HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined May 2011
69 Posts
Question
Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 75

Hi everyone,

I have been using a Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 75 amp esc in my Sebart Wind for about 8 months now and lately I have had a few problems.

I am not sure if the problem is the speed controller or something else but one day just after i took off I went to turn and it didn't respond. Then all of a sudden it rolled inverted, but I got control back after that.

It didn't do it again for about 10 flights but then another day, I had just done a spin and was diving strait at the ground and it didn't pull out when I wanted it to. Then just like the first time all of a sudden it pulled out. I went to throttle up again but it wouldn't go.

After I landed the speed controller was doing 5 beeps which in the manual says - "Signal from reciever is corrupt or non existant. Check transmitter and reciever." The problem is the light on the reciever is still solid which means the connection is still good.

I am using a dx6i and an ar6200. I know it sounds like a brown out but it seems strange that it did it strait after take off when I hadn't moved the controls at all.

Thanks.
Ben Biggs is offline Find More Posts by Ben Biggs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I generally use a separate rx battery/bec with my expensive models, no worth risking anything here ...
Was the tx fully charged? its battery will degrade over time ...
Do you check the balancing on your lipos?
I would also use castle link to update the firmware of the ESC to the latest version.

... my humble contribution to a noble cause ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old May 01, 2012, 11:47 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,873 Posts
Never had a problem when using the internal BEC within its limits on CC Esc's.
Try swapping out the rx with another one, see if its the rx first.
It could be a bad solder joint on an rx pin or something similar. Has either rx or esc been in a crash?
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Yeah, sounds to me like an rx issue having nothing to do with the esc.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old May 01, 2012, 09:57 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Check the bulletins for your DX6i. Early DSMX radios had issues with DSM2 receivers (like the AR6200). If your radio is listed you should send it in to horizon to get the fixed firmware for it.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old May 02, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined May 2011
69 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys.

Quote:
Was the tx fully charged? its battery will degrade over time ...
Do you check the balancing on your lipos?
I would also use castle link to update the firmware of the ESC to the latest version.
I originaly thought it was caused by low transmitter batteries and i changed them but then it did it again. The batteries have probably had about 50 flights now but I always balance them and they were balanced ok afterwards. . I might update the firmware of the ESC as well because the data logging shows the incorrect amount of amps being drawn.

Now I think about it I crashed a plane a long time ago with that reciever. Maybe that could be causing the problem.
Ben Biggs is offline Find More Posts by Ben Biggs
Old May 02, 2012, 10:24 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
I crashed a plane a long time ago with that reciever.
oh ohhh!
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny