Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:12 AM
PCM - Pro. Crash Master
USA, PA, Maytown
Joined Jan 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
It has a shonky gyro, straight up!

It is the heading hold technology (I think thats what it is called) to be more specific. When you have a working mCX2, hold it in your hand, throttle it up, then spin it around, you can see the two sets of rotors independantly speeding up and slowing down to counter act the twisting motion.This is to help to keep your heli flying in whatever direction you point it.

THE FIX: There is no fix You will need a new 5-in-1 board.

This is a long shot but worth trying Disconnect your 5-in-1 from your heli then throw it against the ground, cross your fingers, re-connect it to the heli then cross your toes too, plug in the battery, give the board a little kiss, then attempt to take off

THE REASONING: I really have no idea, but I suspect the heading hold thingy may be analog, meaning there may be a tiny little ball in a tiny little cage to tell the 5-in-1 what direction it is flying. Why do I think this???? 'Cause it sure as hell don't have GPS technology. So an educated guess would suggest that the tiny little ball in a tiny little cage is jammed and telling your heli to counter act twisting motion un-necessarily, and the shock of throwing it against the ground may dislodge it. A magnet may work too!

What have you got to loose??? you are gonna need a new 5-in-1 anyway
ROFLMAO A little duct tape and a hammer will fix anything I am having simular problems with mine, gonna sit down with the tx and play with the rudder settings a while (I have a magnet to try first too,lol ) Has anyone tried any of these "upgrades" to their mcx2 http://www.micro-flight.com/BLADE-MCX.htm I like the idea of the small scale heli thx
mackie is offline Find More Posts by mackie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:54 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
MIA was a big dealer with small heli's until people ran into a problem with the looooooong wait for their stuff. Mario lost momentum because of it and guys were staying away. Some of the stuff was a little hokey. Maybe things have changed. I was on another site today and saw Mario pushing new canopies for the Eflite MQX. He's got all kinds of stuff on there trying to drum up business.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Mar 12, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
MIA was a big dealer with small heli's until people ran into a problem with the looooooong wait for their stuff. Mario lost momentum because of it and guys were staying away. Some of the stuff was a little hokey. Maybe things have changed. I was on another site today and saw Mario pushing new canopies for the Eflite MQX. He's got all kinds of stuff on there trying to drum up business.
FWIW, I ordered an MD500E canopy kit (blue) for an MCX last month. It turned out that he had that canopy in stock and so I received it very quickly. I had enough spare MCX/MCX2 parts lying around that I figured I'd grab another MCX 5-in-1 and build a scale model to add to my fleet. Overall it was a very positive experience for me (my first scale kit build). The materials are very lightweight and so some care needs to be taken to make sure they hang properly from the helicopter but otherwise I'm quite satisfied with the project. I've bounced the helicopter off of the fiberglass skids quite a few times and they've held together very well.

The only issue that I had was that the canopy and skids added about 3 ounces to the overall weight of the mCX. To compensate, I had to put mCX2 motors into the helicopter but once I did that I found that it flies very well. In fact, ithe combination of the mCX 5-in-1 and mCX2 motors gives it so much juice, I think I'm going to have to re-do the throttle curve on my DX6i so that it's a little more uniform. I have to be careful not to let it bang the ceiling when I take off! I also need to use 25C batteries (I use Thunderpower) rather than the 14C stock E-Flite batteries. I also used a spare mCX2 swashplate, flybar, and blades.

I'd been considering posting a separate thread about my build experiences (with pix) but I figured that since I'm such a latecomer to this game, I figured people have all already seen this stuff.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
The only issue that I had was that the canopy and skids added about 3 ounces to the overall weight of the mCX. To compensate, I had to put mCX2 motors into the helicopter but once I did that I found that it flies very well. In fact, ithe combination of the mCX 5-in-1 and mCX2 motors gives it so much juice, I think I'm going to have to re-do the throttle curve on my DX6i so that it's a little more uniform.
You had more luck than me, when I connected my mCX 5-in-1 to my mCX2 mainframe and motors it fried the mCX 5-in-1. While it had heaps of power, it would spin out of control in 1 direction with every burst of throttle. But when it was hovering at any particular height it would fly fine. When I connected my mCX 5-in-1 back on to my S300 the same issue continued to persisted.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,718 Posts
I was worried about potentially frying something, too. So, I called Horizon Hobby and asked them about it before I did anything and they said it would be okay. I also discussed this mod with RGC user "Bill Glover" after I found this post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=12

