Joined Apr 2010
1,180 Posts
Mini-Review
Skyzone RD40 5.8gHz 40CH Diversity VRX

Skyzone RD40 Video Receiver
Courtesy Banggood.com, thanks guys!

For current pricing, (it changes often) and more information, please click here

Introduction:

The Skyzone RD40 looks pretty much identical to my other receiver of a different make. It seems as if they are all manufactured in the same factory. I have seen many that look similar or the same. The RD40 feels and looks like a quality built product. The RD40's internals are well protected, thanks to the thick metal housing.

Upon closer inspection, I believe the housing doubles as a heatsink, cooling the two RX's, inside.

A package came for me in the mail!! Normally, items shipped through Air Parcel from China, arrive in about a weeks time, for me. I was very excited about this one. With my current receiver, I have been having issues with interference when flying behind objects, especially trees. I was informed through a little research, as well as other users that diversity was the way to go.

The RD40 uses 5 bands with 8 channels comprising each band.

Package Contents:
  • 1 x Receiver
  • 1 x AV Cable
  • 1 x Power Cable
  • 2 x Antenna

Definitely need to upgrade these rubber duckies

Typical video receiver metal casing, I swear they all look the same!

Metal housing weighs ~58grams

Inside the metal housing

The RD40 has a button to change channels, and one to change bands. Current frequency is clearly shown via the LED display.

Frequency/Channel Chart

Receivers are mounted one per side

Looks like who ever soldered this one, was in a hurry

The entire board weights around 28 grams

Maiden Flight:

The sun was out and burning the crap out of me today, but
I was finally able to get out to test this receiver. My flight was cut short but I was able to get a little footage, Ill try to upload it asap.

I used: -Skyzone RD40 VRX (dual rubber duckies) - Eachine ET600R VTX Using the (Tarot Clover antenna)

I plug the RD40 in, and my initial reactions are positive. The picture is clear and actually quite vibrant.

I take off, and within 20 feet, I get a blip of static, the kind where it flashes the entire screen for a fraction of a second. Moving forward, initial tests for the RD40 using the included antennae was mediocre. I didn't fly too far... the furthest I flew was approximately 423 feet.

I didn't fly too far, I accidentally chopped off one of my RX's antennae, Ill try to fly a bit further tomorrow.

>Video here< will add asap

With the RD40, Flying behind objects, especially when using the rubber duck antennae, resulted in a lot of static.

PROS:]
*Durable
*Easy to use
*40 Channels w/ Raceband

CONS:
*Rubber Duck linear antennae
*Hasty soldering
  • Static
  • Low range - I wasn't confident enough to fly very far, due to the static
  • Picture quality suffers when objects are in the way- Objects like big trees will cause temporary loss of picture for a fraction of a second.

Final Thoughts:

The handful of flights with the RD40, have been mediocre at best. With picture quality issues and low range, I'm beginning to think this may be a dud. I don't know if it is defective, or if it's just a bad product, but I plan to test it a few more times using different channels.
Danq0 is offline Find More Posts by Danq0
Last edited by Danq0; Apr 04, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2016, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by Danq0
youtube.com/danknee
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2010
1,180 Posts
Videos
  • test flight 1

Skyzone RD40 VRX - TESTING -Courtesy Banggood.com (1 min 40 sec)

Skyzone RD40 5.8gHz 40CH Diversity VRX- Maiden Flight Courtesy Banggood.com (2 min 29 sec)
Last edited by Danq0; Mar 27, 2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2016, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by Danq0
youtube.com/danknee
Joined Apr 2010
1,180 Posts
Had some free time yesterday and decided to use the RD40. I'm not sure what I did differently than from the other times, but it worked surprisingly well.

Anyone else using this receiver?
Old May 08, 2016, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by skyparte
Joined Jun 2013
2 Posts
RD40 static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danq0 View Post
Had some free time yesterday and decided to use the RD40. I'm not sure what I did differently than from the other times, but it worked surprisingly well.

Anyone else using this receiver?
Yes, I use one RD40.

The first 3 uses worked very well.

Then he began to do static and sigal losses for 1 to 2 seconds,
skyparte is offline Find More Posts by skyparte
Old May 12, 2016, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by Danq0
youtube.com/danknee
Joined Apr 2010
1,180 Posts
I went back to using my cheapo er32 RX, it seems to work better than this crap
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by symowallo
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
692 Posts
I'm about to replace mine. Not impressed. Poor signal quality, drop outs etc. I've ordered an RC840 and will live without diversity for the time being. Maybe when the Quanums come back into stock I'll try their diversity receiver.
symowallo is offline Find More Posts by symowallo