to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by DAVE GRABEN
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
My beaver arrived last week. I was not impressed! I'm guessing that the flap and aileron pushrods are not adequate.. The tail feathers are very heavy. The pilot door is too low. I've started to do some mods. The door looks a little better now but is not perfect.
DAVE GRABEN is offline Find More Posts by DAVE GRABEN
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by Stone1295
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,714 Posts
Keep the reviews coming Dave. I'm interested to see what sort of modifications you feel are necessary and how the plane flies after it's all said and done.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by viper7
St. Louis, MO
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
Any flight reports?
viper7 is offline Find More Posts by viper7
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
248 Posts
There are just too many things that need "fixen" before I'll attempt a flight. CG will be fine with two 4 s 3200 lipo's in parallel. The plastic landing gear faring doesn't fit all that well and will require major surgery. It may be just me however. I have never been very good at getting them to fit. The flap hinges may be too small but time will tell. Note the rudder push rod coming out of the fuselage at an unusable angle. I went with a pull-pull because the cable has a straight shot to the servo and works great. The new cockpit doors are ready to install. Man, that was a pain getting them to look correct. When mounting the vertical fin and stab I shimmed the slots with 1/32 balsa. It's a much better fit now. Just a few more hours work and I'll be ready to fly it.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
248 Posts
Dhc-2

Just a few "gotcha's" . When mounting the struts do not glue the alum. tab until
you are happy with the fit. I seated my tabs and the result was to take out what
little dihedral you start with. I added 7 oz of lead to the cowl carb air intake to bring the CG a little more in line. I would prefer 26%MAC but I have only gotten it to 29.6% which is the middle of the recommended range. I'll fly it there and if it survives and acts nice then I'll leave it alone. The gear fairing was not as difficult as I first feared. I used a file and shaved 3/32" from the aft part of the leg that fits inside the fuselage and elongated the outer mounting hole so the gear would swing forward a bit. The gear now has a very slight toe in and the fairing fits better- which is a good thing! I'm now just cleaning up by putting in windows etc. First flight not too far off.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by TLHover
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
400 Posts
Love the Beaver.
Keep us posted.
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
248 Posts
beaver first flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHover View Post
Love the Beaver.
Keep us posted.
The first flight was very satisfying. Take off was straight with very little rudder
correction. Toe- in works. Climb out required three clicks of up. Right wing a little heavy due to flap position (left flap was down a 1/16"). Two clicks of aileron fixed that. Power off stall was a non-event The right strut came loose at the fuselage do to maintenance error. I'm not sure when but I noted it on the second fly-by. I drilled and tapped the strut fittings and they won't come loose now. I added JB Weld just to make sure. The Beaver didn't seem to notice the loose strut! Landing was with full flaps. Just a tad of power until the flair. The grass was long and wet and she nosed over but didn't inflict any damage. All in all the flight was great. I do plan on moving the CG a little aft to improve pitch sensitivity. The DHC-2 is not Scale but is close enough to still draw a crowd. Next I'll do the Float fittings and try that out. I'll keep you posted.
Last edited by DAVE GRABEN; Aug 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
248 Posts
Just one additional comment: The main gear struts are made from very soft aluminum and
distort rather easily. I'm looking for aircraft quality 6064T3 and a bit thicker and will fabricate new gear if I have to. My landings are not perfect but not all that bad ether!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Mojo_72
Joined Aug 2005
15 Posts
HI Dave

I got my beaver last week as well. You are rite,the flap hinge is really flimsy and infact one was actually missing. I intend to change all the hinges just in case.

BTW, could you share your motor,servo & ESC setup. I kind of doubt that the suggested motor 3542 is sufficient or not.

Cheers
Mojo_72 is offline Find More Posts by Mojo_72
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:00 AM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_72 View Post
HI Dave

I got my beaver last week as well. You are rite,the flap hinge is really flimsy and infact one was actually missing. I intend to change all the hinges just in case.

BTW, could you share your motor,servo & ESC setup. I kind of doubt that the suggested motor 3542 is sufficient or not.

Cheers
The motor is a HK Turnigy 4250-710 ,the Battery a 4000 5s, The prop is a 15" three blade from PW-RC.the esc is a 60 A Eflight that I had laying around. It is always better to have extra power in reserve! Your motor is on the light side power wise. My CG is at 26% and is still too far forward. I'd like it back a bit to make the Beaver a bit more sensitive in pitch. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by Mojo_72
Joined Aug 2005
15 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice.i may be looking at a 4s 4000mah setup if possible.

Cheers
Mojo_72 is offline Find More Posts by Mojo_72
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by touche
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
2nd beaver

I see HK Intl store has a 2nd small version Beaver they call the Kenmore. ep/gp balsa as well 1600 mm w/s 95.00 I may be behind the times and its been around for a while I don't know I just saw it today.
touche is offline Find More Posts by touche
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:08 AM
Find More Posts by Dakrat
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,249 Posts
I was wondering if you have gotten any floats for the plane yet? I am thinking of getting one.
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by marksp
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,772 Posts
Thanks for sharing this info!

I just received my DHC-2 (1800mm), as well as the recommended SK3 3542 1,000kV for 3S, unfortunately before seeing this thread. Now not certain if I should even try this setup???

Would you consider posting pic of how/where you mount your batteries?

Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp