Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by brandontw
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Discussion
Review: V911 CNC metal upgrade set (ebay seller forcehobby)

I paid 11$ shipped for these upgrade swash plates, rotor head/shaft, guide , and collar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251056121158...84.m1439.l2649

The kit arrived in reasonable time, 12 days from purchase to arrival.

Here is a pic installed on the copter:

INSTALL:

I didn't use the swash guide piece, because the original plastic piece was glued on, and this experiment wasn't worth prying off an possibly damaging it.

No instructions were included, but anybody with a micro screwdriver, some common sense, patience, and a half hour can do the change over...

The rest of the pieces went together surprisingly well. The fit and finish is stellar for the price.

The only real problem I had was at the very top of the rotor head, where the screw goes that holds the flybar in place. The screws included with the kit were too big, and the screw used on the stock copter was too small to tighten properly. I ended up using the stock screw anyway, its good enough, i just have to keep an eye on it an push it back in when in gets loose, which doesn't appear to be very often.

I read somewhere else that the brass balls on these kits are too big for the plastic links, and cause binding, and that you have to sand them down to get them to work. I didn't sand mine. They were a bit tight, but it doesn't appear to be causing functionality issues at all.

PERFORMANCE:

I pretty much just got it all put together, crossed my fingers and went for it. I started it on the counter, and it spun wildly and crashed into the kitchen sink. At this point I thought it was a complete loss, and that the parts didn't work at all. After some more tinkering, and setting the aileron trim almost all the way to the left, and the elevator trim forward a couple notches, the helicopter lifted off!

It was struggling to keep airborne at this point, and I thought the weight of the new parts were taking their toll... but it was just time for a new battery.

After a battery change and all trim adjustments, the bird lifted off fine, and flew fairly well.

Its not as fast as it was before, forward flight seems to be affected more than anything else. Its "heavier" in the air, and feels a bit sluggish on the throttle, but overall, its still very flyable.

BOTTOM LINE:

This is not a performance upgrade, its strictly for looks, and will make your copter perform worse than before.

How much worse? Honestly... this is my first helicopter, i'm no expert, I think i get slightly less fly time, less lift, and slower forward flight, with responsiveness being similar to stock.

If you have just got to have the bling, and you like tinkering, go for it. It may have even been worth the 11$ to me. But it wont make your V911 a lean, mean flying machine.

Anyway, this is all pretty much not new news, but I figured i'd throw my experience out there for anybody else wanting to give these parts a try. Make sure you don't pay much more that 11$ for them. there are kits on ebay for 40$ that look exactly the same.
brandontw is offline Find More Posts by brandontw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by ckangaroo70
Central Illinois
Joined Aug 2003
78 Posts
You wrote that as if I had written it myself. My experience with the CNC upgrade on the V911 was pretty much the same. Looks fantastic on there, but the heli feels heavy in the air and pretty much turns a fantastic flying heli into a minature flying brick. Mine was flyable, but I really consider it a downgrade in performance and NOT an upgrade. I ended up taking mine back off and returning it to stock. I considered leaving it on there since I have three other V911's, but when I flew one of my stock V911's and then flew the one with the metal upgrades....I realized that I HAD to change it back.
ckangaroo70 is offline Find More Posts by ckangaroo70
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
I always thought these were intended for helis with upgraded motors?
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by hogan
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
I was going to do the same thing with my v911, when and if I ever get the thing! Put an offer in and glad they rejected it. I thought that if you put the SP or Bravo motor in it would be ok, but nonetheless, I will not be upgrading that bling.
hogan is offline Find More Posts by hogan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by ckangaroo70
Central Illinois
Joined Aug 2003
78 Posts
Its not so much an issue of power even though the little heli does feel sluggish with the added weight, but even with a more powerful motor the V911 is still not going to fly light on its toes with the CNC head or have the great flying characteristics that made it very popular. I really wanted it to work out because like I said...it does look fantastic on there, but if you have several V911's like I do it really becomes obvious how bad it flys with the CNC head when I would fly one of my other V911's that are stock. I really could find no upside to the upgrade aside from cosmetics and in fact..like I said in my last post, I found it to be more of a downgrade.
ckangaroo70 is offline Find More Posts by ckangaroo70
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
The way I've seen, not so much on the v911's, is that people upgrade to better brushless motors which in turn require upgrading to heavier and stronger parts to keep it stable.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by Greg Head
Joined Aug 2012
549 Posts
I got this just to replace a broken swash and the brass balls kept coming off. I loctited and all is well, at least I guess it is as this bird nested in a tree , but just a heads up. BTW the aluminum swash got rid of a lot of my tbe. It was my sons heli so it had been beat up so might have just been the old swash was out of whack before it broke but the new one really stabilized it.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:56 AM
Find More Posts by odyseuss
Random Walker
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
I also upgraded my V911 with CNC parts recently, but only partially. I put the upper
part of the aluminum swashplate on the lower part of the stock one. This saves a lot
of weight. The advantage of the aluminum swashplate is its "fisheye" which is absent
on the stock swashplate. My experience is that the plastic swashplate often applies
unnecessary friction to the main shaft. With the "fisheye" part, the upgrade improves
greatly my V911's performance, keeping the extra weight at the minimal level.

