at 03:40 AM.