HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:22 PM
DODOLAND
Joined Feb 2009
151 Posts
lol,will do
I/m new to wing,do you think I can go straight to the zephyr or would you recommend something else.

thanks,
Anthony.
flight01 is offline Find More Posts by flight01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:25 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
if you're new to R/C, it's not recommended to jump to the Zephyr right away. If you can handle planes but never flown a wing, you can build it light or even "naked" at first and later switch to a more heavy build. I certainly don't recommend following my motor setup, this is my 2nd zephyr and I only now feel comfortable enough to put this kind of a power system on it.

The general rule is, the heavier she is, the faster she will fly which ultimately means harder to land and more difficult to launch and the less forgiving she'll be in a stall. If you follow my instructions here or in my other build thread closely she will fly spot on and you will have a hard time stalling her on purpose.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:35 PM
DODOLAND
Joined Feb 2009
151 Posts
Thanks trappy,will join in shortly.I PM klique for more info about shipping to dodoland.

Anthony.
flight01 is offline Find More Posts by flight01
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:59 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,883 Posts
The Zephyr is an awesome airplane, I love flying wings The speed and streingth of a wing just cant be beat ! I have a Zephyr, and while it flys great, I made it much too tail heavy, I added 16 ounces to the nose to get it to balance My advice to anyone is put everything as far foward as possible, and once you have done that, find a way to move it even more foward so avoid having to add weight to it.

After totally screwing up my first Zephyr build, Klique sold me another peice of foam for a good price so that I could rebuld one with a correct CG. The quality of the Zehphyr kit is really nice, top quality EPP foam, very strong, much much better than the brittle, weak Elapor stuff that multiplex sells on the EZ Star and other planes. The Zephyr was designed for FPV and is well worth the money.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:40 PM
TerrorTrooping
South Wales, UK
Joined May 2010
54 Posts
Trappy, Is it possible you could take some build vids? of bits like the laminating?
Would be nice to see how its done!
And plenty of piccys of positioning of components, Wings are very interesting but there seems to be a lack of info on them.

Iain.
TerrorTrooper is offline Find More Posts by TerrorTrooper
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:02 PM
South West UK
Joined Jul 2009
136 Posts
I'm watching this one for component placement...

As Mike said, it's usually a case of put everything at the front, then try to work out how to move the front forwards :-)

Show us how it's done T
sirocco is offline Find More Posts by sirocco
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
---
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Last edited by AgentCow007; Dec 08, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:03 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,883 Posts
I launch mine with my RC transmitter in one hand, and the Zephyr in the other. I turn on the FMA copilot, which does a very good job of leveling it after the throw until I can get my hand on the stick. It aweome, I am very fast but I still need the copilot to do alone. I throw it hard straight foward power off, but in that half second it takes me to get get my right hand on the stick to control the elevator and ailerons, and to throttle up, I can see the plane make the correction to level as it nears the ground. The power comes on and I fly out. Remember my plane is very very heavy, so if I can hand launch with 16 ounce of lead in the nose, a lighter Zephyr should be easy.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
---
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Last edited by AgentCow007; Dec 08, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
The Zephyr is an awesome airplane, I love flying wings The speed and streingth of a wing just cant be beat ! I have a Zephyr, and while it flys great, I made it much too tail heavy, I added 16 ounces to the nose to get it to balance My advice to anyone is put everything as far foward as possible, and once you have done that, find a way to move it even more foward so avoid having to add weight to it.

After totally screwing up my first Zephyr build, Klique sold me another peice of foam for a good price so that I could rebuld one with a correct CG. The quality of the Zehphyr kit is really nice, top quality EPP foam, very strong, much much better than the brittle, weak Elapor stuff that multiplex sells on the EZ Star and other planes. The Zephyr was designed for FPV and is well worth the money.

Mike
The thing about flying wings is the component placement is sort of permanent. If you get it right, fine. If you get it wrong, its screwed, the wing is weakened. So its important to dry fit all the stuff before cutting the holes.

