New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by BenVK
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
1,212 Posts
Discussion
Building a James Bond Lotus

I know this is a boat forum but bear with me...

I guess that everyone is familiar with James Bond's Lotus submarine car from the film "The Spy Who Loved Me" ?
It's one of my favourite Bond films mainly because the Lotus is just the coolest gadget ever and I love the bit where Roger Moore drives it up the beach and drops a fish out of the window!

So I went looking for an RC Lotus Esprit to buy but could only find this one. It's a very small model, 10cm long and doesn't do anything interesting let alone go in the water.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by BenVK
Joined Jan 2012
1,212 Posts
I nearly gave up the search when 2 items popped up on ebay and got me thinking about building my own Lotus.

First one was the jet drive unit out of the NQD Tear Into boat. A few Hong Kong sellers have started selling them individuality at a reasonable price so I bought one.

Secondly, a seller in Canada listed some vintage lexan Lotus Esprit bodyshells that fit an RC car long out of production. Believe it or not, no one else as far as I know, have ever produced an Esprit bodyshell which I found really surprising. They've made one for nearly every other make of car.
Last edited by BenVK; Jun 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by BenVK
Joined Jan 2012
1,212 Posts
The bodyshell is about 350mm long by 165mm wide so the search began for a suitable chassis.

I knew that it would have to be front wheel drive which really restricted the options but eventually I found a second hand Tamiya Mini chassis for sale that I hoped would be suitable.

After stripping it down, it looked promising but still needed modifying so out came the dremel and I began cutting bits off it. I also had the relocate the rear suspension to make the wheelbase shorter to fit the shell.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by BenVK
Joined Jan 2012
1,212 Posts
It was good fortune rather than by design that the jet drive unit fits very nicely between the rear chassis assembly and that the motor extends into the tub but still leaves some room for the electronics and a small battery. Still need to work out how to fit some rear shock absorbers but they're not really needed at the moment. On this particular chassis the shocks run horizontal which is fine for the front but obviously not for the rear because the jet drive is now in the way.
Last edited by BenVK; Jun 25, 2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by BenVK
Joined Jan 2012
1,212 Posts
Here's the shell in it's trial position.

Oh, forgot to mention, the idea is to try and get this to run on the surface of the water rather than be submersible which is way beyond my skills.
Not sure whether to have both motors running on one ESC or use two so that I can switch between them.

Some floatation will have to be installed but there's space for those to be attached alongside the chassis inbetween the wheels. I was thinking of using pipe insulation foam tubing because it's closed cell foam and it's cheap!

That it for now, wish me luck!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,861 Posts
If you only put enough floatation in, to create neutral bouancy, then it will work well as a submersible.
To dive would only require minimal effort on the control planes.

The only issue then, would then be a Water Tight Compartment for electronic components.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 25, 2014, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
28,671 Posts
And a non-2.4gHz radio system so it works under water.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 25, 2014, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by BenVK
Joined Jan 2012
1,212 Posts
Do 2.4ghz systems cut out underwater even if the RX has long enough aerials to reach the surface?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
28,671 Posts
The water sucks up the energy. A 2.4gHz signal will be horribly attenuated at the water line, and it goes completely away within a few inches.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 25, 2014, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by savall21
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Man! I had the same thought. I saw that shell on ebay and was wondering if I could squeeze submarine components in it. Glad to see somebody else accept the challenge.

Good luck!!!!
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old Jun 25, 2014, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by BenVK
Joined Jan 2012
1,212 Posts
Honestly, if I can get this thing to jump from the land into the water, turn around and then drive back out again, I will be a very happy camper!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by Steve Bad
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
912 Posts
That's some outside-the-box thinking right there!
Steve Bad is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bad
Old Jun 25, 2014, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by eddy4753
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Apr 2010
191 Posts
You know your Insane don't you.

But,

Me Like.
eddy4753 is offline Find More Posts by eddy4753
Old Jun 25, 2014, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by igotit
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,697 Posts
Subscribed....thanx
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by ken_nj
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,876 Posts
One of the Lotus bodies was recently on American Restoration.

http://www.vegasnews.com/116616/jame...ity-vegas.html

James Bond Lotus Submarine Car Driven by Roger Moore in ‘The Spy Who Loved Me’ now on Display at Hot Rod City Vegas
June 16, 2014 by VegasNews.com

Hot Rod City Las Vegas is going amphibious this summer with the arrival of the James Bond Lotus Esprit Submarine Car, driven in a classic chase scene on the Italian isle of Sardinia by Roger Moore in the 1977 film “The Spy Who Loved Me.”

The vehicle, known for its unique feature of converting into a submarine, is on loan from The Dezer Hollywood Cars Museum for the Summer of 2014. It was recently featured on The History Channel’s “American Restoration,” where it was restored by the show’s star Rick Dale, owner of Rick’s Restorations in Las Vegas.

There were six Lotus submarine cars built and used in the film, with one of them being a drivable underwater sub (though none were pressurized like a real submarine). There are only three remaining in existence. The one at Hot Rod City is the retractable wheel version that appeared onscreen.

The Lotus Esprit S1 (or Series 1) was built by Lotus in the UK between 1976 and 1978. It was launched in 1975 at the Paris Auto Show and went into production in June 1976, replacing the Europa in the Lotus model lineup.

The Dezer Collection, whose main location is in North Miami, will soon be announcing plans for expansion of its museum facility at Hot Rod City.

Hot Rod City Las Vegas, which opened in 2011, is a dealer of and home to some of the coolest hot rods and classic cars in Sin City, including 90 vehicles (60 cars, 30 motor scooters) from the Dezer Collection. Many are film and TV icons, including the “Beverly Hillbillies” jalopy, the Mercedes from “The Hangover,” the “Back To The Future” DeLorean, KITT (from “Knight Rider”), Grandpa Munster’s Dragula and the “General Lee” Dodge Charger from “Dukes of Hazard.”

Hot Rod City Las Vegas is located at 5115 Dean Martin Drive #905, Las Vegas, Nev. 89118.

ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj