SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:04 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Build Log
Chris Craft Cobra

Well after having this kit for two years and collecting several other Chris Craft kits I decided it was time to start on one I have followed all the great masters on this site and hope I can come close to the results on this site! So here we go.
deefman is offline Find More Posts by deefman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:12 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
The Building board laid out per instructions then the keel epoxied frames set up and the frame work attached to the building board
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:26 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Planking

Now on to the first planking. The bow block was ruff trimed until the side planking was installed.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:35 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,445 Posts
Cool. The Cobra's always been my faviorite CC

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Now What?

After sanding and filling, shaping it is almost time for the Mahogany. Now this is where I am getting a little nervous, all the photos I have seen, the bow is the least part shown Dumas is a little vague on how to plank this area.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:25 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
The Cobra is a popular boat. I've seen a few over the years. They all seemed to plow a bit compared to other woodies. I was told the full sized Cobras did too.

This Cobra belongs to one of our club members. This was its first time out. Somebody thought it looked tasty. That foam gator head looked too real.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:52 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2013
90 Posts
Looks like the running Cobra could use some spray rails running down it's chine, but a beautiful build.
bubbletop409 is online now Find More Posts by bubbletop409
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:16 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
Imagine that. It only took you 34 minutes to get a hull roughed in. You're no rookie.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Well not quite, so far it's been 2 weeks, I was just keeping a log for myself but thought I will need some help for sure
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:28 AM
Milford Mi.
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
Hi Deefman, I have built the Dumas kit you are working on and a 1/4 scale model made from enlarging the parts.. The nose block goes on after the planking is done.
The planking does not go over the block. You rough shape it , glue in place and finish shaping and sanding to blend in. The way they tell you to prepare the blocks is to keep the grain of the wood the same to ease in shaping. That is why the color is darker on the nose after staining. I hope this helps you in your build. You view total build of 1/4 scale Cobra on my thread. Thank you, Gary
glgirvin is online now Find More Posts by glgirvin
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:06 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
Just reminded me of my teenage build of a Berkeley Cobra model with glow .049 power and flywheel starting with a shoestring. Oh the smell of fried castor oil and blue exhuast, tossing it in the water to free run in a circle.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:26 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Gary your cobras are great looking I hope mine look half as nice as yours. All the photos of the nose I have seen don't look as if there is a block in the bow. it makes sense after seeing yours now.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Planking

The bottom planking was not as hard as I was expecting Slow going was the key, as all the masters have said on their builds, as I normally just rush in.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:02 PM
Milford Mi.
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
CC Cobra

Hi Deefman. I 'm glad you like my Cobras. As you see I enjoy riding in it with my Cobra Babes. When doing the planking , sometimes you may have to either taper
or dish out the edges to fit tight. The main thing if you are going to run it is to
fiberglass the hull. I only used resin the first time without cloth. after a few years , the planks on the bottom started come loose. to fix it, I super glued them back in place. I then masked off at the water line sanded the bottom and fiber glassed the bottom with 1 oz. cloth and three coats of rein. I then sanded and repainted the bottom. I hope this information will help. Some where on a previous thread, Patmat had a picture of the bottom before I fixed it.Thank you. Gary
glgirvin is online now Find More Posts by glgirvin
Old Sep 03, 2014, 05:42 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
After planking the bottom it was on to the sides. Now this is where the fun really started for me, after the bottom I thought this is going to be a piece of cake, not so, the bends in the bow were trickier than was expected, shaping the planks and adding a few stealers and it was done