HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:19 AM
MA - close to Boston
Joined Apr 2003
111 Posts
Basic RC Ornithopter "research"

Many moons ago i used to build and fly rubber and CO2 engine ornithopters. I did a lot of testing of alternative mechanisms for flapping and directional control. All of my designs were intended to be "bird like" - i.e. no biflappers, no fixed wings with flapper motors. Some of the last designs i worked on had "asynchronous flapping" - the downstroke provided more power than the upstroke and changed the shape of the wing in flight. now with these larger birds and microsized rc equipment it seems that some of these designs could be upscaled and applied to RC.

I am just curious if anyone here has been experimenting or knows of anyone who is. Obviously, just getting the thing to work is an amazing accomplishment! But now with devices like the Park and Slow Hawks it is all about manuverability, duration and soaring.

cheers,
michael
mhackney is offline Find More Posts by mhackney
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2003, 04:53 AM
PARIS
Joined Oct 2002
818 Posts
Photos ?

Hi Michael !
Have you photos of your machines?
Thank
Regards
R.korobelnik
KOROBELNIK is offline Find More Posts by KOROBELNIK
Old Apr 17, 2003, 07:22 AM
MA - close to Boston
Joined Apr 2003
111 Posts
re: photos

No, unfortunately i do not. I built these while i was in highschool thru graduate school. Started as a science fair project and it became an addiction! I have found bits and pieces of my design notebooks and my parents still have a large box of my "stuff" at their home in FL so maybe I'll find some more stuff.

One of my designs was a rubber powered 40cm wingspan that could take off from the ground! It had a rubber band powered plunger type device that would shoot itself about 30-40cm in to the air and simultaneously release the wing latch. It was pretty spectacular.

I am setting up my shop to start designing and building a new generation of ornithopters.

Thanks fo the reply.

Michael
mhackney is offline Find More Posts by mhackney
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Sir,
I want to design an ornithopter. Please help me and give some suggestions.
ram4a5 is offline Find More Posts by ram4a5
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:34 AM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
i want to learn from and to meet here this guy too !
Just afraid that the thread is too old .
seagull10 is offline Find More Posts by seagull10