HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
I am wondering what batteries people are flying with I would like too put 2 in parallel, but need the lightest weight to power ratio, anyone have any good suggestions

thanks
flyingbiscuit1 is online now Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
I am wondering what batteries people are flying with I would like too put 2 in parallel, but need the lightest weight to power ratio, anyone have any good suggestions

thanks
In my opinion the sweet spot for the S800 is a single 6S 8000 30C from HobbyKing. With the Z15 and 5N on board I still get 15-18 minutes of hovering for AP work. I had the battery plugged in for about 30 minutes of flying up and down and then physically moving the copter to a new spot to take off. I was very happy with the results. Having 4-5 of these charged and ready to go should be more than enough for the average shoot. Hell the sorry ass battery on the Sony 5N barely lasts an hour of use anyways.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
In my opinion the sweet spot for the S800 is a single 6S 8000 30C from HobbyKing. With the Z15 and 5N on board I still get 15-18 minutes of hovering for AP work. I had the battery plugged in for about 30 minutes of flying up and down and then physically moving the copter to a new spot to take off. I was very happy with the results. Having 4-5 of these charged and ready to go should be more than enough for the average shoot. Hell the sorry ass battery on the Sony 5N barely lasts an hour of use anyways.
You get 15 - 18min with a 6S 8000 30C? I have that same battery and setup with not the same result, what are you letting the voltage get down to?

Thanks.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:52 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
I have the Quanum telemetry plugged into the balance port of the lipo and when 1 cell gets down to 3.4 volts I start to bring it in.

This was not with aggressive flying around. This was AP work as I stated, pretty much straight up and down flying.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
Photographer in Stockholm
Joined Sep 2012
23 Posts
@Sid3ways, 15+ minutes?
OMFG!
I have the same setup ( stock props) and get 9-10 min before safety landing. Then ive spend 6000 mAmps.
Raggarn is offline Find More Posts by Raggarn
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:28 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Huh yeah I do 3.4v as well and when I had my 16mm lens on the nex5 I got about 12min max. Now with the CZ 24mm I get about 8 - 10min. Wonder whats different with our rigs. I would get 15+min if I took the Z15 off and switched to my AV130.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Dec 2004
21 Posts
For those running two 5000MAH+- packs in parallel, have you used 12ga wire for the parallel harness? I ordered a parallel charging cable which I intended to cut and solder up to the S800, but it's 12ga for the main lead and 14ga for the wires going to each battery. The battery wires are also 12ga so I'm concerned that 14ga won't cut it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
c130pilot is offline Find More Posts by c130pilot
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post

Does it do it in Flight?
Yes, also in flight, on one motor.
Had the same problem on other copter, I changed the prop there and it was ok.
I have to switch the props from motor to motor and reduce gains to see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Have you tried without the prop adaptor?
With DJI props I could go full throttle on the ground and no vibes
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
PolynÚsie franšaise, ╬les du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
521 Posts
i don't know if it is the fact of the new 5.14 firmware but we don't have registered any new FOD in this thread . i hope i'm not wrong! even if many people have many white flashes
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c130pilot View Post
For those running two 5000MAH+- packs in parallel, have you used 12ga wire for the parallel harness? I ordered a parallel charging cable which I intended to cut and solder up to the S800, but it's 12ga for the main lead and 14ga for the wires going to each battery. The battery wires are also 12ga so I'm concerned that 14ga won't cut it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
I used 12 awg for everything and got rid of the main connector to be on the safe side...
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
I'm sure you mean 23.69, not 13.69
I fly 2x 5000mah 6S 25c Zippy, and this is what I have mine set at for now (see attachment). I set my timer for 12 min and have not hit second level protection yet. First level starts around 10min...
It seems that your loss is also around .60v since you get the first level warning at 23.1v and after landing/checking you are actually at 23.69v...
Yep, I meant 23.69. Thank you for the screenshot! I just went out and tested your exact settings on my rig, only with 1 battery to see how that would do. I still saw the first level warning come on super early, something like 2.2 minutes in. At that point, I hovered for an additional 4 minutes in first level warning, before it switched to second level and landed itself (i was hovering VERY close to the ground in home position for safety). It just seems like the 1 level warning is coming on WAY too early. Any suggestions?
Capo Creative is offline Find More Posts by Capo Creative
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo Creative View Post
Yep, I meant 23.69. Thank you for the screenshot! I just went out and tested your exact settings on my rig, only with 1 battery to see how that would do. I still saw the first level warning come on super early, something like 2.2 minutes in. At that point, I hovered for an additional 4 minutes in first level warning, before it switched to second level and landed itself (i was hovering VERY close to the ground in home position for safety). It just seems like the 1 level warning is coming on WAY too early. Any suggestions?
Hmm, I don't know, that is strange...
How many C are your lipos? 30, 20, 15? Maybe the discharge rate is too low??
In the mean time I guess you could lower the first warning slightly so you don't get annoyng flashes all the time. Second warning seems ok to me since you get 6+ minutes on one 5000mah pack...
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Hmm, I don't know, that is strange...
How many C are your lipos? 30, 20, 15? Maybe the discharge rate is too low??
In the mean time I guess you could lower the first warning slightly so you don't get annoyng flashes all the time. Second warning seems ok to me since you get 6+ minutes on one 5000mah pack...
40-50C discharge... The problem with lowering the first warning, it seems that the warning LED lights are coming on MUCH earlier than the set voltage... Would it really be going from 25 v to 22.8 in 2 minutes? Can't be... It just seems the first warning is coming to early... But i agree, the actually flight times seem right on track.
Capo Creative is offline Find More Posts by Capo Creative
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
I am using the WKM warning, but I rely on the Spectrum telemetry to see what is going on at a glance.

When I see that RED light it needs to come down quick..
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Denny Denny Denny,

We do think a like.

Time to open up the UAVProducts.com Skunkworks.

This is our ZenHeliCam with the Zenmuse. We are using PH boom (frame mounts) and Paul made us a set of Boom to Z15 adapters.

This is based on the Henseleit TDR that we modify. We have 3 in stock. The platform is for the larger Zenmuse to come. The one in the video is only a 700mm but all the others are 800mm versions. By far the smoothest heli and the most Industrial high quality design heli we have ever used. The simplicity of the design and low parts count is amazing. The head as you mentioned is great at low head speeds. Our custom battery try can take 12s 5000mah (2 lipos) or 4 for long duration (10,000mah or more).

We abandoned the VarioCam we designed and now just offer the ZenHeliCam.

We will post more once we finish a few little things. The booms still need to be trimmed down and our electronics box slightly modified to handle the can bus from the Zenmuse. The funny thing is these don't cost that much more (and sometimes less) than Multi rotors.

They are special order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef21fKriEVE&feature=plcp
Nice one
I'm still working on production molds for the carbon swinging arm mount adapter. Buggy shocks. But more or less the same layout as yours. The unit also supports the two 11 amp. maxamp batteries to add a little mass the assembly. Any idea when you might see the Zen big brother?
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac