SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2015, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,560 Posts
Wasork,

Yes, the factory recommended starting point for the CG is very close to being optimal. Of course, you should fine-tune it as needed to suit your flying conditions. (For instance, move it forward 1-2mm for better wind-penetration in gusty conditions. If you haven't done so already, check out my UMX CC handling checklist for tips on fine-tuning the plane for optimum handling & performance, proper use of flaps, flying off water, etc.

The GWS 5030 prop is the best for the plane if you want to stick with a 5" prop. However, the 5.75 x 2.5" UMX Pitts/Yak prop is by far the best match for the airframe. But it requires larger 'tundra tires' for adequate clearance unless you always fly from a pebble & debris-free hard-surface runway, always do 3-point takeoffs & landings, and always grease her in. E-flite L-4 Grasshopper wheels make excellent tundra tires for the CC, and are a direct fit to the axle.

BTW - you should come on over to the main CC thread. It is much more active than this one.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 21, 2015 at 08:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by wasork
Joined Dec 2014
218 Posts
Thanks, Turbo! Is that 5030 prop a direct fit or would some sort of adapter be needed?

Also, is the large 500mAh Babbel batt going to kill any performance by being too heavy? I asked Roger what the current favorite battery for the UMX CC was and that's what he recommended.
wasork is offline Find More Posts by wasork
Last edited by wasork; Jan 21, 2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:33 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,560 Posts
You're welcome!

The GWS prop is a direct fit, so no adapter is required. However, you'll most likely want to run without a spinner, as it can be difficult to get the balance right. I call it 'the naked prop-hub club'.

Be sure to dynamically balance the prop, as stab/aug systems such as AS3X are sensitive to vibrations. Spool it up in your hand, and feel the nose. If it feels smooth throughout the RPM range, you got lucky & ended up with a prop that doesn't need balancing. If you feel vibrations, add a small piece of clear tape to the back of one blade, then spool-up again. If the vibes are worse, move the tape to the other blade & recheck. Add or remove tape as necessary to minimize any vibration. It may take a number iterations to get there the first time - but once you get the hang of dynamic balancing, you'll usually be able to get there within a few iterations.

Roger is the expert on UMX packs. His Hyp VX 500 35c packs are excellent in the CC. The CC is one of the few planes that actually flies better with a bit of extra weight. Also, his Hyp 500s provide way, way more power than the saggy factory pack - so you end up with a higher thrust-to-weight, even though they weigh more than the factory pack. Plus, Hyp packs last for 300+ cycles before they start to fade, and they're rated for 5c charging with zero reduction in performance or lifespan. (In contrast, the factory packs usually start fade away after only 30 cycles or so - even when pampered.) I also suggest that you pick up a couple of his excellent TP 325 70c UMX packs. They provide the highest thrust-to-weight of any pack that will fit the plane. Plus, they last for up to 600 cycles before they start to fade, and they're designed for 12 charging with no reduction in performance or lifespan. I use his TP 325s for general flying & flying in tighter spots, and I use his Hyp 500s when the air is rough, or when I want to fly for 20+ minutes to the 80% discharge point.

BTW - let's move our discussion to the main CC thread. We're trying to let this one die off gracefully, so that people can find all of the info they need in one thread.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 21, 2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2014
218 Posts
Thanks again for all the info!

But, dammit... After I moved the elevator pushrod all the way up to the inner most hole, the pushrod was rubbing on the bottom of the elevator. I tried to bend it down and the pushrod snapped in two. I didn't realize they were carbon fiber behind the glue joint for the metal piece with the U bend. Oh well, parts already ordered. Maiden re-scheduled for next week. It's supposed to be a lot warmer (in the 50s) anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:03 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,560 Posts
That's a bummer. Check out my elevator pushrod mod. Might work for you, too.

Increasing elevator authority on the Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS (1 min 15 sec)

Joel
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:09 AM
Joined Dec 2014
218 Posts
Nice! I already cut it open and removed the old pushrod. At least that was very easy to do. I have a brand new UMX Habu S that I'm still in the honeymoon period with, so I have another great micro foamy to fly along with my UMX Beast 3D
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:37 PM
Joined Dec 2014
218 Posts
Finally maidened it today. Got two long 10 min flights on some 500mAh batteries. It flew okay. CG was good, but it was WAY out of trim despite me mechanically leveling all the surfaces. It needed a healthy bit of left rudder AND aileron trim since it wanted to roll to the right so badly. After trimming so it flew mostly straight, it was quite visually apparent that the rudder was indeed trimmed to the left and so were the ailerons, so it wasn't me not getting the control surfaces leveled out. I mechanically adjusted the controls again this evening so I could electronically center the trims. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Something must not be straight (motor thrust line?) on my CC since it's never been crashed and it needed so much trim.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 01:34 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,560 Posts
Congrats on the maiden! Sounds like your trimming troubles may be a wing twist issue. Have you carefully checked the wings for twist? If not, do so. See my CC handling checklist for details regarding adjusting the length of the wing struts.

Also, I suggest that you move your discussion & comments regarding the plane to the main CC thread - which has over 11,000 posts, vs. less than 900 for this thread. We're trying to let this one die gracefully, so that people can find all of the info in one spot.

Joel
Old Feb 01, 2015, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by Alexio
Netherlands, GE, Apeldoorn
Joined Jan 2015
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me were i can find the setup file for the UMX Carbon Cub SS in the Spektrum DX6 Transmitter?
Alexio is offline Find More Posts by Alexio
Old Apr 09, 2015, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by hele559
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined May 2013
38 Posts
Can someone post a pic of the flap assembly inside the wing? I know how it works and all but I need the parts for another model and just want to make sure that I have all the right pieces for the assembly,
thanks
hele559 is offline Find More Posts by hele559
Old Apr 09, 2015, 05:53 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,560 Posts
Guys, this thread is close to being dead. We're trying to let it die gracefully, because there's no point in having two active regular threads for one plane. Nearly everyone on RCG who flies the plane hangs out in the main CC thread. I suggest that you ask your questions over there: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585631

Joel
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by hele559
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined May 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Guys, this thread is close to being dead. We're trying to let it die gracefully, because there's no point in having two active regular threads for one plane. Nearly everyone on RCG who flies the plane hangs out in the main CC thread. I suggest that you ask your questions over there: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585631

Joel
Thanks for lettin us know
hele559 is offline Find More Posts by hele559