SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:57 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Discussion
Ever accidentally buy an airplane?

I was cruising eBay for little deals here and here. I had read an auction item for a Syma Super Sonic. Bidding started at a penny and shipping was cheap enough, so I put my penny bid in.

I then forgot about it.

Today, I am informed that I won. Oops! So, I then did a quick search through RCgroups about this little plane. Ah, all is well. Others appear to have done well with it, so I am not too worried. It also sounds highly modifiable.

So, any of you ever accidentally buy something off eBay?

caeman is offline Find More Posts by caeman
Last edited by caeman; Aug 24, 2007 at 08:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2007, 03:16 PM
Max
Joined Jul 2006
408 Posts
yes, a '87 Porsche 944 :-)
I put one bid on it 1500$ and then forgot about it. I got a response in 5 days that 52 people had it in watched items and that somehow no one else put a higher bid so I won.
msurguy is offline Find More Posts by msurguy
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:57 PM
"Cracking Toast Grommit!"
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msurguy
yes, a '87 Porsche 944 :-)
I put one bid on it 1500$ and then forgot about it. I got a response in 5 days that 52 people had it in watched items and that somehow no one else put a higher bid so I won.

SWEET!
metalbuggy is offline Find More Posts by metalbuggy
Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:37 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
418 Posts
That's great!
Do you think my wife would fall for such an excuse?

Well, I'm off to eBay...
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Aug 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
I'm building a new plane, and my wife asked me how many planes I have, and I answered "I don't know" What kinda question is that anyway?
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Aug 24, 2007, 07:45 AM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeman
I was cruising eBay for little deals here and here. I had read an auction item for a Syma Super Sonic. Bidding started at a penny and shipping was cheap enough, so I put my penny bid in.

I then forgot about it.

Today, I am informed that I won. Oops! So, I then did a quick search through RCgroups about this little plane. Ah, all is well. Others appear to have done well with it, so I am not too worried. It also sounds highly modifiable.

So, any of you ever accidentally buy something off eBay?

OH Boy.... Well, that particular little plane ACCIDENTALLY got me into R/C!

Years ago, that plane was marketed under the name "Sonic" (I don't recall the Syma name attached.

I ran across a deal, and bought several dozen of them for re-sale on eBay. I knew squat about R/C and people were asking questions I couldn't answer, so I put one together. Flew it. Broke it. Opened up another one. It went on like that for a while.

I had no idea how to fly it, or fix it, but I learned. I had no idea at the time what an addiction that would lead a middle-aged guy into.

I decided to try a "real" plane, and bought something bigger, with no research. Ended up with a "Badius". Another non-flying POS. Decided to do some reading and learn something. Found RCGroups, and started researching.

A few weeks later I had a SlowStick and a Flash-5 TX.

That was that.

Now I have planes, cars, trucks, anything R/C, all over the house. Every closet, every table top,... and my credit card company has been sending me "Thank You" notes, ever since.

Yeah. I "accidentally" bought that plane once.

-MB
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
Old Aug 24, 2007, 08:46 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MumblinBerk
I ran across a deal, and bought several dozen of them for re-sale on eBay. I knew squat about R/C and people were asking questions I couldn't answer, so I put one together. Flew it. Broke it. Opened up another one. It went on like that for a while.
How many planes did you go through?
caeman is offline Find More Posts by caeman