HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:52 PM
Willich / Germany
Joined Nov 1998
549 Posts
New Product
New Mini Fan evo

Today we can announce the new Mini fan evo, as it is ready to ship.

It follows the very same design principles as the Midi Fan evo, which we launched two months ago. Itīs success took us completely by surprise.

Shipping starts today, dealers will have the chance to stock up very soon. I am sure they will chime in soon.

As with the Midi evo, the load on this fan is a bit higher, by about 25%. So compared to the Mini Fan pro, a kv about 7% lower should be choosen.

As most of you are aware, we work a lot with HET motors. Unlike with the Midi, where we found a perfect range of motors to suit the new fan, it is a bit different with the Mini Fan evo.

Reason is, that historically most of the 28 mm motors where designed around the trusty Mini Fan pro, long before the HET 6904 hit the market. So they where a perfect match, but some of them no longer are.

Two motors fit quite perfect and will sure gain new popularity.

2W20 consumes 55A now on 4s (at 14.8V) and delivers about 1,35 kp of thrust. This is nearly exactly the performance of the 2W18 in the "old" Mini Fan pro.

2W23 was always a bit on the low side in the Mini Fan pro. Now it consumes about 60A on 5s (18.5V) delivering about 1.56 kp of thrust.

We have measured most existing motors and will publish the readings within the next days.

But more important, HET is busily developing new motors to match exactly the needs of this new fan. They should be available in late september.

We managed to make the fan unit even a little bit lighter, it is 57 grams now w/o intake ring. And we do our best to find a good match with reasonably light motors, as we think, if you spend weight in a model, best is to spend it in the battery.

As usual the fan is available as complete fan, single parts, completely mounted and fine tuned sets, and I already know, that soon a couple third party manufacturers will switch to the Mini evo system too, offering their own versions.

Oliver
WeMoTec is offline Find More Posts by WeMoTec
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Great news! Thought I'd have to wait til october.
My Sea Vixen thanks you!
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:16 PM
Willich / Germany
Joined Nov 1998
549 Posts
Yes we usually do not pre announce things, as I do not like this marketing hype about things in progress, so my schedule was a pit pessimistic (you never know what happens).

Oliver
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:26 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,541 Posts
It will be interesting to see what a HET 2w-30 (2200 kV) motor does on 6S (preferably 2200 mah)
IIRC, it was about 30-33amps with a lip and no exhaust with the original mini-fan.
About 40 amps with a lip and no exhaust would make a great light 6S 2200mah (900-1000 watts) set up for most 70mm jets.

JHMO,
Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:44 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Yes this is great news Oliver.
I am in for a few, lets see maybe 6 total.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-racr View Post
It will be interesting to see what a HET 2w-30 (2200 kV) motor does on 6S (preferably 2200 mah)
IIRC, it was about 30-33amps with a lip and no exhaust with the original mini-fan.
About 40 amps with a lip and no exhaust would make a great light 6S 2200mah (900-1000 watts) set up for most 70mm jets.

JHMO,
Terry
I was thinking the Eflight V32 on 5s-6s.

Eric B.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:48 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
I was thinking the Eflight V32 on 5s-6s.

Eric B.
It's 1.5 oz. heavier, but would certainly work if Oliver offers a 5mm adapter for the new minifan Evo.
The 2W-30 has a 4mm shaft and one would expect the new EVO to have an adapter to suite.

-Oh, and based on the numbers Oliver gave, the EVO rotor is very similar in load to the HET 6904 rotor (2w-20 and 4S). So, at first blush, if you're using a 6904, you can swap fans without changing anything else.

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Last edited by ex-racr; Aug 21, 2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added info
Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:58 PM
Willich / Germany
Joined Nov 1998
549 Posts
Shroud, spinner and adaptors remain unchanged.

There will be no 5 mm adaptor, since the centre hole of the rotor is 1/4° and not enough material would be left over. Sorry.

A common practice is to trim down the shaft (external part only to 4 mm.

Oliver
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:09 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Hi Oliver,
Does this use the same adapter as the "classic" minifan?
Looks the same in the picture..
Also, whats you recommendation for minimum or optimal exit nozzle?
I assume it can handle some compression like the 90evo.
Bruce
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:18 PM
Willich / Germany
Joined Nov 1998
549 Posts
Adaptor is identical to the latest revision of the classic Mini adaptor.

Recommended thrust tube is identical to the old version. We took a lot of care on this point!

Optimum: 56 mm
Optimized for static thrust: 60 mm, no bigger
Optimized for speed: 52 mm, some tried it even smaller.

If going smaller, check the current, it goes up with smaller exhaust to a certain point, than drops down. If it drops down, you have gone too far.

Oliver
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:26 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Thank you!
I didn't update my screen to see you had already posted about the adapters! Sorry about that.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:06 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,454 Posts
Shucks...I just got a regular mini-pro... Oh well..

About the same price, Oliver?

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:11 PM
Willich / Germany
Joined Nov 1998
549 Posts
New fan is 10 Euro more.

While there is nothing wrong with the Mini Fan pro, single rotors are available as upgrades at a fair price (actually not much more than the difference.

You can still use shroud, adaptor and spinner.

Oliver
Old Aug 21, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeMoTec View Post
Shroud, spinner and adaptors remain unchanged.

There will be no 5 mm adaptor, since the centre hole of the rotor is 1/4° and not enough material would be left over. Sorry.

A common practice is to trim down the shaft (external part only to 4 mm.

Oliver
Hi Oliver,

I have a couple of the V32 motors but have a lot of motors with 4mm shafts that will work.

Eric B.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:07 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Another nice addition to the wemo lineup I have an order in for fans and 70mm rotors, also rotors cut down and balanced to suit my 65mm Alloy fan housing. Not sure when I will see them as the post seems to be haphazard lately, but hopefully in 2 weeks +/-.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC