New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by shschon
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,415 Posts
New Product
Want RTF VTOL? Buy it at your local Target Walmart toy store!

http://www.airhogs.com/site/product/fury-jump-jet

Saw on shelves at Target, Walmart, ...etc. Anyone tried it yet?
Air Hogs Fury Jump Jet Full Review, RC Plane and Helicopter Combo (7 min 33 sec)
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2015, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by RCvertt
Joined Aug 2007
4,740 Posts
Saw that recently as well. Good to see it's still being sold. Don't have one but I'd like to get one. I've seen technology that could potentially let us fly something this size for 1 hour straight! Times is a changing.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
Old Nov 02, 2015, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
I use foam to hold my hotglue
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
15,337 Posts
Just bought one and waiting for the wind to go down to give'er a whirl outside.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 03, 2015, 05:43 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,740 Posts
Don't forget your video camera
Old Nov 03, 2015, 07:25 AM
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
15,337 Posts
Just had 'er outside and it flew unexpectedly well. More power than it needs for vertical, in other words , it hovers at about 2/3 throttle. In vertical flight, it has little flaps on the wings for yaw control. Forward speed is about 10 or 15 mph., which is good for indoor flying in a gym.
Doesn't turn tight enough for inside my house, although i will try it more outside with more throttle management, to see if I can get it to turn tighter. Have to get used to finding the switches without looking down at the trans. It is on 4.2 frequency.
Up here it was 65 bucks at Walmart, but still good bang for the buck
Afraid I don't have a camera,
Gord..
Old Nov 03, 2015, 01:56 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,740 Posts
Sounds like a fun little flyer. No worries on the camera. Good report.

To get it to turn tighter I wonder if you can cut more flap area off the wing and tape it to the flap? Maybe quarter of an inch?
Old Nov 03, 2015, 05:54 PM
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
15,337 Posts
Flew her again today in a couple of mile an hr wind with no problems in forward flight. As you would expect, in the vertical it just drifts with the wind, although you can control the yaw direction with the stick moving the little flaps.
I found if you slow down the throttle, the forward speed slow down and it will turn tighter.
I think it will be a good indoor flier. next session is Nov. 8 I'll let you know how it works out.

Gord.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by theimacman
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
3,713 Posts
Here is my review:

Air Hogs - Fury Jump Jet (VTOL) - Review and Flight (10 min 9 sec)
theimacman is online now Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Nov 13, 2015, 01:44 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
Here is my review...
Nice review. It appears to handle well for what it is. I wouldn't expect it to handle any wind so it did better in forward flight than I thought it might. Looked like the yaw control surfaces on the wings only move one direction. I'm a little surprised to see that. Maybe to help it survive crashes better. Only thing I would have liked to see in the video was how it actually responds to TX commands up close. You moved it by hand which was good to see but I'm wondering if it's a quick transition or if it's slowed at all. Also wondering if the wing surfaces are proportional or if they just snap open and closed. Good info in your vid. Thanks for posting it.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Ed Couch
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,951 Posts
Made a number of flights on the little vehicle and it does not fly to bad for what it is. It took me a minute to figure out the spoiler controls on the wing and they only work in hover. The opposite spoiler deploys when you wish to yaw the vehicle while in hover. Yaw left, right spoiler deploys, Yaw right, the left spoiler deploys etc. Normal flight is by motor speed increase/decrease as Air Hog has used in past. I did have to pull the spring on the dead man throttle set up, just does not work for me. Also added a once inch section of plastic tubing over the two sticks as the stubs on the controls were just to small. This worked out quite well and took only a minute to do. All in all not a bad toy, I have a 1500 dollar VTOL in the shop that does not get the same flight time as this rig. Also blocked the wings from going pure vertical so that the vehicle moves slowly forward while in hover. A couple toothpicks glued into the holes already in the fuselage blocked the wings from full vertical position. No mod took over a couple minutes to complete. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Last edited by Ed Couch; Nov 14, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 05:51 PM
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
15,337 Posts
Funny, one of the first things I did too, was unhook the throttle spring. I'll try the toothpick bit too.
I also put a nimh batt in the trans.
Gord.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by Louierc
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
649 Posts
Mine is on order.

What size is the LiPO? Has anyone looking into making the battery replaceable - remove the factory pack and add a UMX connector?
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Nov 19, 2015, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by Ed Couch
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,951 Posts
For the cost I doubt if fast swap on batteries would be worth it. I went to gym this morning and flew a little rubber plus put eight flights on the VTOL and noticed a couple anomalies and the biggest was trying to land vertically. You need to be moving slightly forward while landing as you fall through your prop wash and it gets a little wild in its handling. Approach to land with a little forward motion and things work well. I believe also a little weight on the nose will help also. I stopped the wings from going pure vertical and this made a big difference but a little more would not hurt. Normal flight was fine with a little Dutch roll showing itself. Don't blip/bump the stick to turn but hold the stick over and go smoothly back to center. Trims must be set at each flight as they don't seem to hold once the switch is off. I was able to do figure 8's in the gym but noticed that towards the end of the battery the maneuvers were getting bigger even with stick full over.

Is it worth it, yeah its fun just sloppy with no real precision. Remember this is a toy and it is fun to play with. Finally replaced the batteries in the transmitter after charging getting a little long. Got about 25 flights on that set so its not too bad. As stated in an earlier post the two mods are worth their weight in gold and make it a whole lot easier to fly. Have fun I know I did today. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Nov 20, 2015, 04:27 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
649 Posts
Got mine today, I'll look into the mods this weekend. I plan to see if the LiPO can be on a plug. I have heard that it takes 45 minutes to charge, which does not make for many flights in one session. It is a 1S140 according to the paperwork. An interchangeable 160 would be the trick.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 01:36 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
649 Posts
OK, I was able to split the fuse and get the 140 mAh battery out. It weighs 4.5 gms. A TP 160 mAh weighs a little over 4 gms. Cutting the fuse like below might make it possible to avoid splitting the fuse to get to the battery.

This is a little tedious. If you remove the two forward most screws on the top near the cockpit and two below the cockpit, the nose will slide off. You can see the battery. I did split the front end to get it out and it is hardwired. Use a #00 Phillips to get the tiny screws out. I cut the internal battery wires and added a UMX battery connector.

I decided to make the new UMX pack internal. Tape the joint on the fuse on top to keep it together, it is pretty flimsy. From the bottom, use a soldering iron to cut out the front face and bottom of the bulkhead to make a slot for the battery. The plastic is very soft and you can finish up with scissors. Now the nose just slides off to change the battery. Just need a way to secure it on - Velcro or a magnet or tape. Tape on one side works for now.

I can't tell if moving the battery forward has affected the hover, mine wants to fly forward from the hover.

Anyone else making mods ?