Find More Posts by 9XTremist
San Bernacesspool
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
Discussion
Thoughts on this Lipo Warranty

Warranty Period
Exclusive Warranty- "Name of Company" warranties that the batteries purchased will be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the date of purchase by the Purchaser.

Not 30 days, not 10 days, not even 5 days BUT only on the date of purchase are they guaranteed to be free from defects in m and w. Period.

Any thoughts like "get a job", "yo mama" or even sarcastic remarks/thoughts?
9XTremist is offline Find More Posts by 9XTremist
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2016, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by krc59diesel
use mike while supplies last
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2013
458 Posts
sounds like they guarantee that it will work when you receive it and not a minute later.

kind of like a used car warranty: if you drive off the lot and it breaks in half, you own both halves!
krc59diesel is offline Find More Posts by krc59diesel
Old Jan 13, 2016, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,853 Posts
I've never found warranties to be much use anyway. Usually it's more hassle to send it back than it is to either fix it myself or eat the cost depending what it is.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jan 14, 2016, 03:52 AM
San Bernacesspool
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
"Swelling/Puffing is not considered as a defect and isn't part of our warranty . Typically this is due to improper use or misuse. We make sure to offer packs that have been tested and are known to be reliable and have a high cycle life when treated properly. It also says they do not inspect or repair batteries so do not send them any batteries, whether they replace them or not is at their sole discretion. Oh, and the warranty is only good to the original purchaser. Why, if it's only good on the date of purchase? I failed to mention they offer a crash warranty that says they will allow you to replace it for 30% off the regular sale price for up to one year.
While I'm no fanboy of any specific brand of battery, Hyperion for the same price at least will inspect a puffed or swollen pack and claims to be able to tell what caused it to swell. AFAIK, Hyperion has stopped it's crash warranty. They do offer a 1 year guarantee against defects (as do some other companies) so if the company doesn't believe in them over 1 day how can I?

SMC warranty page - http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...formation_id=8
Old Jan 14, 2016, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
1,660 Posts
I've heard a lot of good about these packs that's for sure. I plan to try some and am actually surprised that some companies do offer warranties being you really never know what some do to the packs to cause the damage. With that said, my issue here is I don't ever get around to checking out packs the day they arrive other than a first glance at most so for me this could suck. guess ya best be ready to do your homework when these arrive. I will say they seem to have a fairly good rep for great packs.
Jaketheone46 is online now Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Jan 14, 2016, 02:53 PM
San Bernacesspool
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
I don't try mine the day I get them either. Although I've heard good things none have been long term results nor any results with any kind of consistent or universal test parameters.
The idea that they don't inspect packs seems narrowminded in that they don't consider swelling or puffing a defect because their packs don't swell. How would you know if you don't inspect them. It's absurd and reminds me of a one sided conversation with a narrow minded wall. Not one battery company has a 100% perfect record except SMC, because they say so.
Oh well.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by AntiArf
Joined Feb 2013
2,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
I've never found warranties to be much use anyway. Usually it's more hassle to send it back than it is to either fix it myself or eat the cost depending what it is.
Exactly, especially with lower dollar hobby stuff. What I've seen is that the bigger names that actually do honor warranties, are known for selling products that are actually inferior to the average HK product, while being much higher priced. It would stand that they need to offer warranties. I'll go with whoever offers the best combination of quality versus price, and deal with the small amount of losses here and there. Actually haven't had many, other than of course with batteries.

BTW I love the "blame it on the customer" part of the warranty, where if their packs swell it's your fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9XTremist View Post
"Swelling/Puffing is not considered as a defect and isn't part of our warranty . Typically this is due to improper use or misuse.
Well I'm gonna have to call them on that. If most battery brands could even come close to their C rating, it would be doubtful that they would be overworked to the point of swelling. In fact, a person likely would never even be able to draw current at a level beyond their C rating, if they were reasonably responsible with sizing for their app. This company seems to think they are selling gold at these prices, so they can stand behind it.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:02 AM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9XTremist View Post
I don't try mine the day I get them either. Although I've heard good things none have been long term results nor any results with any kind of consistent or universal test parameters.
The idea that they don't inspect packs seems narrowminded in that they don't consider swelling or puffing a defect because their packs don't swell. How would you know if you don't inspect them. It's absurd and reminds me of a one sided conversation with a narrow minded wall. Not one battery company has a 100% perfect record except SMC, because they say so.
Oh well.
I would have to say if you did receive a pack from them and it was puffed it would be replaced. There is no way I would accept a swollen pack. It would be back in their possession in no time regardless of if I got my money back or not. I truely don't think this would be the case with smc. They do seem to have a pretty good rep and any warrantee is only as good as the man who writes it anyway. I think they would rather deal with the issues as they come as opposed to having a written warranty which does get abused. You almost can't give a decent warranty on a Lipo because you have no idea who's buying the darn thing. I've learned selling on eBay that no one reads any directions. I can't say no one actually being I know I do. But my point is there's so many people buying lipos and treating them as they would their NIMH pack then wanting the pack covered after they ran the darn thing dead then, and only then they finally research and figure out exactly what they did wrong and blame it on the seller wanting it replaced claiming the pack lost its capacity after its first use. Trust me it's the same story everytime. I have had several cases myself with new packs I sold almost a year ago with the guy claiming he finally got a chance to use it and it goes dead within a minute. In each of those type cases I asked if they could ship me the pack so I could look at it and I never heard from them again. Obviously the pack would have looked used making their whole story invalid. I can see this to be a reason a company trying to sell a quality pack would warrantee them on a individual basis. I'd be willing to bet if smc sold a pack to a known user on this forum with a reputation for knowing how to treat a Lipo there would never be any warranty issues.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:13 PM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf View Post
Exactly, especially with lower dollar hobby stuff. What I've seen is that the bigger names that actually do honor warranties, are known for selling products that are actually inferior to the average HK product, while being much higher priced. It would stand that they need to offer warranties. I'll go with whoever offers the best combination of quality versus price, and deal with the small amount of losses here and there. Actually haven't had many, other than of course with batteries.

BTW I love the "blame it on the customer" part of the warranty, where if their packs swell it's your fault.
Well I'm gonna have to call them on that. If most battery brands could even come close to their C rating, it would be doubtful that they would be overworked to the point of swelling. In fact, a person likely would never even be able to draw current at a level beyond their C rating, if they were reasonably responsible with sizing for their app. This company seems to think they are selling gold at these prices, so they can stand behind it.
It's not that I'm out to defend smc with there warranty but that I've recently read a few intresting things about smc. They do put actual c ratings on there packs.
Right now there is a 1300mah 3s Lipo thread going right here on the forum and I found it really cool that smc has put a true c rating on the packs in the test. So not sure about every pack they sell but there 1300mah 3s packs are true rated. Actually I'm so amazed at this I'm wondering if I read it right. Lol
Old Jan 21, 2016, 05:24 PM
San Bernacesspool
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
Hyperion and a few others claim they can tell between an over-discharged, an overcharged and discharged at a higher than listed rate. Hyperion doesn't have a crash warranty anymore but do have a one year, IIRC. I will prob get 1 or 2 smc 1300 3s cause I don't want to miss something like a warranty good only on the day you receive it.