HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2003, 03:01 PM
Mwahahahaha
UK, newbury
Joined Dec 2002
296 Posts
Help!
help please

i have an 0s 40 LA. i took it apart to clean it. before winter. i put it back together and after trying to start it i have placed the piston liner rotated the wrong way round!

unfortuanately the screw heads on the engine head have worn away!

what can i do!?

its really depressing because i havent been able to finish my training for my A due to this

thanks in advance!

PS: my aircraft is a ARC ready 2
Guinea_Pig is offline Find More Posts by Guinea_Pig
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2003, 05:17 PM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
You could give the importers Irvine a call or try Just Engines they might be able to provide spares.

However I'm sorry but I suspect they will both tell you that your best bet is to get another engine. I'd recommend a .46 for the Ready 2 anyway, it's fairly heavy as trainers go.

And this time don't mess with the engine. Why on earth did you want to take it apart, particularly without marking the parts so you could put them together properly ? Also I'm not clear what screw heads have to do with the liner being positioned incorrectly.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old May 29, 2003, 04:13 AM
Mwahahahaha
UK, newbury
Joined Dec 2002
296 Posts
noooo

i did mark the parts.

all i didn't do was put the piston liner in line with the exauhst properly! so some of it is covering it up.

the screws that i can't remove are the ones that hold the head onto the engine!
Old May 29, 2003, 07:04 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,574 Posts
Hmmm

Those screws can't just wear away- as they aren't moving parts- most likely you've used the wrong screwdriver and rounded off the crossheads, making them impossible to remove.

There are ways to get those screws out, but being perfectly honest unless you know what you are doing you are much more likely to damage the engine than make a successful job of extracting them.

The best advice anyone could give you, as you say that you are in training for your "A", is to ask your instructor if there is an experienced modeller in your club who could help you to get the head off and solve the problem. Believe me, a few years experience in solving this problem is worth more than all the gadgets that you can buy to do it yourself. If the heads are very severely mangled than you might have rendered the engine unsaveable, but this is one of those occasions where an experienced modeller who can take a look at it would be able to help a lot more than remote advice from on-line.

Good luck

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 29, 2003, 10:22 AM
Mwahahahaha
UK, newbury
Joined Dec 2002
296 Posts
yes you are correct about the screwdriver wearing away the screwsm however im almost certain that i used the right screwdriver, because this is the same one i used for removing the screws in the first place.

anyway i have removed one now and i did that by using a flat head screwdriver and kinda filing a new 'head' to the screw if that makes sense.

also if that does not work i will get a rotary cutter and cut the screws between the head and the crankcase and work from there

thanks all the same.

i can always get another engine

perhaps an mds 48

or os 46 LA

or an irvine 53 i think

thanks again! at least im learning from this!!
Old May 29, 2003, 06:37 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2003
133 Posts
It sounds like you are heading (no pun intended) in the right direction. Do NOT try to cut the screws between the head and crankcase. I don't know exactly how that engine is set up, but if what you're saying is what I'm thinking, don't try it.

A better way (as a last resort) is to grind the heads of the screws off... carefully... and then the head will pull off. There should be enough screw left to grab with a pair of vice grips. They will most likely turn by hand, though since without the head and if they haven't bottomed out, they won't be tight.

Mike
MHawker is offline Find More Posts by MHawker
Old May 30, 2003, 07:07 AM
Mwahahahaha
UK, newbury
Joined Dec 2002
296 Posts
Thanks very much!

i am doing just as you said. it is working, but is takin ages.

thanks!
Old May 30, 2003, 12:25 PM
Mwahahahaha
UK, newbury
Joined Dec 2002
296 Posts
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

i did it . got those screws out. two of them were reallt mangled by the tim i got them out. but the engine is okay!

now, one more thing. do i have to get the specific replacement head screws or can i just buy some from a hardware store or something?

thanks
Old May 30, 2003, 01:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2003
133 Posts
As long as you get the same thread and length, yadda...yadda...yadda, you can just go to the hardware store.

It would be worth a trip to the Hobby Store as they might have direct replacements which would save you some time.

Good job!

Mike
MHawker is offline Find More Posts by MHawker
Old May 30, 2003, 01:26 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,406 Posts
I would get replacements from the Hobby Store. If you strip the threads then you will be in really bad shape.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old May 30, 2003, 04:32 PM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
I would try to get cap-head (Allen-head) screws of the same length/thread etc. The use of an Allen key to undo them instead of a screwdriver means they don't get mangled in the same way.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin