HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:26 AM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
423 Posts
Select thread tools. Then show attachments in this thread. Looking at the photos can quickly find items of interest. There are some photos of bashes that turned the T-28 into a taildragger.
There are other helpful photos you will see along the way. When you find an interesting photo select post to jump to the post that discusses the photo.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
Just a reminder. Anyone who uses tape for hinges. My T-28 went down Wednesday.

Aileron failed.

The hinge tape was lying on the ground next to the wreck. Checked the other hinges... tape just peeled off like the adhesive had dried up. Blenderm. Plane is several years old.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bugbitten; Dec 08, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,766 Posts
I hate when that happens..
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:33 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
Here's some design data on conventional "tail dragger" landing gear.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/design/q0200.shtml
thanks, that gave me the general idea of where to place the gear. its also what was mentioned by the little i could gather from earlier posts and some other threads i searched around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
Select thread tools. Then show attachments in this thread. Looking at the photos can quickly find items of interest. There are some photos of bashes that turned the T-28 into a taildragger.
There are other helpful photos you will see along the way. When you find an interesting photo select post to jump to the post that discusses the photo.
thanks, i tried that. all i found was pics of trojans on trikes.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:49 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
Just a reminder. Anyone who uses tape for hinges. My T-28 went down Wednesday.

Aileron failed.

The hinge tape was lying on the ground next to the wreck. Checked the other hinges... tape just peeled off like the adhesive had dried up. Blenderm. Plane is several years old.
First, I am very sorry that your Trojan Crashed.

Second, I am very curious as to why you think the Aileron Failed? Are you saying it was the one of the Aileron Servos? Or that the Molded "FOAM" Hinged failed at that control surface on the wing?

My NAVY T-28 Trojan is about 6 years old now, one of the very first Trojan T-28 that Park Zone released and came with the older E-Flite 25-AMP non-switch mode ESC plus with the sorry 72-Mhz FM Receiver. The Airframe is still intact and never have my model exhibit any issues with any of the "Molded Foam" hinges anywhere on the wing.

Now, when the model crashes hard back to mother Earth, there is possibilities that Molded Foam / Tape etc... will rip / come off.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
First, I am very sorry that your Trojan Crashed.

Second, I am very curious as to why you think the Aileron Failed? Are you saying it was the one of the Aileron Servos? Or that the Molded "FOAM" Hinged failed at that control surface on the wing?

My NAVY T-28 Trojan is about 6 years old now, one of the very first Trojan T-28 that Park Zone released and came with the older E-Flite 25-AMP non-switch mode ESC plus with the sorry 72-Mhz FM Receiver. The Airframe is still intact and never have my model exhibit any issues with any of the "Molded Foam" hinges anywhere on the wing.

Now, when the model crashes hard back to mother Earth, there is possibilities that Molded Foam / Tape etc... will rip / come off.
The molded foam hinge showed cracks a year ago and I taped the hinge.

The servo did not fail. The crash was nose in from level flight to hard roll. No damage to wing other than flapping aileron.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:27 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,259 Posts
Quote:

The servo did not fail. The crash was nose in from level flight to hard roll. No damage to wing other than flapping aileron.
Interesting,

I almost always check all surfaces on my older T-28 Trojan and never have I come across any "Cracks" on the Molded Foam Aileron Hinges of any wing side.

Could it be possible that your model had a previous encounter with mother Earth?
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Interesting,

I almost always check all surfaces on my older T-28 Trojan and never have I come across any "Cracks" on the Molded Foam Aileron Hinges of any wing side.

Could it be possible that your model had a previous encounter with mother Earth?
Several over the past few years.

I'm just saying .... if you have a taped hinge, check the tape.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:58 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Several over the past few years.

I'm just saying .... if you have a taped hinge, check the tape.
Good advice to always check all the control surfaces before flight!
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
423 Posts
Cmdl,
Hre is a link that has lots of photos of Bashed planes. Some used to be a T-28.
Notice the Skyraider that used to be a t-28 (before the bash).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104830
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:54 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
Cmdl,
Hre is a link that has lots of photos of Bashed planes. Some used to be a T-28.
Notice the Skyraider that used to be a t-28 (before the bash).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104830
thanks very much GCplane. still going through some of the threads listed on DogFly's thread, including the Skyraider conversion. i noticed that on the Bearcat conversion he uses the same LG mounts. that's specially helpful to know since i believe that may entail most of the work and i was spending most of my time wondering if folks used some other plane's LG mounts.

i appreciate the material. i am considering giving this a shot in a couple of weeks when i have some vacation coming up.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:15 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,360 Posts
thoughts on the master airscrew 3 blade for the t-28? i am running the pz corsair 3 blade and love it! not a fan of the stock 2 blade and was wondering if folks like the master 3 ? i prefer the thrust of the 3 blade and am not concerned with top speed as i am getting the extra 300 from santa! the blades look quite narrow compared to the parkzone 3. thoughts? looks like for a given revolution it would grab less air per blade creating less thrust? am i correct in thinking this way? thanks for the imput. i have heard good and bad regarding both 3 blades. thanks, walt.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
Try a hk durafly prop for T-28. You'll need a prop reamer, but best prop I have found
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:22 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,641 Posts
Had my trusty old T-28 down at the dry lakebed today and got her clocked at 68 MPH on RADAR....and that's on an all stock setup! Not bad for a "trainer"

My buddy flys an Air Force version and somehow got his to 72 MPH on the RADAR gun...! I'm thinkin' (no joke) he was slightly in a dive and levelled out right before hitting the gun. I started my run fairly far out and gunned her about 20-30 feet off the deck. Looked great zipping by at that altitude and then doing a nice climbing bank off to the left after she passed the RADAR.

And yes, I was holding lots of down elevator to keep her from climbing to the moon
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:20 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
Quote:

My elevator hinge tore a few months ago from hangar rash / during transportation in my car. I used Blenderm tape to reconnect. Just checked and the tape is still holding fast.
Left Coast DJ is online now Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