HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2014
1 Posts
Hi all,
Today I finished the Spitfire. I got him a great pleasure. Here is a link to my site: http://spitfire.vyjimecny.cz/. They are in Czech. I attach a photo.
Petjan is offline Find More Posts by Petjan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:14 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,937 Posts
Congratulations Petjan....you should have a great time with it.
ce
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Sep 23, 2014, 05:43 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,766 Posts
I'm at my wits end with the stock retracts. I've tried multiple servos, different pushrods & fittings, etc. They will not lock open/closed properly. Even tried two servos as one pilot here used.

Is there a (close) drop-in replacement servo retract I can use for this plane? Has anyone used the Durafly Spitfire retracts?

Thanks, -Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Sep 23, 2014, 06:00 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,344 Posts
Change Sun e-retracts from many sources are what I used.. 512 size IIRC - up to 2.5kg models on a 3mm diameter strut. Mechanical retracts are a nightmare that I don't ever want to revisit. E-tracts all the way, baby.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:39 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,937 Posts
The early Haikong Spit didn't have retracts but I modded it with some Hobby King HKD-312 e-tracts and they worked fine.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...stem_1pc_.html

Good luck
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Sep 24, 2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:03 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,766 Posts
Ready for maiden

I ordered the electric gear for the Spitfire but it'll be a while before it arrives. Until then, I locked the stock gear down in place and took the plane out for its maiden.

Flight was squirrely. She was pitching up hard but not acting tail heavy. I put half down trim to level her off. She had no pitch movement with or without throttle (usually a sign you need down-thrust). The plane's CG is right on at the 90mm mark (per instructions). I had a similar problem with a plane that I thought was tail heavy but turned out to be the horizontal stab had too much 'up' built into the construction. In this case, everything looks level so I have to guess she's tail heavy. Judging how easy this plane tips over with the gear down, I'm hesitant to add too much or she'll keep nosing over on take-offs and landings.

She flew well once the trim was set. Suprised how gentle she was at low throttle. Landing was long 'cause I couldn't get her to come down.

A few more tweaks, a spinner, electric gear, air holes and then she'll be complete.

-Lee

(anyone catch the build mistake in the photo? )
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:28 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,766 Posts
Flew a second/third flight on the Spitfire and it still needed down trim. Read back through this thread and found many of you pushing the CG forward to 75mm. Guess I'll add another ounce (or two) to get it there. Sadly, by doing this, I'll have to bend this gear way forward to keep it from nosing over. When the electric gear comes in, I'll be cutting up the wing to position the gear further back when retracted so it'll shoot forward when down.

Hopefully in a few more flights, I'll have her tweaked just right.

-Lee