HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2014, 10:36 PM
It's only money & foam...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jun 2012
1,143 Posts
She's a really great flyer. One of my favorites in my hangar. Be sure to change that stock esc if your gonna run a PZ 3 blade. She pulls more amps than the stock 2 blade. The stock esc isn't the best either. Mine fizzled out after about 30 flights. Thank god it was on the ground and not in the air when it happened. I have run the same 3 blade set up and have found the PZ 9x6 2 blade works really well overall. The 3 blade looks better though.
P40flyer is offline Find More Posts by P40flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2014, 11:13 PM
United States, PA, Port Allegany
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
I have run the PZ 9X6 2 blade and the 3 on my hellcat for more flights than I can remember on the stock esc same as the F4U has time will tell how it holds up. It is better on the 9x6 2blade though.
74charger is offline Find More Posts by 74charger
Old Jan 06, 2014, 09:24 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Ok, here's my rough Photoshop sketch just to get the idea. It's based on the 70's Estes model rocket Der Red Max. This plane was almost completely destroyed, but the previous owner had glued the fuse and wing back together. I rebuilt the motor, the motor mount, rebuilt the wheel mount, installed carbon rods in the wings, patched dents, rebuilt the cowl and will refinish obviously.

The wing wasn't awful until I tried the boiling water/steam trick and ruined much of what was fine. I sanded that down and tried a thin layer of FG resin as I had another project going. Should've checked first as I almost melted the wing! After some spackle the wing is looking good again. It will still be a beater for sure, but it will fly again.

It's been a great plane to get some rebuilding experience with.

C130747 is offline Find More Posts by C130747
Old Jan 25, 2014, 08:12 AM
New York
Joined Nov 2009
414 Posts
anyone use a gyro

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-3axisg...ing-plane.html
I just bought this one to try. did not get it yet. anyone use this or any other in the plane?
Does it help on take off ground or hand?
kidagain is offline Find More Posts by kidagain
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:53 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
It would help if an experienced pilot got the plane dialed in for you, which along with what the others are saying, I think you aren't giving yourself a fair chance by using this is a trainer. I have Phoenix and Realflight, and the Tower Hobby corsair does not fly like the corsairs in these sims. For example, the parkzone corsair flies more slow/scale and feels heavier and more stable in the air than the Tower Hobby corsair feels in reality.

The parkzone Corsair in Phoenix feels like a great trainer and if the real one flies like that it might be a good trainer except that it is a tail dragger. Lots of threads around here talking about 'good first planes'
For those with time on this plane AND Phoenix, is there another Phoenix model that would give a more similar flight response (or one that would prepare you better)? Even if it's nitro or another airframe or whatever?
C130747 is offline Find More Posts by C130747
Last edited by C130747; Jan 25, 2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:00 PM
I feel vigorous!!!
Joined Mar 2013
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidagain View Post
http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-3axisg...ing-plane.html
I just bought this one to try. did not get it yet. anyone use this or any other in the plane?
Does it help on take off ground or hand?
If you want a stabilizer I'd recommend the Orange one from Hobbyking.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html

Is a 6 channel RX and stabilizer all in one. They were selling for $14.99, but I guess price went up. I have several and like them. Plus they are in a hard case vs. being exposed like that Hobbypartz one.

But as for launching, yes the stabilizers do help on hand launches. For rolling take offs, I'd guess they help there too, but not sure it's really needed for that. Not sure about the Hobbypartz one, but the Orange you can turn the stabilizer on/off with a TX switch (flaps on mine).
Vigorous is online now Find More Posts by Vigorous
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:27 PM
New York
Joined Nov 2009
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigorous View Post
If you want a stabilizer I'd recommend the Orange one from Hobbyking.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html

Is a 6 channel RX and stabilizer all in one. They were selling for $14.99, but I guess price went up. I have several and like them. Plus they are in a hard case vs. being exposed like that Hobbypartz one.

But as for launching, yes the stabilizers do help on hand launches. For rolling take offs, I'd guess they help there too, but not sure it's really needed for that. Not sure about the Hobbypartz one, but the Orange you can turn the stabilizer on/off with a TX switch (flaps on mine).
I wish I had seen that one first. well we will see what happens. Thanks
kidagain is offline Find More Posts by kidagain
Old May 21, 2014, 07:03 AM
United States, VA, Prince George
Joined Jul 2013
13 Posts
Tamiya paint color matches?

Hello,
Anyone match the three colors used on the TH Corsair using Tamiya acrylic paints? I cannot get a look at these paints locally and will have to order them, so I was hoping someone has already matched them up. (I don't trust my computer's display to reproduce these colors correctly from the Tamiya website.)
Thanks for your help!
Geoffrey
Geoff Raiser is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Raiser
Old Aug 21, 2014, 03:47 PM
United States, CA, Salida
Joined Dec 2013
136 Posts
I picked up a TH Corsair from a guy getting out of the RC Hobby. He was having trouble walking and couldn't retrieve the planes.

The plane does fly but I'm redoing a bunch of stuff. I don't think he knew what he was doing.

He put in a Turnigy G10 1100KV motor which I think is too big of a motor for this plane. He was also running a 9x6 prop but it was for a gas/nitro engine. The prop is a lot more durable then the E props I use. I'm wondering what the downsides are to this prop. He has a 20A esc, but the motor is rated at 32a and calls for a 40a esc. The wing is new, but he screwed up the landing gear so I'm trying to figure out something to design that will be a good replacement. He also gave me the old wing which was broken, but glued back together. I might experiment with the old wing and add flaps. The fuselage is solid, but the paint makes it look like it has been beat up.

I flew the plane and couple times and had a few less then graceful landings (ok one of them was a crash). One thing I will say is it is a tough bird. Rough landings or crashes on any of my other planes would have resulted in damage, but with this one no damage, not even to the prop.

This isn't exactly the Corsair I was looking for, but overall it was a great price and will be a fun project.
Laury415 is offline Find More Posts by Laury415