SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:03 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,646 Posts
Discussion
Push tug

After taking a bit of ribbing about not having a Springer tug I decided to go a head.
WELL after some research I decided not on a Springer but a small push tug.
25 ft twin engine. So a 1/12 scale is in order. I contacted the company that makes this tug and found that they will modify it any way you want it.
The thing I found most interesting is the throttle set up. With fore and aft rudders they use twist throttles on the rudder tillers.
The construction started on the June 22 I started the drawings. June 30th I built the pilot house and cabin, Saturday July 3I did the hull. Now I have too wait for my drive shafts, as I did not have any in stock.
The woman I spoke too was very helpful, but Evey time I asked if this could be added to the tug she said "we have already done that"
Above deck is all Styren and the hull is all 1/8 lite-ply.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:06 AM
Formerly Nuke Power
United States, NY, Gloversville
Joined May 2007
426 Posts
"we will modify it any way you want" Is a cool thing to hear when you are doing a scratch build.

How big is this in 1/12
Rogue Sub is offline Find More Posts by Rogue Sub
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:22 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Well, doing the math, if the workboat is a 25 footer and John's doing it in 1/12th scale, then it'd be 25", wouldn't it---.

Somebody flunked Math 101---?
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:01 PM
Formerly Nuke Power
United States, NY, Gloversville
Joined May 2007
426 Posts
Wow so glad you were able to square that away I was almost lost without it..unfortunately there is more to life then just length...maybe that is taught in Math 102?
Rogue Sub is offline Find More Posts by Rogue Sub
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:56 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,243 Posts
A cool build and all plastic? correct?
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:49 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morris View Post
A cool build and all plastic? correct?
Jerome, I see some wood strip reinforcing, but he could have used plastic for that too.

Unless he's changed his ways, I recall that John buys his styrene material in 4' x 8' sheets.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:49 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,646 Posts
I did buy 4x8, I've down sized to 2x4 ft now. I buy my ply in 12x24 in. Just makes it easier to handle.
Above deck is Styrene with wood bracing. The hull is all 1/8 lite-ply, weighs nothing. I would rather put weight in as batteries or functions. This will use 8 plus channels.
channels:
1. rear rudders
2. #1 throttle (starboard)
3. #2 throttle(port)
4. front (4) rudders
5. Tow surprise
6. servo select (A) or (B)
7. rotate roof spot light
8. Engine sound and/or smoke
A. inter and/or running lights
B. deck spot lights and/or roof spot lights.
She is 25x12 inch. I think Iíll have more then enough horse power to pull down a house.
I am not going to glass the hull, but just a couple of coats of polyester resin.
I ran into a problem Sunday, my wife noticed my plywood was made in Italy, SOOOOOOO I have to paint the boat in the Italian colors. Her father was Italian her mother Argentine. Not a combination you mess with.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:20 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,646 Posts
The up dated print with wiring
The great thing is I use a computer radio and i will mix the rudders so I can use 1 stick to controll all 6 or switch of the mix and have seprate rudder control. I'll do the the same with trottles.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:02 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
I always thought "truckable push tug" was the correct nomenclature and "Springer" was a made up name because they attached door springs to the push knees.

Nice looking design and the features are mind boggling!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:08 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,671 Posts
[QUOTE=Kmot;15479514]I always thought "truckable push tug" was the correct nomenclature and "Springer" was a made up name because they attached door springs to the push knees.
QUOTE]
Kmot
Truckable is the correct termanology for a build like this. The Springers are called such for the persons who came up with the design and model concept for the NW R/C Shipmodelers ( home of the original idea)--Dave and John Springer ( father and son ). Idea to be able to make a simple yet affordable model for a beginner with limited skills and budget.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:42 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
Might want to re-think those front windows on the lower cabin... (and stairway from the foredeck to engine room?)
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:44 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Very Kool John

This is a very cool scratchbuild - just the right size and with independent throttle you turn her on her beam. Looks like lots of fun. A real thought provoker for us couch modelers.

Have a happy launching,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:19 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,243 Posts
Couch modelers, Now there's a new one for the dictionary.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:50 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlboats2003 View Post
This is a very cool scratchbuild - just the right size and with independent throttle you turn her on her beam. Looks like lots of fun. A real thought provoker for us couch modelers.
Have a happy launching,Rich
Rich Long does not qualify as a "couch" modeler---.

He has more than quite a few nicely-built boats, and does not rate that demeaning title---.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:28 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence der Kapitan

Some times you just have to sit with a hull or the instructions of a kit on the couch on these warm days (after an evening of wet sanding the cabin of the Morgan 30 in preperation for removing ports and hatches for a resin prep coat and then the application of white Perfection) and say what can I do with this. Case in Point - the Liberty Tug - I have seen guys make the topsides really Kool with coffee stir sticks and scribed decks, but no one really changes the vac-u-formed hull to give it a really Tug type look - until some one mentioned in a different forum on old tugs to use the Dumas Lackawanna hull (not in any relationship to the Liberty tug)which has some real +++'s Well you get the drift. The problem these couch modeling efforts don't get anything built.

The other couch modeling is searching the picture files for something interesting - Case in point 5 years ago when I was still shooting film - I took pictures of a really cool push boat (about 30') that was sitting down by Harry Waterfront Resturant in Buffalo - I shot 2-3 rolls of film and took measurement with a tape measure, I know I had the film developed and it was very similiar to this one that John is building except, I was going to take a single screw Vac-u-tow and build this marina pushboat. Even bought the special plastic raised steel diamond decking. But can I find the pictures?

That is what I mean by Couch Modeling - all that time a person sits with scale rulers, dividers,cailbers and scratch paper and your laptop computer (which has an excel program that turns all of Der Kaptian tug hulls (as well as dumas, hartman, Loyalhanna ect to what it would be in each typical boat modeling scale from 1/96 through 1/8.) The what can I make with this thing! and will it be realistic!

Happy Modeling,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Last edited by rlboats2003; Jul 06, 2010 at 08:37 PM.