#10 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 08, 2016, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by alpea 41
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
I stopped in to Pegasis this afternoon Horizon Hobby has been busy . There were 2 new Park Zone U Ms a cute little P 47 and a 3 Der that kinda resembled a Sbak I think it was a scale model of a Red Bull racer. Then there were at least a half dozen other new Horizon Hobby offerings I saw.
Pegasis now has twice as many quads or if you prefer "drones". Especially the inexpensive U Ms they are so numerous the counter has become a display shelf.
Pegasis also had a whole roller panel with a display of balsa kits that had there name on them. Probably a dozen different models in plastic bags. The piecies looked die cut and the bags were about 2 ft long. I didnt find out if they were rubber powered free flight or E rc minis. But there was a lot of them.
I got a replacement 2.3 g. servo for my UM Mig 15. I had bought 2 new batteries at AMA Expo only to find a bad servo. If you have a UM Park Zone plane that needs a servo make sure you take in your bad one cuz they make about 6 different styles.
I got an old favorite ready to fly again . A 50 mm edf Screamer . But I modded it for a 55 mm gws fan that I E Bob had given me.
The little F 14 Im going to mod into a sloper as an experiment towards making a large one for the PSS scale slope non event on Memorial Day week end.
The Shumate F14 seems like a good scale sloper cuz you can extend the wings for landing and sweep them for high speed lower drag passess. Also the CG moves forward when you sweep the wings back which would be a plus for faster passess.
Ive never seen a F14 slope glider but my imagination says DO IT. The Tomcat is such a cool looking plane even if the whole project goes to kah kah it will be fun.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:38 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
The replacing the servo went well and I flew 2 new batteries thru it late this afternoon. It had pretty good power with the new Thunder Power 25 c 2s 250 ma Lite batteries.
Next up is the 75% Shumate F 14 James never finished. Im going to go for powering it as the park jet it was designed as . I can then dial it all in and next time the wind makes sloping possible I can go for launch with a flight proven air frame. Then experiment it's gliding potential with a motor as a recovery method. Im using the smaller size pool noodle as the rear half of the nacels. These are a little larger than the 50 mm fan and could be hot wired as a duct to accommodate same
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:45 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
The pool noodle nacels on the Tomcat could have 50mm fans inside but she'll be a pusher this time around. Im thinking using the little motor Pat used to recomend on the Nico parkjets.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by jaggerdan
Hot air rising
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2013
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
The pool noodle nacels on the Tomcat could have 50mm fans inside but she'll be a pusher this time around. Im thinking using the little motor Pat used to recomend on the Nico parkjets.
Hey Al, ltns
Cool fold-wing... where and when you going to maiden it?
jaggerdan is online now Find More Posts by jaggerdan
Old Feb 12, 2016, 08:28 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
Ah i got side tracked . James had a Nico F22 put on a shelf . It had a crashed and broken off nose. So I rebuilt the nose end . And went for a light weight power system . A Hoffman number 25 motor a 10 A esc and a 350ma 2 s battery . It seems to have thrust to weight of about 1 to 1.. I have another F22 thats a heavyweight. I was flying behind the Chino 8 movie theater and a guy was watching . As I was being humble when he started asking if that plane flew I said sometimes. But the little Raptor flew nice and when I landed by my feet he said yeah that thing flys.
Frank and I are going to fly at Alderdale school Sat morning early. Im not sure if the F14 will be ready yet
Last edited by alpea 41; Feb 12, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:01 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
Another diztraction . Horizon wanted 85 $ for a replacement airframe.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by rvincent
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
29,656 Posts
That would make a nice sloper
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:12 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
Fruit stand field of DREAMS

I had my initiation to what is being called TFSF. The Fruit Stand Field.
And as any cumpulsive RC hobbiest would say . A day at the field beats any day at the office.

I was locating by dead recogning and first went west on Dufferin then turned south on Meyers towards the hills. I remembered they talked about being on a hill. I came to the end of Meyers looked across landscape at 3 hills all within a quarter mile and was delighted to spot 4 canopies lined up on the ridge atop a 40 to 50 ft. bluff to my left. Im judging the elevation in reference to a 30 ft standard height utility pole.
So back to Van Buren up the access rd past the fruit stand and 2 trails off to the right 12 ft 45 degree climbs to an abrupt hump. I tried the southern one and although with a running start in low gear I could manage the grade the hump would have had my step boards grounded.
I wisely parked and climbed up on foot. The welcome was warm although I was leary at first and spied from behind a tumbleweed bush. Since they seemed to be friendlies and un armed I approached with peace makers holstered.
They told me take a private drive on the south of the 2nd trail.
The field is a nice base ball field sized dirt flat spot on a hill top . With a smooth hard packed sand and dirt landing strip 50 yards long on the north edge that carrier launches you lut over the valley 50 ft below. See video . To a acomplished slope flyer like myself I felt right at home with ridge line passess in front of the pilot stations. I was the only one comfortable with that pattern i think and I think the guys were worried by my close passess cuz they dont know jack about sloping. But I was always on the left rudder to slide slip the prevailing and I felt right at home
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:17 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
Heres Sticks with a flight of his Pilatus so you can see what I'm talkin about
Pilatus take off at fruit stand field 2 13 16 (2 min 11 sec)
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:33 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
Later in the afternoon after the prevailing had climbed above 5 mph Cort and I did some sloping with a 2 meter balsa motored glider. I wisely mounted a prop on it cuz I knew 5 mph would not be strong enough up the 40 ft bluff with no bowl to funnel the breeze.. i did make several power off passess demonstrating good sloping technique and the glider maintained altitude in the weak lift even with a over sized prop acting as a brake. Cort had it out over the valley where he was catching thermal and rolling air lift from the hill up wind across the valley.In winds of 10 - 12 mph steady westerly light lift slopers could be successfully flown. But I was glad I mounted the prop on the 2 meter cuz many times I had to add throttle to bail out of trouble.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:10 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
Dales goes down in the neighborhood

I know ,I always have stories and this is a good one. If I dont tell stories how are you folks gonna be entertained.
Anyway around 2 I become aware that Dale has lost orientation or signal or his mind and his Bixler motored glider with FPV has gone down in the orange groves to the north about a half mile distant. These guys are experienced and they took a good bearing on the scene of the crash and Cort or Ryan start an aireal search with a hex rotor . I volunteer to assist the search and recovery team cuz he went down by Meyers where I had first gone when I arrived.
We took off in Dales truck parked at the end of Meyers walked along the canal in stealth mode. We went to Renegade Ops mode. " Dont ask Dont tell Dont talk whisper.
In other words unless we have to disturb the land owners lets sneak in get the plane and get out and deny we did it.
We had a bearing on a green fiberglass patio cover but from down here we cant see it.
We come to a locked chain link gate in the fench but with a hefty tug Dale opens it. We are walking through a beautiful orange grove with well kept trees , well weeded and being sprinkled by drip irrigation with resulting muddy patches.
By now the hex overhead had spotted the plane and was hovering over it Dale headed that way and a property owner now starts calling out." Is that your Drone?"
Crap so much for my career as a Orange Grove Seal.
Anyway I crouched to look under the trees didnt see the property owner but he continues to call out , so I decide rather than kill him as collateral damage might as well talk to the man.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:24 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
Ingo is his name and he has a drone.

I decide honesty is best and I start talking to the property owner thru the trees. I say sorry about the tresspass were recovering a plane. And he comes back with its ok I fly drones. Phew . I was happy he didnt say reach for the sky you claim jumpers. So Dale and I have a lucky day. Were not shot or bit by dogs . We meet Ingo. Its German for Ringo I guess.
Hes a real nice guy, he offers us oranges , says hes into RC Drones and Dale gets his phone number and he walks us out to Meyers down the driveway. Thank you Ingo . I had had enough of the mud.
I did a good wingman move though. As we started to walk out I noticed Dales plane was missing a piece of foam from the nose and we found it.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
Ingo said they own both groves on each side of Meyers. I forget how many acres but a lot. Dale asks if they make money on the oranges and Ingo says with high cost of water, fertilizer, insecticide etc. They are lucky to break even. The oranges were really good lookin though. I wish I woulda grabbed one to taste it.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 05:16 AM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Heres Sticks with a flight of his Pilatus so you can see what I'm talkin about
https://youtu.be/bod0V7ywnz8
Great video Al.!. Thanks for posting it.
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Old Feb 14, 2016, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,555 Posts
You're very welcome glad your flight gave a overview of the feel of the place. With a little practice you will get comfortable flying at a site like that where you can make close passess at eye level or below and I think its always cool to see your plane fly by from a top view.