According to Chris, the Zephyr is made for FPV.
Fibreglass rods are used instead of CF.
Balsa ailerons are used instead of foam and they fit the trailing edge just right.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:33 PM
Destructive testing expert!
Bemidji, MN
Joined Dec 2003
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
The thing about flying wings is the component placement is sort of permanent. If you get it right, fine. If you get it wrong, its screwed, the wing is weakened. So its important to dry fit all the stuff before cutting the holes.
You can dry fit the components all you want. This is only a part of the CG issue. The 3M90 / RiteWeave is what made mine tail heavy. I did what you said and it balanced great prior to the covering process.

I ended up with about 5 oz of lead in the nose of mine to CG it. Due to the overall weight, it was a bit of a dog with the same power system Trappy had in his original Zeph. This made it very tough to launch.

I upgraded the power system to a Phoenix 80 and a 1800kv 500 sized heli motor (Turnigy Typhoon 500H) and am now at 800 watts and it is FUN to fly She's very fast and tracks like it's on rails and accelerates vertically with a pitch speed of over 100 mph. It now weighs 2.2kg and flies with a 3s 5000 pack.

The great thing about the Zepher is the durability. Before I built this thing, I had no clue how strong it would end up and overdid the Riteweave / 3M90.

To tell you how tough it is, I first tried an APC folding prop with 800 watts. BIG MISTAKE, but I still have all my fingers and eyes!

Within about 1 second of run up, the prop threw a blade and was so unbalanced with a blade missing that it tore the aluminum motor mount in half and bent the 5mm shaft on the motor. The aluminum motor mount bolts to an aluminum plate that is embedded into the Zephyr.

Other than shaving some of the Monocote off where the flying prop struck the airframe, it did zero damage to the Zeph. The aluminum plate that is embedded into the Zephyr was totally intact and wasn't even broken loose. I couldn't believe it. This would have torn any other airframe apart!

I'm anxious to follow this build! Go Trappy!

I may have to build version 2 myself. I may do an almost naked build... We'll see.

Anxiously waiting!!
Bill Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Bill Sanford
Last edited by Bill Sanford; Jul 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Typo!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:44 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Hi Bill,

Then what we need is a calculator to estimate the moment arm due to the Riteweave or Monokote or whatever covering. Say 140 g (5 oz) at X mm behind the CG. Balance out that moment arm with Y g weight at Z mm forward of the CG. This is after balancing the components on the naked foam on the CG.

140X = YZ
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:54 PM
Bemidji, MN
Joined Dec 2003
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I launch mine with my RC transmitter in one hand, and the Zephyr in the other. I turn on the FMA copilot, which does a very good job of leveling it after the throw until I can get my hand on the stick. It aweome, I am very fast but I still need the copilot to do alone. I throw it hard straight foward power off, but in that half second it takes me to get get my right hand on the stick to control the elevator and ailerons, and to throttle up, I can see the plane make the correction to level as it nears the ground. The power comes on and I fly out. Remember my plane is very very heavy, so if I can hand launch with 16 ounce of lead in the nose, a lighter Zephyr should be easy.

Mike
I'm impressed!

I haven't had the balls to try to launch mine alone. And like agentcow007, not too many are willing to get involved once I burp the throttle and they hear 800 watts running through a 9x6 prop.

Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:55 PM
Bemidji, MN
Joined Dec 2003
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Hi Bill,

Then what we need is a calculator to estimate the moment arm due to the Riteweave or Monokote or whatever covering. Say 140 g (5 oz) at X mm behind the CG. Balance out that moment arm with Y g weight at Z mm forward of the CG. This is after balancing the components on the naked foam on the CG.

140X = YZ
Yea, I know that now. Hindsight is 20/20...
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:38 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Bill ,people tend to over do the riteweave and the 3m 90on the zeph if its their first ritewing.
Its the anal part of trying to do it the best you can,lol dont feel bad

Thats why I have ben working on this style of building,you will be able to paint the zeph before you laminate it,you will use minimal riteweave if any dep on how you want it to turn out.

I am going to work with trappy on this build thread to help clear things up,plus make the build super simple ,strong and a great flying zeph.

I have some pix I will be adding to this thread that you guys will love.

I will also be designing a 48'' zeph and a triangle pusher delta wing for you guys

ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique