SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:36 PM
United States, NM, Elephant Butte
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
Discussion
Electric conversion

I'm building a Kadet Senior. All I have done is the wing. I'm thinking about making it electric instead of glow. It has a 78" wing and no ailerons. What size electric motor do I need and what else would be recommended to convert to electric. Plan to build a battery door to place the battery where the fuel tank would be.
Thank you.
FlightMed17 is offline Find More Posts by FlightMed17
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2014, 03:00 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,267 Posts
The big Kadet has been fairly popular in the glow to electric conversion forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/glow-to-elec...nversions-247/

Here is a search of that forum where I used advanced search to search the titles only for 'Kadet Senior': http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...Kadet%20Senior

Have a look at some of the threads, and if you can't find the answers you need, I think you'll find the glow to electric forum a rich source of answers.

Just a couple of tips to inform your research. The size and Kv (rpm per volt) of your motor will depend entirely on how much power you want to have, the voltage (number of cells) of your battery, and how big a prop you choose. The motor is thus the component you should choose last.

For the big Kadet, with its super low wingloading, input power of at least 70 watts per lb will be ample for easy takeoffs and the all the basic aerobatics you can do on 3 channels. At 6lb, that's only 420W.

The small amount of power the Kadet Senior needs can be achieved with a smallish motor that will weigh a lot less than say a .40 glow, but to avoid having to add ballast you may want to use a motor that is bigger than strictly necessary and runs well below its maximum power.

Good luck with your build
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:30 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,334 Posts
Looking at your low post count I'll make an assumption that you are fairly new to electric power.

The Kadet Senior specs from the website recommend 500 watts electric, or a .40-.50 glow engine.

Easiest way I've seen to help flyers out is the naming system used by Eflite for their motors. They have a .46 motor that will do a fine job on this airframe. You may even get by with a smaller motor if you're not trying to bore holes in the sky.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:20 PM
United States, ID, Shelley
Joined Dec 2011
445 Posts
Take a read through this document, it really helped me understand electric power systems.
ddemu is offline Find More Posts by ddemu
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:27 AM
United States, NM, Elephant Butte
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
You are right I am new to electric and RC for that matter. I have been around it watching my dad and brother for years. I have just started flying and bought an Apprentice to use as my trainer. I started on the Kadet several years ago and only have the wing halves built and not covered. So I'm thinking about adding ailerons. Thanks for the pointers. I'm assuming I will also need an ESC to match the motor.
FlightMed17 is offline Find More Posts by FlightMed17
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:34 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightMed17 View Post
You are right I am new to electric and RC for that matter. I have been around it watching my dad and brother for years. I have just started flying and bought an Apprentice to use as my trainer. I started on the Kadet several years ago and only have the wing halves built and not covered. So I'm thinking about adding ailerons. Thanks for the pointers. I'm assuming I will also need an ESC to match the motor.
When choosing an ESC, you need to make sure that it is:
1. rated for the number of cells you are using - some are only 2S-4S, many are 2S-6S, and above 6s, which you won't need for the Senior are generally considered HV or high voltgage
2. Is rated for at least the peak power your system will draw, preferably with at least some margin. Many will suggest at least a 20% margin, but with reasonable quality ESCs that have a burst rating above their max continuous I'm comfortable as long as my peak power is below the max continuous rating.

An ESC that is rated for lots more current than you expect can not push more current than the motor will draw, so the only disadvantage of an over-rated ESC is weight, cost and size - only cost would be a real issue in the Senior.

You should also look for an ESC that has a 3A or more switching BEC built in. This will be more than adequate for 2 to 4 full size servos depending on how you setup the Kadet.

I've had great success with the Hobby King Plush range of ESCs, which are clones of the Hobbywing Pentiums, and are also sold as Dynam Detrum IIRC.

The Plush 60 will handle pretty much any realistic power system you would put in the Kadet
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco