New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
14,036 Posts
My Spitfire flies around scale very nicely.... 4S and 1.7Kg AUW.
I am pretty sure I have it balanced at the stock position, but I have not checked in YEARS! LOL. Seeing it flies fine anyway.

But one thing it has always done since day one, even when it was much lighter and more stock, was when you do a large loop it will 'not be able' to come over the top unless you are still flying quite fast there. If it slows down too much it will drop the tail - inverted then - and be impossible to complete the top arc even at full up elevator.

To me that seems it would indicate it really is too tail heavy, so that when airspeed drops too low the reduced elevator authority is not enough anymore, thus it cannot pitch the plane 'upwards' anymore.

If you were to find this out when upright - again flying very slow for whatever reason - you would find it then flares upwards and no amount of DOWN elevator will be able to reduce or stop that. Due to the lack of elevator authority at that lower speed, which then cannot defeat the tail heavier state.

Most of my other aircraft can complete a 'too slow' loop - too slow at the top, but they still can fly the rest of the arc anyway.
So I am not sure of the CofG is not truly right/optimal, or it is just a 'Spitfire quirk'.

Once up there and 'stuck' inverted and unable to complete the arc, it virtually flies along at 30deg inverted while you have full up elevator still! Not quite sustained indefinitely, but it 'likes' that balance point. You have to roll out of it - which it can still do, plus wants to tip stall anyway.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
to remove ads between posts