SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Did the flash memory card pop out? But that would just cause the yellow LED to flash when you power it up, and you say its dead, so I guess that means no yellow LED at all?

p.s. You may have a long wait for any price drop!

Thanks for the response Tom. The card didn't pop out.. actually what happened was, when I retrieved the cam after it fell (a couple feet) to the floor, the yellow standby LED remained persistently on. I had to do an extra long power button press to get it to shut off.

After that, it just wouldn't come back on. Tried resetting multiple times, opened it to see if the plastic buttons were broken inside... nada. The battery wire connections seem fine.

About the price: you may be right. But it's really not all that much more expensive to manufacture than the #3?

It would be a good marketing strategy for the sellers to experiment with a price drop of say $10 - I'm sure it would result in a healthy spike in sales. Heck do a 4th of July special or something!
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:34 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Can you be more specific about "can't get it to save"? Clicking the "file/save/save video" menu option will output the video to the folder and file name you specify when the output requestor pops up. Are you saying nothing gets saved, you can't find the file, or what?

There might be some easier ways to do your editing and keep the full frame size. What all do you need to do during your edits?
My problem seems to be finding the correct video, audio and format settings and the right file type to save as. I've just managed to edit/cut and save a short, 1min test video using mpeg4-avc, mp3(lame) and mp4, saving as a .mpg. the result was good but playback with VLC was a bit jerky with 900 lost frames. I configured the video as Average bitrate 4000, 2pass, macroblock-tree rate control on and 40 frame lookahead, most of which may as well be in Chinese for me
If you can suggest some better settings, I'd be eternally grateful. Once I have the basics, I can play with any additional features later. I'm not bothered by the time it may take to process, I sleep a solid 7 hours most nights
My 'ancient' PC runs WinXP SP3 at 2.1GHz with 2GHz of RAM if that's any help.
Cheers,
Mike
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:42 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzen View Post
Thanks for the response Tom. The card didn't pop out.. actually what happened was, when I retrieved the cam after it fell (a couple feet) to the floor, the yellow standby LED remained persistently on. I had to do an extra long power button press to get it to shut off.

After that, it just wouldn't come back on. Tried resetting multiple times, opened it to see if the plastic buttons were broken inside... nada. The battery wire connections seem fine.

About the price: you may be right. But it's really not all that much more expensive to manufacture than the #3?

It would be a good marketing strategy for the sellers to experiment with a price drop of say $10 - I'm sure it would result in a healthy spike in sales. Heck do a 4th of July special or something!
Try connecting to the PC USB port, pushing the reset button, etc. Maybe even do to firmware flash or battery disconnect if all else fails. Whatever you do, don't trash-can it. I gladly accept all dead #11s for spare parts!

The #11 has a pretty sophisticated video processor in it... much more capable than the old 808s. I don't know what it costs, but I'm sure it's more than the old 808's. The #11 is priced more for what it can do than what the manufacturing costs are, and there's a couple others (not nearly as good) now being marketed at similar price point to the #11, so the competition isn't driving prices down yet. MAybe one day.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Help ! - in need a camera module

Hi everone

I'm working on a really useful manual-focus modification for #11 808 cameras.
The mod will allow you to focus the camera accurately from approx 3ft to 'infinity and beyond' at will, without having to dissasemble it.

With RC flight video especially in mind, it will allow the user to tweak the 'distance' resolution for optimal picture quality and sharpness, as well as letting you set the best focus for close-up video.

BUT, I have a big problem - with all the physical work on the camera, the ribbon cable of the C971P cmos module has cracked, breaking tracks - not good.

So, I need a replacement module for it. Can anyone help please ?

Many thanks in advance, Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Sep 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
That's some really nice subject video you had to work with, Bill. You have a good editor to work with as well. Nicely done. See some of the tips posted right after your video post for ways to make the video even more enjoyable to watch by trimming it down a bit.

Please show some more of your flight video here!
Thanks Tom I will post more as I proceed, I am enjoying my new #11 to the full and hopefully the firmware guys will manage to get the colour problem sorted for us. The tips were handy too as I did read them and any more information in this area would be very welcome.

Bill
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:00 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
498 Posts
Maybe is good if you show us some pictures...
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Jumbo #11 is here , and opened

Got the "Jumbo" #11 today . packed in sealed antistatic.
Shipped registered with #tracking
need to align the lens a tiny bit with the body..

