New Products Flash Sale

HobbyKing Mini B-17 Bomber

This Flying Fortress is a 4 engine bomber that fits in the seat of your car.

Splash

An Iconic 4 Engine Beast - In Mini Size

HobbyKing's new Mini B-17 is a sport scale mini made from EPO foam. It's durable, and looks pretty good. It comes as a bind and fly model and is compatible with DSM2 transmitters. The receiver also has stabilization that can be turned on or off as desired with a 5th channel. It has landing gear, but in this size they are not retractable. You can easily plug them in for ROG take offs and landings, or take them out for a more scale like appearance while flying. There is a removable hatch on the nose for quick battery access. It should handle well due to the stabilization system and counter rotating propellers that combine differential thrust with the rudder for yaw authority. You'll only need to add your transmitter and a 1S 400-600mAH Lipo battery to get it flying. Learn more about the Mini B-17 at HobbyKing.

Specs:

• Wingspan: 745mm
  • Length: 540mm
  • Weight: 155g
  • Motors: 8.5x20mm Brushed
  • Servos: 2x2g, 1x3.7g

Old Apr 03, 2015, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
3,267 Posts
Stay tuned for an in-depth review. This one looks like it's going to be one heck of a lot of fun.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Almost dialed in...
Old Apr 03, 2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by HGhost
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,287 Posts
Appears HK is giving HH a run for it's money . And at a Far Cheaper Price.
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Apr 04, 2015, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by DonRhone
Canada, BC, Terrace
Joined Mar 2014
132 Posts
B-17

Typical HK release.

I was just about to order one of the new HK B17 but decided to check the spare parts availability.

Well short of the battery, the only item for this plane available as a spare part is the battery, there are no propellers, rudder or elevator replacements or any other parts available.

So did not order the plane.
DonRhone is online now Find More Posts by DonRhone
Old Apr 04, 2015, 03:35 AM
Find More Posts by Same
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
475 Posts
So dont crash it then
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
Old Apr 04, 2015, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by ouraydog
Joined Aug 2013
8 Posts
The scale details seem all wrong. The engine nacelles are too long and spaced too far out on the wing. The landing gear is also way too long. It seems like no one bothered to look at photos or drawings.
ouraydog is offline Find More Posts by ouraydog
Old Apr 04, 2015, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,846 Posts
Yeah perhaps this isn't a great scale aircraft but the prop size has caused the long landing gear and spaced out nacelles. However, with the landing gear off and in the air it looks ok.
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Apr 04, 2015, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
10,166 Posts
Why do people always worry about parts. Sounds like your not a very good flyer. I never once ordered a part for a plane I fly. I want one but there out of stock, Might just buy the silver one instead. As you know HK doesnt make these planes.
FieldofDreamsFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Old Apr 04, 2015, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by RG167
Black Label Society
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Jan 2015
97 Posts
What I think they're going for is the two things the E-Flite B-17 doesn't have: Differential thrust, and the ability to turn off the gyro. I don't really see the point of the differential thrust though. But i think that's what they're really banking on to compete with or exceed HH. As far as scale appearance goes, I'm sure they did the best they could. It's a micro, so you have to make some sacrifices in appearance so it can fly better. If it was completely 100% accurate, I'm sure it wouldn't fly very well. The E-Flite version is a bit more scale looking, but I'm sure they had to make sacrifices too. I also noticed the props were a little long, maybe the motors don't perform how the HK people wanted so they used those props instead of more scale ones.
RG167 is offline Find More Posts by RG167
Old Apr 04, 2015, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
10,166 Posts
A 100% scale airplane is hard to fly. Nobody out there makes one , unless you build your own
FieldofDreamsFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Old Apr 04, 2015, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by RG167
Black Label Society
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Jan 2015
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldofDreamsFlyer View Post
A 100% scale airplane is hard to fly. Nobody out there makes one , unless you build your own
Yup. I have seen some that are really close, but they're scratch built.
RG167 is offline Find More Posts by RG167
Old Apr 04, 2015, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone View Post
Typical HK release.

I was just about to order one of the new HK B17 but decided to check the spare parts availability.

Well short of the battery, the only item for this plane available as a spare part is the battery, there are no propellers, rudder or elevator replacements or any other parts available.

So did not order the plane.
Agreed. No spare parts equals no sale. They had to make parts available for the Bixlers. They will for other planes too if we refuse to buy until they make the parts available. This one's DOA for my fleet.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Apr 04, 2015, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by mattman0182
Joined Apr 2013
173 Posts
Considering that you get free shipping from HH, and HK charges an arm and a leg to ship....

This plane is not really any cheaper than the one from HH, which also has full spare parts support. Also, HH has never refused to replace faulty items for me. I am not saying HK would. Just that because of shipping charges this isnt any better a deal than the HH one.

The paint and foam look a lot better on this one though. The HH one looks very cheap because of the foam molding dots all over it.
mattman0182 is offline Find More Posts by mattman0182
Old Apr 04, 2015, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by 55TBird
Joined Jun 2013
118 Posts
In my humble opinion, that is one BUTT UGLY B-17. In fact, it's down right "_ugly, with an F." You could not pay me to own one.
55TBird is offline Find More Posts by 55TBird
Old Apr 04, 2015, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by cool5tuff
Think about it...
United States, CA, Pomona
Joined Dec 2010
138 Posts
Price on the HH B-17 dropped to 130
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...eflu5380#close

With free shipping to boot, it is cheaper to buy the hh one from the US warehouse.
cool5tuff is offline Find More Posts by cool5tuff