SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by agentorange90
Joined Dec 2014
262 Posts
Discussion
Flite Test 3 pack - compatibility questions

Looking at getting the Flite Test 3 pack kit. These guys are really impressive with their message and I like how they are getting more people into the hobby.

http://store.flitetest.com/3-pack-sw...eed-build-kit/

I was looking for something a bit sexier but this kit is cheap and should get me the experience I am looking for.

What and Receiver do you recommend that would be compatible with a DX4E transmitter?

Also what do you recommend for ESC/motor?

I found this receiver on Hobby King:

Receiver:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=46632

They have some good suggestions on the Flite test but wanted some other opinions. A lot of the stuff they recommend is from Hobbyking and do not have much experience with them. I would prefer to order stuff from Amazon because of the prime shipping.

This one looks like it fits the bill but quite a bit more expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-AR400...plane+receiver
agentorange90 is offline Find More Posts by agentorange90
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,538 Posts
Personally, i would buy from hobbyking, as i as familiar with them, have placed probably 40 orders from them without any screwups by them. I know what gear works for me, based first on what other guys recommended on their build threads. Then as i became more knowledgeable (and adventuresome) i tried more stuff and found more gear I like and continue to buy. The trick for global warehouse is to keep weight under 100 or 200 gm to get the best shipping rates. ($3.99 or $5.99 usually). There are too many amazon stores to keep track of, but i have seldom found prices much better than hk. You can get a 24 gm motor, couple hxt900 servos and ESC from hk and it will be under 100 gm ship weight and around or under $25 including shipping.

I don't fly spektrum, but many friends do and they all use Orange or Lemon rx's. Is your radio dsm2?
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Last edited by springer; Apr 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by dpalmer146
United States, CO, Elizabeth
Joined Mar 2012
112 Posts
For the Flite Test kits, I have used both the Orange and Lemon receivers. For the Mini Scout and the Mini Speedster you can beat the Lemon receivers. The Turnigy 9 gram servos work fine, although on the FT-22 it is easy to overpower them. My next FT-22 will have Hitec HS-81's on it.
dpalmer146 is offline Find More Posts by dpalmer146
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:07 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,538 Posts
{Thread hijack begin:}
By "turnigy" i assume you don't mean hxt900's. Just went to ft, and they recommend the hxt900. I am baffeled that you can trash a 9 gm servo on a 25" span 8 oz plane. What happened?
{Thread hijack over}
Old Apr 29, 2015, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by dpalmer146
United States, CO, Elizabeth
Joined Mar 2012
112 Posts
Turnigy 2826 - 2200 kv motor on a 3 s battery pack.
dpalmer146 is offline Find More Posts by dpalmer146
Old Apr 29, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by agentorange90
Joined Dec 2014
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Personally, i would buy from hobbyking, as i as familiar with them, have placed probably 40 orders from them without any screwups by them. I know what gear works for me, based first on what other guys recommended on their build threads. Then as i became more knowledgeable (and adventuresome) i tried more stuff and found more gear I like and continue to buy. The trick for global warehouse is to keep weight under 100 or 200 gm to get the best shipping rates. ($3.99 or $5.99 usually). There are too many amazon stores to keep track of, but i have seldom found prices much better than hk. You can get a 24 gm motor, couple hxt900 servos and ESC from hk and it will be under 100 gm ship weight and around or under $25 including shipping.

I don't fly spektrum, but many friends do and they all use Orange or Lemon rx's. Is your radio dsm2?
Thanks. It sounds like I get some stuff from HK on the cheap. I'm looking forward to buying my own parts and experimenting with motors, ect. The BNF stuff is awesome untils parts breaks then like Josh Bixler says - "You are a slave to company X for the parts." I one plane from Horizon I got that I am on my 4th motor in 5 months. As far as dsm2 compatible - here is what my manual says:

"Yes. DSMX is fully compatible with all DSM2 hardware. In fact, many pilots may
find the DSM2 equipment they have now is all they will ever need. Even if a new
DSMX transmitter eventually comes along that they really want, all the DSM2
receivers they have now will work with it.
It is important to note, however, that while DSMX is compatible with DSM2, the
only way to experience the full benefits of DSMX in a busy 2.4 environment is by
pairing a DSMX transmitter with a DSMX receiver."
agentorange90 is offline Find More Posts by agentorange90
Last edited by agentorange90; Apr 29, 2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:55 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,538 Posts
Great marketing talk!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,353 Posts
And bear in mind that all that good marketing speak is NOT true in Europe. Since January 2015 new Spektrum DSMX TXs sold within the EU are no longer backward compatible with DSM2 RXs. You have to throw them away and buy all new DSMX RXs.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:26 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,538 Posts
Sounds like a great market for Orange and Lemon to expand!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 08:34 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer146 View Post
Turnigy 2826 - 2200 kv motor on a 3 s battery pack.
So, it flys so fast it loads up the control surfaces when maneuvering? FB Ken's delta Xraycer has broke 100mph and uses hxt900's.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by chodgson
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Apr 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
So, it flys so fast it loads up the control surfaces when maneuvering? FB Ken's delta Xraycer has broke 100mph and uses hxt900's.
The FT-22 also has HUGE elevon surfaces that are directly in the prop wash. I've built two of them using the same HXT-900's and haven't had a problem, but I'm sure if you over over-controlled your surfaces by not paying much attention to the relative control arm placement... well, with that much prop wash onto those large surfaces I can see how you might destroy the servos. But it seems to me that you'd have to be setup for ridiculous throws and/or really enjoy slamming the thing around a lot.

I've observed my hxt 900's not being able to push the elevons to full-throw (about 45 degrees) while the plane is stationary in hand with say 1/2-to-3/4 throttle on (with a 3-cell NTM prop drive 1400kv spinning an 8x4). But my experience is that when your full throw is 45 degrees you don't usually hit it often enough or for long enough to destroy your servo.

On the other hand, I think that Josh from Flite Test might call 100+ mph on 9-gram nylon servos "a little irresponsible", but you can't argue with what works
chodgson is offline Find More Posts by chodgson
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:20 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,538 Posts
Depends on where yer flyin it. Flying anything at 100+ near people or buildings is seriously irresponsible!