* certainly not same PCB as you can see.
* works as #11 as far as I can tell
* records and charges with regular USB.
* The car lighter Adapter is cute . small with USB connector , no fixed cable but 2-wire charging cable is provided, AND regular USB cable for Data to PC.
* BMW "fat" sticker

I want/need to compare movie and stills to older #11.

suggestions questions welcome
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post

So, I need a replacement module for it. Can anyone help please ?

Many thanks in advance, Richard
I chat on MSN with one seller. I'll ask what can they do. the boss could be a problem . I'll post results
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:57 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
My problem seems to be finding the correct video, audio and format settings and the right file type to save as. I've just managed to edit/cut and save a short, 1min test video using mpeg4-avc, mp3(lame) and mp4, saving as a .mpg. the result was good but playback with VLC was a bit jerky with 900 lost frames. I configured the video as Average bitrate 4000, 2pass, macroblock-tree rate control on and 40 frame lookahead, most of which may as well be in Chinese for me
If you can suggest some better settings, I'd be eternally grateful. Once I have the basics, I can play with any additional features later. I'm not bothered by the time it may take to process, I sleep a solid 7 hours most nights
My 'ancient' PC runs WinXP SP3 at 2.1GHz with 2GHz of RAM if that's any help.
Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

If you only need to trim the clips, there is no need to also re-encode it unless your PC is not capable of decoding the native video. Can you play the native video .mov files on your PC smoothly using the VLC player?

If so, you should be able to simply load the .mov file into AviDemux, trim it as desired, then in the main Avidemux window left side, set:
  • Video to "copy"
  • Audio to "MP3 (lame)"
  • Format to either MP4 or AVI
This will directly copy the video stream with it's native 1280x720p frame size with the original H.264/AVC1 video codec and bitrate to the new container format, re-encoding only the audio stream, which is necessary for these two file containers, but it goes very fast.

I can play back either the .avi or .mp4 with the VLC player, but for an unknown reason, my W7 WMP does not play the video stream afterwards in the .avi container, but it does in the .mp4 container.

Anyway, try this and let me know how it goes. The .avi format should be loadable into just about any editor.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:42 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,338 Posts
Some video of the AXN Floater-Jet this weekend out at the cottage in Summerside PEI.
Recorded with HD Keychain cam attached just behind the canopy. Video compiled in iMovie from two different flights the same day.

Locke Shore Summerside PEI - AXN Floater-Jet Flights (6 min 7 sec)
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:42 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
I chat on MSN with one seller. I'll ask what can they do. the boss could be a problem . I'll post results
Thank you very much - I'll keep my fingers crossed

The camera board itself is absolutely fine, minus it's cmos module :

Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:25 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post

Got the "Jumbo" #11 today . packed in sealed antistatic.
Shipped registered with #tracking
need to align the lens a tiny bit with the body..

* certainly not same PCB as you can see.
* works as #11 as far as I can tell
* records and charges with regular USB.
* The car lighter Adapter is cute . small with USB connector , no fixed cable but 2-wire charging cable is provided, AND regular USB cable for Data to PC.
* BMW "fat" sticker

I want/need to compare movie and stills to older #11.

suggestions questions welcome
Thanks for the pictures of the internals. That means I can resist the temptation to open up mine.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:31 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike,

If you only need to trim the clips, there is no need to also re-encode it unless your PC is not capable of decoding the native video. Can you play the native video .mov files on your PC smoothly using the VLC player?

If so, you should be able to simply load the .mov file into AviDemux, trim it as desired, then in the main Avidemux window left side, set:
  • Video to "copy"
  • Audio to "MP3 (lame)"
  • Format to either MP4 or AVI
This will directly copy the video stream with it's native 1280x720p frame size with the original H.264/AVC1 video codec and bitrate to the new container format, re-encoding only the audio stream, which is necessary for these two file containers, but it goes very fast.

I can play back either the .avi or .mp4 with the VLC player, but for an unknown reason, my W7 WMP does not play the video stream afterwards in the .avi container, but it does in the .mp4 container.

Anyway, try this and let me know how it goes. The .avi format should be loadable into just about any editor.
Thanks again Tom. That's exactly what I needed. The original plays fine in VLC so all should be well. I hope to get some video of what was RAF Hawkinge in the morning and should be able to post the results later.
Mike
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:51 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
Thanks for the pictures of the internals. That means I can resist the temptation to open up mine.
The battery charges really quickly!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:31 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,394 Posts
I had problems with my #11 several pages back (the PC wouldn't see the camera). I sent it back to China twice - the first time the Post Office wouldn't take it because it was labeled 'camera.'

My vendor told me today they'd received it and would be shipping me a new one. Yay.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Closed Thread