HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
That just hurts to watch! did uou find out what caused the dead stick!
Not a clue ! had it on a high idle switch with high idle on, no idea what could have happened.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
The problem i run into with blipping while trying to lower can* be sudden torque roll
True but also blipping the throttle helps me keep it from torque rolling.

I think...

Heck, I havent flown anything in 3 months so dont listen to me.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post

I think...

I've read that guys pulse it to keep the engine from loading up fowling the plug and flamming out. Not sure it's true or not, not experienced enough.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:33 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post

I think...

Whoa! Craig!

You haven't flown since you were here!

That just plain suxxx...
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:16 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
WOOT! My new 51" Slick was sitting on my door-step tonight. After just a few hours of work the tail surfaces, landing gear, and tail wheel are installed. Expect to finish the model tomorrow night or Thursday!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:16 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey View Post
Whoa! Craig!

You haven't flown since you were here!

That just plain suxxx...
Just about. I took the girls out and let them fly back in june. Oh, I did maiden plus one flight on my cub with floats but that doesn't really count
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:28 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
I've read that guys pulse it to keep the engine from loading up fowling the plug and flamming out. Not sure it's true or not, not experienced enough.
If tuned properly you shouldnt need to.

With an electric a hit of throttle will stop it from torqueing. I have noticed with gas when you hit the throttle it will torque. Took me a bit to get used to that after flying nothing but electrics.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:08 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
How do you guys lower your planes in hover, pulse the throttle and lower the stick a bit at a time or keep constant power and lower the stick. Used to do it pretty decent but lately can't lower it at all. 89 gas slick
Ryan Evans told me one time that to "stop" the torque roll, or help stop it for those of us/ me who are not ready for belly in, to blip the throttle LOWER. The trick it to drop it the. Get the stick back around where it was, meaning instead of goosing the throttle, yur going down instead of up. This was very hard for me to make my fingers do heheheh. But it does stop the roll.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:20 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
It takes more practice, but you will torque roll less with smooth throttle. And slowly reducing throttle to lower the plane. My friend who will torque roll his 40% carden 1" off the ground will almost never blip the throttle.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:25 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,243 Posts
Quote:
My problems with lowering it came just after this, might have something to do with it

http://youtu.be/w9MWjPwH2eA
Ouch. But if you were hovering lower the damage would have been less. You were right in the death zone..too low to recover, and high enough to do damage. For an 89 I would either hover higher than 75-100 feet, or under 15! So keep that in mind to convince yourself to go lower!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
If tuned properly you shouldnt need to.

With an electric a hit of throttle will stop it from torqueing. I have noticed with gas when you hit the throttle it will torque. Took me a bit to get used to that after flying nothing but electrics.
aerodynamics doesn't know what is causing the prop to go around, no difference between electrics and gassers... it's probably just prop selection with respect to prop weight and dimensions. Get a light prop on there like a Falcon or Vess carbon, sweetness. Throttle pulsing on 104's can actually get them to rotate slowly against torque.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,185 Posts
Those having issues in holding the plane from torque rolling in a hover... the two best things that will help are: a) more aileron throw, or b) see if you can make the plane lighter. Most 3DHS planes will happily have enough aileron authority to stop a torque roll, but if you can make the plane lighter, this is the easiest way to help out as the plane needs less torque to hold the hover...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Apr 2009
120 Posts
Quote:
I take meshed drywall tape line the inside of the wheel pants, then a thin coat of Gorilla Glue. I just run water from a faucet inside the pants wet them good then shake the water out then brush the GG glue over the meshed tape. The GG glue expands to app 1/4 inch thick and just adds a couple of grams to each pant. Haven't cracked a pant since. I also use 2mm blind nuts and bolts vs. the screws on the landing gear. Other guys at my field have used the meshed tape and epoxy they are much more durable than stock but they still crack a bit. Gorrill Glue over the mesh holds yet is flexible.Done this on my 51 -70 and 89 Slicks. You won't be dissapointed.

http://www.toolup.com/marshalltown_m...FQjZQgodjVgAUg
Great idea! I will try that! I will add a block on the outside for the axle to fit in also. Wonderful ideas guys!
REXBIRK is offline Find More Posts by REXBIRK
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:01 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,422 Posts
REX....bring E and come on down for huckfest!!!

Mike
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
I fiberglass the inside of my wheel pants and you can glass a wood block in the outer side of the pant with a hole to fit the end of the axle....very durable.
Add a block to the outside of the pant, or the inside of the outeside, any pics.
Last edited by goflyhighrc; Sep 12, 2012 at 08:40 PM.