HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Rate WWU's RC flying prowess.
He doesn't even know which way is up. 6 22.22%
He's pretty darn good with a UM Champ. 9 33.33%
Not too shabby - unless he's flying the wrong way up. 3 11.11%
My own skills pale in comparision - even when he's flying the right way up. 3 11.11%
The skills of everyone on this thread pale in comparison - regardless of which way is up. 5 18.52%
He could do 3D with a brick and make it look good. 3 11.11%
He has golden thumbs. 4 14.81%
He's the Jaime Lannister of RC. 4 14.81%
Guys like QQ ask him for advice. 8 29.63%
He's the Yoda of RC. The best who's ever been, and the best who will ever be. 9 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 10, 2014, 02:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Contest
UMX Pitts S-1S Hover Contest - WWU-style

Hi everyone! Welcome to the dedicated thread for WWU's world-famous hover contests.

The current subject is E-flite's wonderful UMX Pitts S-1S, which, of course was not really designed for such things. But then, that's sorta the point. For example, an AS3Xtra indoor hover contest wouldn't be anywhere as much fun.

Here are the pertinent posts from the main UMX Pitts S-1S thread - not in chronological order:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I am debating grabbing that thing FWIW! Eagle2nitro was pming me about running a hover contest for this bird and I told him that if he got enough interest, I would buy one of these and join in the fun! I just haven't heard from him since. I think there were a few others who might be interested.

What the heck - look folks, if you think a little FUN ONLY "who can hover this block of foam the best" contest with this pitts would liven things up AND you will promise to submit a video entry (the worse the better) let me know and I will get it started. We had a blast with this a year ago on the umx sbach thread (do a search if you want to laugh a bit). I think ole bhoov said he would pony up a battery as a prize. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Yes, let's get some others to chime in here with commitments to having some fun with our UMX birds. Not only will I offer up a prize - 2 Babbelbatts - I've reached out to the site administrators and RCG will offer free Plus memberships to the top 3 winners.... let's get some fun contests going before the total end of the flying season!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
o.O

I'm in! I have a couple ideas.

But I need to know, just who do I suck up to for bonus points, aside from WWU because he just deserves all the praise, I mean have you seen his vids? Solid gold thumbs. He's like the Jamie Lanister of RC!

-Brian
Quote:
were this true he'd have ONE golden thumb.... and his sister, well, let's just not talk about that....

plus who's ponying up the Hyp 330 babbelbatts? Not the guy who doesn't know up from down. Hey wwu, is your boat at the bottom of the lake yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Ben,

It should be me.

Happy to do it!

2) BB Hyp (2S) 330s to the winner.

rc
Quote:
wait just a minute good sir
I'll supply 1 for the runner up or something then!
Quote:
Bhoov, I do believe this qualifies as smack talk, which is not only perfectly acceptable, it is highly encouraged. Unfortunately, you will have to back-that-smack. Pretty sure I heard kalmon mention that the only way you were gonna hang this thing on its prop was in a tree, but that MIGHT have been shepflyer.

Or maybe it was fish99. Darn it, was it waffleman??? My memory is terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
I said I could torque roll it in a hover. I can and I will, once I get back to the flying field! School is giving me some decreased flying-time as of late...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Jaime Lannister?? I think WWU is more like the Yoda of RC.

Speaking of Yoda... Now this is how you torque-roll a Pitts Special! Check it out @ 3:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CUyipRO4J4&hd=1

I think there should be an extra-special prize for anyone who can pull that off with the UMX Pitts. It could be called the Skip Stewart (or Yoda) award.

Joel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
no we'd have to call it the WWU award.
Quote:
Joel, you are now in first place!
Quote:
Pshh. My pitts will torque roll no matter how much counter aileron you give it!
Quote:
You know, a video of that might earn you a couple free batteries and a fancy color around your name!
Quote:
Next time I go flying it might just!

Quote:
Well, guess who the latest proud owner of a Pitts is? Should be here by Saturday, just in time for a solid week of rain! Oh well. Charging the go-pro now. . . . .

Quote:
Alrighty then. Time to see what shenanigans I can rig up to "compete" in this little competition.

Whatcha guys think? Should I torque roll it between the tiki torches that starred in the "Mig Limbo" competition?
Quote:
quit yappin and show video
Quote:
its gonna be probably a week until I can really do anything for this (busy schedule), I figure you guys will take even longer to get yours done..
Quote:
Its all about the hover, baby. Points are earned for:
- duration
- altitude (lower=better)
- form (minimal vertical and horizontal movement)

Bonus points are awarded for:
-carnage
- shenanigans
- creative interpretation of the rules
-complete disregard for the rules (including the laws of physics)
- suck uppery to yours truly

These rules will be changed throughout the contest without warning and generally to work in my favor.

Let thos cameras roll, boys and girls!!!
Quote:
In honor of whichwaysup, I shall hover it nose down! My methods of how do not concern you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Did someone say Hover Contest??
Quote:
There he is!!!! This contest now is official!

First rule change - if your screen name begins with a "T", any entry will only be acceptable if the pilot rubs his head and pats his belly while executing the hover.
Quote:
Hey guys,
We need to have a separate thread for the contest, as RCG admin asked me in PM to link him to the thread.... so if nobody can handle that today, then I may be able to get to it tomorrow and then go ahead and move the posted videos (basically just copy & paste) over to there.

Ben
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 10, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2014, 03:07 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,434 Posts
Subbed, for roasting you weenies
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Oct 10, 2014, 03:08 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Pug's first entry

UMX Pitts -- hopeless at hovering (3 min 27 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

1. This totally wins in the category of "First Entry."

2. And, takes the early lead for "Best Landing, Regardless of Hovering Performance"?
Quote:
Pug! What a VIDEO!!! I was on the edge of my seat! The thrills, the suspense, and best of all. . .. .

THE HOVER!!!!!! Two full seconds (1:19-1:21) of torque rolling glory! Then you swoop down into a death defying dive.

Absolutely the BEST hover video of the contest.

Also the only one. . . .

And yes, bonus points for first entry, especially since the video is dated May of 2013!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastermoore View Post
Pugsam- I spent my batteries today looking quite a bit like you. You had a couple of nice saves there. This is a great little challenge; now I need to get some footage and get on board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2014, 03:13 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Dalecheek's video

BEAST AS3X.....BACKYARD (4 min 22 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
MY vid for Pitts hover contest...........Plus allaround GRREAT flying
Quote:
SWEET hovering, Dale!

And, very nice paint job!

You're no threat in the "Best Landing" category, though.

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2014, 04:34 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Poll

Fellow fanatical fliers of foam,

I decided to add a little poll - the results of which are public, and may or may not be used by WWU solely at his discretion to do pretty much anything he wishes to do, should he deem it necessary. Or amusing.

I'm sure all of you will vote as honestly as possible.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2014, 05:52 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,756 Posts
ugh, with the winds here I could get an entry with a sustained horizontal hover.....

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 10, 2014, 08:47 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,930 Posts
Earth to Ben and Tracknoob...............Earth to Ben and Tracknoob...............where are your purported videos???

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2014, 09:36 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,462 Posts
Quote:
Earth to Ben and Tracknoob...............Earth to Ben and Tracknoob...............where are your purported videos???

I got way-laid....

As I downloaded the files from my camera to the PC, I realized I had some vid of a friend's ME-262 flying from last week that I had already promised to do for him.

Do'h. So, I'm clipping and uploading that one right now to Youtube. Probably be tomorrow before I can post my own laughable attempts to hover from earlier today. More Teaser info: I used a three-cup anemometer to check our winds today. Average 10mph, gusting to 19.4 while in the air. It's true we do tend to overestimate wind speeds, but it was awfully breezy anyway.

Great news is that while waiting on ME-262 video to upload, I had all the parts needed to fix my Pitts, so between a new prop and adapter, wheel pants, and some CA on the wing and struts, I'm now ready to fly it again!

I hate the sound of that 3000kv motor, so I also took the opportunity to drop a 2300KV V1 Beast motor in just as an experiment. I had a GWS 6030 prop laying around, and also a 5030, so I figured since the original Pitts is pushing a 6 x 2.75, the lower KV can handle the larger pitch of the 6" GWS. I guess we will see. On bench, everything seems fine. Not really 'aiming' for anything in particular, just want to see seat of pants difference, if any.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Oct 10, 2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:18 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,141 Posts
Quote:

Could be u Scared everyone off with your 2sec hover with a turkey roll plus they Krashed.Now all they have will be a FRANKINSTINE pITTS TO tRY to fly. This contest will be very Lucky to get maybe 3 more Feeble attemps at some kind of 3d ,much less Hover UNLESS Turrner shows up
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:06 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,057 Posts
Bwahahahahahahah. I will hover till the cows come home!!!!! Get ready for "udder" humiliation! No bull, here, this, contest will be herd of far and wide. But dont be cowed by my bravado.. . . . . .

Pug, need pic of cow flying airplane. . . .
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:28 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,930 Posts
Silly boy!

Cows can't fly..........

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:40 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,057 Posts
Pug, you have a gift, my friend. I hope you get paid handsomely for that creative gift.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2012
9,434 Posts
Quote:

Quitcher cryin, it's encoding now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:50 AM
Joined May 2012
9,434 Posts
Here, crybabies. I put in some fun stuff. I take the cake for best greased landing not on the wheels. The hover is pretty obvious, dale I think even you can figure out when it happens.

UMX Pitts hover contest - first entry (1 min 2 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:08 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,141 Posts
BEN ,,SwEeT Hooover U also get points for a turn a round landing
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1