SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
55 Posts
Thanks to the assistance I have received from this forum I have my AIO up and running with a Crius GPS.

I don't know if it is the way I have perceived things to work but nothing really seems to do what I thought it was supposed to.

Altitude Hold - Really makes no difference to the way it flys. Can still fly around
Level - Steadies it a little but that's about all. Can move it easily
Heading Hold - It rises and falls and slowly yaws right.
Position Hold - Does nothing
RTH - Does nothing

I have calibrated the Mag and Acc and have checked the GPS is working correctly.

Shouldn't these featured do what they are named (supposed) to do??

Does anyone's MR behave as you'd expect it to or am I expecting too much.

Thanks,

Lance
Vortexxx is offline Find More Posts by Vortexxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd4Kw View Post
As a followup to an earlier request for help thanks everyone. In the sketch I did see how to set or know what the ftdi port speed is. For MPNG can someone fill me in. I'm trying to get the BT working.
I wasted a lot of time trying to get bluetooth working but my problem was the way I was trying to power the AIOP.

The only way which seems to work is to use a 5v uBEC plugged into 'Extend power in' with the yellow jumper removed.

When I did that, BT just worked immediately with MPNG.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:19 AM
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
One mutation http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/26...d+MultiWii.htm
janekx is online now Find More Posts by janekx
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexxx View Post
I don't know if it is the way I have perceived things to work but nothing really seems to do what I thought it was supposed to.

Altitude Hold - Really makes no difference to the way it flys. Can still fly around
RTH - Does nothing
Altitude Hold: Once you have the copter hovering at a certain altitude, engaging AH will make it try to hold it regardless of the way it flies, without you having to correct from throttle. Barometer needs to be protected from sun, wind and prop-wash by a layer of foam, and the FC must not be in an airtight box.

Level: As opposed to Acro or 3D flight, once you let the sticks go, the copter will return to horizontal.

Heading hold: Once engaged, the flight forward will be on that axis, even if your copter front yaws left or right. Magnetic fields generated by motors, escs and power harness influences this alot.

Position Hold: keeps the copter from flying away using the GPS coordinates from the moment you activate the function and stop using TX controls. Coupled with Altitude Hold will keep the copter at a fixed point in space.

RTH: returns the copter to the coordinates at which the GPS unit was powered on and aquired 3D Lock.

Keep in mind that TX commands override most of the functions. Throttle commands will take precedence over AH. PH should be oblivious to yaw input, but pitching and rolling will break the hold. So on, so forth.

Plus, there's alot of fine-tuning of PID variables to make all the functions work as intended,
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:10 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePara View Post
Altitude Hold: Once you have the copter hovering at a certain altitude, engaging AH will make it try to hold it regardless of the way it flies, without you having to correct from throttle. Barometer needs to be protected from sun, wind and prop-wash by a layer of foam, and the FC must not be in an airtight box.

Level: As opposed to Acro or 3D flight, once you let the sticks go, the copter will return to horizontal.

Heading hold: Once engaged, the flight forward will be on that axis, even if your copter front yaws left or right. Magnetic fields generated by motors, escs and power harness influences this alot.

Position Hold: keeps the copter from flying away using the GPS coordinates from the moment you activate the function and stop using TX controls. Coupled with Altitude Hold will keep the copter at a fixed point in space.

RTH: returns the copter to the coordinates at which the GPS unit was powered on and aquired 3D Lock.

Keep in mind that TX commands override most of the functions. Throttle commands will take precedence over AH. PH should be oblivious to yaw input, but pitching and rolling will break the hold. So on, so forth.

Plus, there's alot of fine-tuning of PID variables to make all the functions work as intended,
In altitude hold, does the throttle work like it does on the NAZA? I.e. 50% means stay at this height, >50% means climb & <50% means descend?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
In altitude hold, does the throttle work like it does on the NAZA? I.e. 50% means stay at this height, >50% means climb & <50% means descend?
Not really.

Throttle can be in any position, and when the switch is activated, the board control only that the throttle is inside the narrow range of the original input.

If you apply some throttle ... that means 10/20 tick over the level of AH engage ... or 10/20 ticks below the level of AH .. then the new throttle signal is pass in the normal computation mode (that may or may not cause raise or descend)

If the AH switch is still on ... and Throttle is kept stable ... then the board will try to keep the quad in AH, based on the new altitude, that is read few cycle after the AH was "broken" due to throttle signal.

So ... somehow you can reproduce the NAZA, but it is not the same ... for sure not as accurate as ...

All is based on the bar reading ... if this is junk ... the AH is also junk

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: For low flight ... a sonar would be a better option, but it is still not really fully implemented as far as I know ... even if it is looking a trivial change ...
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:26 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePara View Post

Airtight make no sense .. and it is also almost impossible to achieve

If you put a rigid 100% airtight ... around the bar sensor ... then this sensor will always sense the same pressure independent by the real altitude

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:13 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Hi when you've the board configured to be powered via the external power pins with the jumper removed, should the gps show up in mission planner when power the board via usb (with no battery attached)?

Also when power normally is there any change in the leds ect. to show the gps has locked to sats?
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Last edited by NDw; Sep 21, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw View Post
Hi when you've the board configured to be powered via the external power pins with the jumper removed, should the gps show up in mission planner when power the board via usb (with no battery attached)?

Also when power normally is there any change in the leds ect. to show the gps has locked to sats?
Not sure about the LED's but you DO need to power the board normally to use GPS. USB power is not enough (it probably IS enough power - but it's not connected!).
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:18 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
For be on the safe side ... just take it from RTtimer.com ... the ALL IN ONE PRO cost just 2$ more then the cheapest available, but it is already 1.1

GPS module there are also well priced ... around 26$ (cheapest from eBeay is 25$) ... so no much sense to risk and fight with some compatibility issue ...

Anyhow, on hobbyking they had (now is in backorder, and who knows when and if will be back available): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=26588 ... that is a ALL IN ONE PRO clone + GPS ... for just 62$ + shipping (3$) ... so the best possible price.

As cheap alternative solution there is this path:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=27033 (26$) .... but it need some hacking (or i2c) for have a direct connected GPS ...

I'm currently hacking MultiWii 2.1 for have direct access to GPS (no i2c board) ... with a similar board as above ... (a clone of this: http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...1&productname=) ... the drawback is that GUI and GPS can't be connected on the same time .. but for the rest ... all is looking good so far.

This means that for 50$ you get all the needed parts ... for have a GPS controller ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
I have been following the new HK board thread and there is some debate as to whether the resolutiuon of the barometer is as good as AIOP. The HK board only supports Multiwii
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
NDw
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
Not sure about the LED's but you DO need to power the board normally to use GPS. USB power is not enough (it probably IS enough power - but it's not connected!).
Thanks. I was apprehensive about connecting the usb power and battery at the same time. But I tried it and now the gps shows up
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helidex View Post
I have been following the new HK board thread and there is some debate as to whether the resolutiuon of the barometer is as good as AIOP. The HK board only supports Multiwii
I've said in a different thread, and I'm repeating here: I'll never ever again lift a BMP085 in the air unless I'm too lazy to desolder it and there's a MS5611 on the same bus on it's alternate address.

@helidex: RcTimer is a dream-shop. They ship next day, don't have stock issues, don't charge for shipping and have rock-bottom prices. I've even had the surprise to have two of my orders (larger ones, $300+) automagically upgraded to DHL superfast delivery. Plus there's Nina on skype if you're in trouble.

@e_lm_70: I once wanted to have all-weather capability on an APM2.0 and lacquered the ESCs, hot-glue-and-shrinkwrap all connections and put FC and electronics in an almost airtight box. Needless to say, the quad didn't have any AH capability If you look closely, there's a "not" in my post above.
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:20 PM
NDw
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexxx View Post
Thanks to the assistance I have received from this forum I have my AIO up and running with a Crius GPS.

RTH - Does nothing

I have calibrated the Mag and Acc and have checked the GPS is working correctly.

Shouldn't these featured do what they are named (supposed) to do??

Does anyone's MR behave as you'd expect it to or am I expecting too much.

Thanks,

Lance
I'ves tested altitude hold and loiter. Altitude hold tries to hold altitude on it's own. And works fairly well. It will prob. work better once I cover the bar. sensor with a piece of foam as suggested.

Loiter does the same thing as altitude hold but as well as maintaining height tries to hold the position and that also works very well.

I also tried position hold which did nothing at all.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:47 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
WOOT! my AIOP arrived today!

it will come in my FlatHex with u-blox gps (remainder of my smashed rabbit) and apc220 wireless. and if it will work a sonar..
it will be running megapirate software.

to bad i don't have time to program it all today, or the next few days..
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
Take it easy i have no time too and china post service lost somewhere my gps and sonar
janekx is online now Find More Posts by janekx