(from the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538152)

where he described doing exactly the same thing with his MIA MD500E MCX conversion and having no troubles with his mCX2 motors being driven from an MCX 5-in-1. Before I committed to it, I PM'd him to ask him about it since it's been a few months since he did it and he said it's been working fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I was worried about potentially frying something, too. So, I called Horizon Hobby and asked them about it before I did anything and they said it would be okay. I also discussed this mod with RGC user "Bill Glover" after I found this post:

where he described doing exactly the same thing with his MIA MD500E MCX conversion and having no troubles with his mCX2 motors being driven from an MCX 5-in-1. Before I committed to it, I PM'd him to ask him about it since it's been a few months since he did it and he said it's been working fine.
I dont know what hapened with mine then I ended up salvaging the servos and throwing it out.

I then scored an mCX2 5-in-1 cheap from ebay, and added that to my S300
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Dec 2008
344 Posts
I just bought the MCX2 BNF and noticed that it came with the new 150mah battery. It's the same one as HH currently has on backorder. I was wondering if this nano-tech 160mah battery will fit in the MCX2 and if anyone has used it? The 150 is 6mm thick where the 160 is listed as being 8mm thick. The other diminsions appear to be the same.

BTW. I did notice that the new 150 comes with a sleeve spacer on it.

Bob

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...zone_Etc_.html
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
I just bought the MCX2 BNF and noticed that it came with the new 150mah battery. It's the same one as HH currently has on backorder. I was wondering if this nano-tech 160mah battery will fit in the MCX2 and if anyone has used it? The 150 is 6mm thick where the 160 is listed as being 8mm thick. The other diminsions appear to be the same.

BTW. I did notice that the new 150 comes with a sleeve spacer on it.

Bob

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...zone_Etc_.html
Yes, the nano tech 160mah's will fit. That is what I use.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
344 Posts
Thanks Z....now if they will just get some in stock.

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
The same battery is used on the Champ and other micro planes. They use Velcro to hold the battery in place. You attach Velcro to the sleeve and it works with the plane. You slip the battery out of the sleeve and it works on a lot of other things.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:02 PM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
just got one of these for the office... Quick question. Do the leds on the chopper give you some kind of indication when your battery is "low". Meaning, it's time to land and charge the battery.

Thanks!
NickBee is offline Find More Posts by NickBee
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
just got one of these for the office... Quick question. Do the leds on the chopper give you some kind of indication when your battery is "low". Meaning, it's time to land and charge the battery.

Thanks!
Nick,

the blue one on the main board does... but by the time it starts blinking you're already hitting LVC (low voltage cutoff) and coming down whether you want to or not

... as you are not new to RC, you probably already know this... but the general consensus is to not run the battery to LVC anyway... will degrade it over time. If you've done it already, and have noted how long your flight time was, use a timer from now on and cut that time short by about a minute or so... if the life of the battery mattery matters to you.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Nick,

the blue one on the main board does... but by the time it starts blinking you're already hitting LVC (low voltage cutoff) and coming down whether you want to or not

... as you are not new to RC, you probably already know this... but the general consensus is to not run the battery to LVC anyway... will degrade it over time. If you've done it already, and have noted how long your flight time was, use a timer from now on and cut that time short by about a minute or so... if the life of the battery mattery matters to you.

Perfect. What is the name of the type of connector these battery use. I can rig up my Lipo meter to check batt voltage based on time. Thanks!

Edit... Nevermind I found it on eBay.
NickBee is offline Find More Posts by NickBee
Last edited by NickBee; Mar 16, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:38 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
Perfect. What is the name of the type of connector these battery use. I can rig up my Lipo meter to check batt voltage based on time. Thanks!

Edit... Nevermind I found it on eBay.
Yeah, Ultra Micro.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,718 Posts
Hey, has anybody ever tried the "MIA Flybar Stability Tuning Kit" which consists of little red weights that you screw onto the ends of your flybar? It seems like a recipe for disaster with the potential for one of those to "slip" off and go blasting off like a little bullet...

http://www.micro-flight.com/BLADE-MCX.htm

Given that these were designed for the mcx, I wondered if anybody here had ever used them and could comment on them.
RCG Plus Member