HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2014, 07:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,524 Posts
Question
Does anyone use a lifting stabilizer on electric gliders?

Waaaay back when I built free flight models a lifting stab, basically a miniature version of the wing, was used to maintain a more level climb without the need to figure out the balance between powered climb and glide trim. Would not a lifting stab, properly set up, on a powered glider provide the same benefit?
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2014, 12:27 AM
Joined Feb 2014
11 Posts
It should have that effect. However, if your radio supports mixing, you can just mix in some down elevator at high throttle settings. I have a 2 meter floater that I added an electric motor to, at full throttle it wants to go past vertical, so I set up a mix that adds down elevator but only at 80% throttle or more. Then it's just a matter of fiddling with how much elevator to mix in...
Gandalf223 is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf223
Old May 01, 2014, 06:32 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,895 Posts
I use the elevator stick.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old May 01, 2014, 08:14 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,921 Posts
....or use the correct amount of down-thrust on the motor mount.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old May 01, 2014, 09:07 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
544 Posts
More lift means more drag. A lifting stab is going to result in more drag which in turn is going to result in reduced penetration. So when you follow a thermal downwind it is going to be more difficult to return to the launch area.
Many years ago a famous designer of model airplanes designed a 2-meter sailplane that had a lifting stab. Myself and friend quickly purchased a kit and built one. When it was dead calm that sucker sure floated but we quickly discovered that with a wind speed much above 5 mph that it was nearly impossible to penetrate upwind.
Bob J is online now Find More Posts by Bob J
Old May 02, 2014, 08:27 PM
The Lone Sloper
USA, NY, Orchard Park
Joined Apr 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M View Post
YEH, Me too, too many mixes, too much to get screwed up. Thank You
zbytekfr is offline Find More Posts by zbytekfr
Old May 02, 2014, 10:25 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Free flights are essentially single speed airplanes, optimized to glide.
The motor just yanks them up to where the thermals might be.
Going upwind is just not something a free-flight does.
It drifts downwind while circling.
To get it going upwind, the elevator has to be used.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 02, 2014, 10:37 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbytekfr View Post
YEH, Me too, too many mixes, too much to get screwed up. Thank You
Me three. Thumb to brain mixing works well for me.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2014, 11:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,524 Posts
Thanks, guys. That's pretty much what I guessed but I can still see where an old timer with only thumb mixing available, or a newcomer on a budget, might benefit from the particular type of stability offered by a lifting tail. This whole train of thought comes from a discussion with a guy I trained long ago on a Cox EZ-Bee.

It was foam, powered by the obligatory Baby Bee, and had a very high lift wing. I actually loved the way it flew and the only thing keeping it from being the Radian of its day was that damned Baby Bee and lack of a folding prop. One of its quirks was that one would need to hold more down as the engine leaned out towards the end of the tank and then actually add more down when the engine quit, and one lost the benefit of the down thrust, until the speed bled off. This all occurred when the plane was highest ad farthest and my friend couldn't quite master it. He would start into a porpoise mode just before the engine quit and, as often as not, would be ready for landing by the time the PIO was under control or he handed me the transmitter.

Eventually; I fabricated a lifting stab for him and it worked like a charm. Even with the weight I added to the tail, and partially because of it, it made the plane much less oversensitive in pitch without any real harm to its gliding performance. For a beginner trying to master flight with a powered glider I can see where some designs might be tamed down a bit.

BTW. I still have a full set of plans and the female portion of most ribs and formers for a 72" Buzzard Bombshell. The original, with an O.S. .19 and a pound of radio gear, was a great sailplane. If I ever feel like a real project I might just make one with modern materials and a electric power train (and maybe retractable gear?).
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old May 03, 2014, 02:29 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Eventually; I fabricated a lifting stab for him and it worked like a charm. Even with the weight I added to the tail, and partially because of it, it made the plane much less oversensitive in pitch without any real harm to its gliding performance. For a beginner trying to master flight with a powered glider I can see where some designs might be tamed down a bit.
Raising the LE of the stab would have had the same result the same but with less drag.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc