HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2014, 08:48 AM
United States, VT, Dorset
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
Byron Glasair/Pipe Dream Wings

I know I know it seems impossible but I have the fuselage for both airplanes but no wings. This is after many years of storage. How do I go about finding replacements?
Jeff Hills is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Hills
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:18 AM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
676 Posts
I know this may be a little late, but have you tried http://ironbaymodelcompany.com/?
They bought all the molds and tooling from Byron. I bought some replacement parts for a Byron BD-5 I'm building.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Many thanks. I checked their web site. Good looking home page but no response to any clicking you can do anywhere on the screen.

Oh well, I sent them an email and crossed my fingers.

Appreciate the tip anyway.

Jeff Hills
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:18 AM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hills View Post
Many thanks. I checked their web site. Good looking home page but no response to any clicking you can do anywhere on the screen.

Oh well, I sent them an email and crossed my fingers.

Appreciate the tip anyway.

Jeff Hills
The website has been neglected for a while. but when I called them on the phone, my spare parts showed up in a few days. That was a few years ago, tho.

Rafael
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:15 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,216 Posts
If you ever decide to part with the glasair fuse, id be interested
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jun 19, 2014, 06:19 AM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Yes I would sell both the Glasair and the Pipe Dream. the Glasair has a really nice professional white paint job.

Where you? I am in VT.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:10 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,216 Posts
Im in Florida. Do you have any pics?
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Not right now.AminPinehurst for US women's Open. Pix in a few days. The Glasair fuse looks great.
Jeff
Old Jun 22, 2014, 04:17 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
I'm interested in the pipe dream. Can you post pics of it also? Thanks.

Henry
bugdude is offline Find More Posts by bugdude
Old Jul 05, 2014, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
At long last here are the pictures I promised a week or two ago. The Byron Glasair is a classic quarter scale airplane with a fiberglass body. White paint is automotive - prepped and sprayed by a really talented body shop guy. The construction is "by the book" - which is included. Control linkages are there but not the servos. Steerable tail wheel. Dog is for scale. Fuselage length is 60 inches.

Missing are the wings and the plexiglas windscreen.

You can order replacement wings from the guy at flyingfoam.com

It has been stored undisturbed in a loft above my garage for at least 20 years. It is for sale for $125 which is way less than what I paid for it 20 years ago.

I can't see how I can ship this. I am in Dorset, VT
Old Jul 05, 2014, 03:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Here is the Byron Pipe Dream. It was designed for the guy who wanted an entry level introduction to quarter scale flying. Recommended motor was a Quadra 35 or a Quadra 50 (both of which were sold by Byron at the time. Either motor would power the Glasair as well.

The fuselage is simply a pipe. Servos and linkages were housed in a simple but effective pod. Fuselage length is 52 inches. Built according to the plans but never flown. Servos (useless as they are 20+ years old) and linkages are present.

Stored carefully in peace and quiet in a loft above my garage for years and years.

The wings are missing. The dog is for scale.

Asking $100 for it. You can get replacement wings for it at flyingfoam.com. The wing was interchangeable with the Glasair shown above ... so if you buy both you will only need one set of wings.

I think you will need to come pick it up in Dorset, VT.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:21 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
676 Posts
Your glassair will look a lot better if you install the cowl the other way around.

More here:
Google Image Search "Glassair"
Rafael
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:54 PM
Joined Sep 2014
1 Posts
better late than never.

Hi Jeff, Do you still have the planes? I vacation in New Hampshire very frequently, from Rhode Island. If you still have them, I might be interested in both. I had the opportunity to buy a pipe dream a while back, but I blew it. F#@$ed by the fickle finger of finances at the time. Thanks Diverguy
diverguy is offline Find More Posts by diverguy