Left: upper part of the stock swashplate. Right: CNC swashplate, notice the white "fisheye".

Partial upgrade.
odyseuss is offline Find More Posts by odyseuss
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:05 AM
Find More Posts by scousethief
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,492 Posts
Better off buying the plastic fish eye swash and the Helios 100 fly bar, it makes the v911 much sharper and more responsive.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:46 AM
Find More Posts by big bird
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,560 Posts
people fly all composite (plastic) size 50 nitro heli's - if it's possible at that scale to successfully avoid the extra weight of metal, why in the name of goodness would you need it on a micro

its all about disc loading .. plastic is both plenty strong and more resistant to bends than alloy. More importantly its considerably lighter - and in micros that is key

the only place you need alloy is to replace plastic that may fail due to being subjected to extreme loads - micros simply don't have the absolute or rotating mass for loads to even approach anything that could be described as "extreme"
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by Cannafish
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
people fly all composite (plastic) size 50 nitro heli's - if it's possible at that scale to successfully avoid the extra weight of metal, why in the name of goodness would you need it on a micro

its all about disc loading .. plastic is both plenty strong and more resistant to bends than alloy. More importantly its considerably lighter - and in micros that is key

the only place you need alloy is to replace plastic that may fail due to being subjected to extreme loads - micros simply don't have the absolute or rotating mass for loads to even approach anything that could be described as "extreme"
I dunno, there's some pretty extreme swearing goes on with me and my micro
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by lalelilo
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
I've installed a full set because I didn't like the looks of my swashplate (angle between the top and bottom parts). I didn't notice worst performance. However the two golden bars are just screwed on the rotor head and I've lost one of them. Those bars need to be loctified if you intend to use the rotor head.
lalelilo is offline Find More Posts by lalelilo
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by brandontw
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Well, i have since removed all the metal parts after a crash that dislodged the rotor head from the shaft. Ic could have been put back together, but i decided to just switch back.

I may actually try using the top part of the metal swash, and the bottom part of the stock one, that seems like a good idea.
brandontw is offline Find More Posts by brandontw
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by Whitehouse
Joined Jan 2015
80 Posts
I would totaly skip the metal swash plate mod all together, it made my heli very slugish.

One mod i would recomend is the carbon fiber main shaft. It is lighter than the stock one.
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V911-...5346232014041X
Whitehouse is offline Find More Posts by Whitehouse
Old Dec 29, 2015, 03:12 AM
Find More Posts by dessert1st
Joined Aug 2007
1 Posts
I did this mod just recently. It is a nice looking upgrade, but I was disappointed that the v911 didn't fly right after installing it. I found two issues:

1. The brass ball ends on the swash are two big for the plastic links, causing a serious binding problem. This results in the swash not rotating properly, which inhibits forward and rightward flying.

2. The pin that pushes through the rotor head (to hold the blades) is undersized. This causes blade slop (tilt) in the rotor head interface. So whenever the swash tries to change blade pitch, that slop negates it and causes the heli to either lack response, or over-respond (in the other direction).

This kit is obviously thrown together but someone who doesn't do any flight engineering.

It is a nice kit nonetheless (unbeatable for the price of $4, shipped) and worthy of some tinkering. I think getting rid of the blade slop and lower linkage binding may fix the flying problems. I think it's true that the added weight will reduce responsiveness a tad, but not by much. You have to factor the weight gain over the full up weight. So if it's 2g more, it's only going to be 2/35, which is approx. 6%, not a huge deal. I think the flying problems, once remedied should allow it to fly better than stock.

I'll post an update after doing some tinkering. I will also try a CF upgrade for the flybar since the stock flybar is very flexible. While that's good for crash resistance, it trades off precision and responsiveness.

I think the aluminum shaft that comes with the kit is very light, and offsets the weight of the cnc parts. I have two helis (one modified) and weighed them side to side to compare. My scale (which only has resolution to 5g) could not tell the difference, both weighed 30g (w/o battery).
dessert1st is offline Find More Posts by dessert1st
Last edited by dessert1st; Dec 29, 2015 at 03:28 AM.