SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:47 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Discussion
DC Maxecuters Bill Winter contest in late 70s

I have been scanning some old photos from DC Maxecuters flying sessions -- this was a Bill Winter contest in the late 70s. Some really nice planes here. L to R, Dan Driscoll, Bill Bell (deceased), Dave Rees (deceased), Allan Schanzle, Bill Winter (deceased), Rolfe Gregory (deceased), Earl Stahl (deceased) and Pat Daily (me--still very much alive) at Shangri-La. Sure do miss those folks. We had a lot of fun that day. I am holding my Fiat G-50 which won WWII at the first FAC Nats in 1978. This photo was shot by Tom Schmitt who built the French Morane that Bill Winter is holding.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Last edited by Pat Daily; Jun 13, 2014 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:22 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,272 Posts
I like Dan Driscoll's and Dave Rees' biplanes. Pat, do you still have that Fiat by any chance?
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jun 14, 2014, 07:45 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Trisquire--I donated the Fiat to the AMA museum. I was out there in 2008 and they couldn't find it. Pissed me off! Should have kept it. When you look at that photo , Dave Rees, Bill Winter and Earl Stahl -- each a great designer of ff scale planes. They all flew great. Bill used to fly with us in DC a lot and Dave would come up from North Carolina for contests and earl would come up from Langley, VA where he ran the wind tunnel testing operations for years. Bill Bell worked at Martin aircraft for years. Allan Schanzle designed satellite orbits for NASA back in the pre computer days and designed some nice ff scale jobs too. Rolfe Gregory was a line forman at Luscombe in 1939 and later a patent attorney for the Air Force. Great guys! Allan and Dan (the youngest) are still with us. I miss those that are gone.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:59 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,272 Posts
Pat,

I'm sorry that the AMA misplaced your Fiat. It sounds like ff scale enthusiasts are a pretty educated bunch.

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire