Old Jan 01, 2014, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by bosley
United States, SC, Beaufort County
Joined Jun 2002
1,215 Posts
Contest
Scale Build Off 3: 30" Stick and Tissue FW-190

Gents,

This is a design that I have been drawing on very sporadically (in Rhino) for the last few years with the majority of it being worked through over the last 8 months while I was deployed to Japan.

I began cutting the wing ribs and spars about 2 days before the contest idea popped up so decided to throw my hat in the ring since I was building this anyway.

I failed to take any pictures of the wing build, but it is nearly identical in structure to the wings of the P-40 and Zero that I have designed in this format.

Parts to this point have been hand cut as the fuzzy edges and glued on paper bits can attest!!! I will eventually lay out some cutsheets and send them off to Charlie and Vicki at Manzano to cut parts to verify fit and finish. No point right now in lasering prototype parts as it only took me a few hours in front of the scroll saw and disk sander to get where we are. Hours of therapy if you ask me.

I will try harder to get pictures of the build and screenshots of the design, these threads are nowhere near as much fun without pictures.
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Last edited by bosley; Jan 03, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2014, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,827 Posts
I'll be following this one!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 02, 2014, 01:35 AM
Find More Posts by Longhorne
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,587 Posts
Heya, Bosley

Me too! Glad to see this one finally making it into the light if day

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Jan 02, 2014, 02:31 AM
Find More Posts by Bart83
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
2,832 Posts
Nice subject , would like to see your rhino work very much.

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by LenBFP
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,912 Posts
I'll be watching.... always watching.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by verticalspark
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,444 Posts
Ill be following this very closely! its been a long time since I have seen a tissue build and I always like them.
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:53 AM
Joined Jun 2002
1,215 Posts
This morning's installment

Well fellas it is good to see some of the regulars sign on and it is also good to see some folks that haven't yet watched me fumble my way through this process.

While this will be in stick and tissue style I will avoid the tissue in favor of doculam but will use more than my fair share of sticks!

Bart I have followed the last two of your models developing and can say without a doubt that your Rhino skills are far above where I will ever be. I will show some of what I have used to get me where I am, but I can't bring myself to read the manual without being bored to tears...

I will try to point out any warts that pop up during the assembly of the model. These happen more frequently when there is a large time gap between when the model is drawn and balsa starts getting cut. Not knowing where I left off and why things were drawn the way they were results with misaligned notches and forgotten pieces... All of which I apply a band-aid on the prototype (to avoid cutting more pieces) and adjust the digital files to reflect the necessary fix.

Bosley
Old Jan 03, 2014, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,827 Posts
Great progress!

I suppose I count as one of the new folks - I'm here to learn and get ideas from you more experienced chaps!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 03, 2014, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by raipe
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
813 Posts
Tagged in.

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by Steve85
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
3,476 Posts
Hey Bosley,

Thanks for that photo sequence; as a beginner CADer myself, I'm very interested in learning what I can. I haven't yet cut any parts for my design, but am sure many won't fit and I'll be confused over why. Where do you think the "booger" of the mis-aligned former notch in the keel came from? Was the keel mis-cut, was the CAD off, or was it just one of those forehead-slapping moments I seem to have all too often while CADing? I know I haven't caught all my boogers...

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jan 03, 2014, 06:47 PM
Joined Jun 2002
1,215 Posts
It is all me...

This is something that creeps up on me from time to time. Mostly because I leave an unfinished drawing and come back to it months/years later with no idea of where I left off.

I also don't build out polysurfaces or solids when drawing this stuff. It does look cool on the screen and would probably help catch some of these blunders but I prefer to avoid having to extract surfaces from a solid when it time to put the cutfile together.

Jeff
Old Jan 03, 2014, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by Steve85
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
3,476 Posts
Ah yes, (slaps own forehead). I'm designing strictly in 2D using CorelDraw and I just know that changes I've made in the top view, say, won't all have made it to the side view. Oh well, I guess that's why we need to prototype...

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
So glad to see the Bosley Aeroworks churning along again!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Jan 04, 2014, 09:19 AM
Joined Jun 2002
1,215 Posts
Steve,

I am sure that I won't catch all of them even in the first build. I try to make a list of things taht need to be corrected but that doesn't always happen when the sticks and glue start flying!

Dan,

It does feel good to be back in the garage building a model that I have thought about for so long.

These threads tend to provide some motivation to push on through the less pleasant portions of a design/build.

Jeff
Old Jan 04, 2014, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by PeterH
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
986 Posts
Signed up

Watch and learn...
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH