SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Question
Suggestions for a hand launch glider?

I'm looking for a HLG as a present for my husband this Father's Day. He used to fly, LOVED it and has not flown in 5 or 6 years. He is very experienced and was to the point of competition, though had not entered in any.

He mentioned he wants a hn1033, v tail, 60" with ailerons.

I know next to nothing about HLG, was looking at Art Hobby's Hyper 1.5...? Any suggestions out there? With his experience I suppose adding the ailerons is no big deal?

Thanks all!!
Flying Family is offline Find More Posts by Flying Family
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:23 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,262 Posts
Call. Soaring USA.
www.soaringusa.com
Talk to Bob ...they offer a building service as well.

I'd go with a modern molded model for him.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:32 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,698 Posts
Hand launch is pretty much considered old school and doesnt get half the launch height as a Discus launch

DLG is really what he needs [if he likes his shoulders intact.

Hand launching can be done with a V tail
Disc launching snaps off V tails

The hn1033 are also old school

Things to look for in the plus category
-ag455 or Drela foils
-edge foils
-zone foils
-AUWeights no more than 10 ounces
-consider if the glider [if buying used] is set up for either a lt hand thrower or a rt hand thrower

Art hobby gliders have there purpose but really are not what a experience flyer will flourish with. They are heavy and better suited for forms of flying/soaring that are not so particular about weight

Also, The "sticky"" thread at the top of this page is of great use when guys like me suggest things like

-topsky two
-predator
-taboo
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728220

IMO if buying new. You want to spend about 300-400
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:42 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,262 Posts
I disagree about the price...
You'll need to spend at least 1000 dollars.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:01 AM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Flying Family, what a great present you are looking in to!

You do not need to spend a grand to get a great gift for him it would help to know if he wants a DLG or a hand launch. It would also be nice to have a budget for suggestions.

There are many great choices now that fall between the two ranges provided already.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:37 AM
Sdr
Scott R
Joined Oct 2004
182 Posts
Your husband is one lucky dude.

There is really only one sure fire way you'll be sure to get him the right plane/equipment and that is to give him a gift certificate and let him choose.

Something else to bear in mind is, does he still have radio equipment? Even if he does you need to consider how old it is. If he last flew 5-6 years ago, it's quite possible his radio gear was several years old then. This hobby is ever evolving and sometimes at a very rapid pace. As an example, if he decides to go into discus launch gliders (DLG) his old gear just may not be capable of the necessary programming.

So it would be best to just give him the cash to go hog wild where he sees fit. Cash being the operative word there, instead of buying certificate from a certicertain vendor. If you get him a Soaring USA certificate, after some research, he might really want a plane that only Skip Miller or some other vendor has.
Sdr is offline Find More Posts by Sdr
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Sage Advice!

Great thoughts on the discus launch. I'm sure he would appreciate the ease of this over the HLG. I was hoping to keep it under $300 if possible. My husband is very capable and knowledgable so I'm sure he'll roll with whatever I choose as long as its somewhat intermediate, plus he'll be so thrilled to get back into it, he'll enjoy the technical updates. I really can't go wrong, he's getting back in to an awesome hobby.

Pretty awesome Father's Day present for his first father's day to hand him a plane, better than a gift certificate...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,262 Posts
Building/ assembling these things is not easy.

I would definitely call Bob and ask for his advice. He will not steer you wrong even if you don't buy from him.

I'm sure Skip is cool too... I simply don't know him yet.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Building/ assembling these things is not easy.

I would definitely call Bob and ask for his advice. He will not steer you wrong even if you don't buy from him.

I'm sure Skip is cool too... I simply don't know him yet.
Brother Kenny, You are one of the few I know of that has other people assemble their planes! Enough with the fear

Flying Family,

In your price range you can get him one of the TopSky or Predator models. This will be for the air frame only without radio gear. Then he will be able to learn about the new stuff and equip the plane.

There is a lot of manual labor in building the parts for one of these which is why the kits tend to cost more than some other types of planes. There are a plethora of new planes on the market that are very high performance in the 4-700 range for an air frame. Servos and radio gear can be moved from model to model in many cases after that frame is retired. Many opt to go with new gear.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,668 Posts
I tell people to call Barry Kennedy and get a Blaster. Parts are availble and he usally has them in stock. Good colors and as I said they have parts if one breaks. D-box to full carbon. These are good competitive DLG's. This is a good starter for the experinced sailplane guy wanting a DLG

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,035 Posts
To stay below the $300 limit I'd suggest a Predator 2, great plane and very good craftsmanship.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,678 Posts
What part of the world are you in?
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
Brother Kenny, You are one of the few I know of that has other people assemble their planes! Enough with the fear .

Hi brother Jim

The main reason I have my planes assembled, is for the education.
I like to know the secrets that the professionals use, with the understanding that a build will not tell you everything.
As you know, the ailerons on the Steigeisen take special preparation to avoid flutter on launch. Thomas' build would not tell me that.
What it did tell me, was the layout and length of all the internal connections.
I have become quite the expert doing repairs and replacements.

I'm not lazy, I just want it done right... and once I see something, I'm usually good enough with my hands to duplicate it.

Reading the OP, and seeing that he's been away from the hobby for a while, I thought my suggestion might be worth considering, in case he has similar reasons.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n View Post
I tell people to call Barry Kennedy and get a Blaster. Parts are availble and he usally has them in stock. Good colors and as I said they have parts if one breaks. D-box to full carbon. These are good competitive DLG's. This is a good starter for the experinced sailplane guy wanting a DLG

Jeff
This is what I would do... Plan b for me.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
I casually asked him about building planes and he told me he's built a bunch of planes, and varying kinds including foam and fiberglass ones. We're in South Carolina. Like most fun hobbies you're passionate about, I know the $300 is a drop in the bucket with much more to come. Figure radio gear can follow this summer, with the simple intent to get back in it for now.

Grateful for your time and suggestions all!!